1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

What really annoys you?

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by California Sun, Oct 9, 2019.

1. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    What really annoys you? One thing that really annoys me is platitudes. I hate platitudes. They are about the worst, most insensitive thing anyone can say to someone
    going through a bad time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Nothing annoys me. I am unannoyable. Pure, virtuous, & all-angelic.

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    Nathan, not even when I don't get around to answering your PM for three or four days? It's on my to do list.

4. Autumninthefall

Autumninthefall Active Member

Aug 10, 2019
    When people promise to help...and never do

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. California Sun

May 23, 2019
    A lack of common courtesy annoys me. Unfortunately, common courtesy is becoming less and less common.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    A lack of common Sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    When driving. Another driver stops, so pedestrian can walk across the road. Thereby risking everyone behind him crashing into each other, just so he could feel good about himself. All for an illegal J-walker who didn't even need or want him to stop in the first place.

8. California Sun

May 23, 2019
    Pollyanna optimists. Being positive and hopeful is a good thing but not to the point of denying reality.

9. California Sun

May 23, 2019
    Drivers who stop in "no stopping" zones, forcing the other drivers to change lanes. I live near a school, and sometimes I must drive by there at dismissal time. The street on one side of the school faces a very busy main street. There are "no stopping" signs about every 10 feet. People ignore the signs and park there to pick up their kids. It stopped for a short time but now they're doing it again. What do they not understand about "no stopping"?

10. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Not even then, Cheryl. Entirely zen in this moment *gently strikes Himalayan singing bowl

11. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Agree. Pollyanna optimists get us into wars.

12. jamesbutler36

jamesbutler36 New Member

Dec 13, 2019
    when people start posting anything and everything on social media.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Autumninthefall

Autumninthefall Active Member

Aug 10, 2019
    Guilty! I’ve Often done this specifically to cope. I practice the, “fake it until you make it,” routine. I believe that was the whole point of the, “glad game,” wasn’t it? It just doesn’t help to focus(or mope, in Pollyanna’s case) on the misery of existence, so you better find something you like in those “missionary barrels.” Probably why Viktor Frankl appeals to me.

Screaming in agony at sound of Himalayan singing bowl

Well, I haven’t since last week at least. I prefer to diffuse situations. With my terrible sense of humor.

• Like Like x 1
  14. California Sun

May 23, 2019
    Being told "others have it so much worse than you". This makes me so angry it almost incites me to violence. It's a horrible, insensitive thing to say to a suffering person. Yes, I am well aware that others have it worse, but someone else having it worse doesn't change my bad situation or make it better.

15. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Research led by Zanna Clay & Frans de Waal suggests bonobos, unlike their cousins, the chimpanzee, implement sex to diffuse tension & resolve conflict.

To my mind this would be a superb idea roughly 5 - 10% of the time, while psychologically scarring the remainder of the time — subject to who it is you're in fact in conflict with.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Mr. Tom

Mr. Tom Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Where ever I park my RV
    Bad drivers especially tailgaters.......

17. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Tailgaters. Bad, yes. And what's worse is what I call timid tailgaters. They could make a move and go around you, but they're too scared or doubt their skills. Or they're so dense it doesn't even occur to them.

18. California Sun

May 23, 2019
    People who complain about their weight but are unwilling to make even the smallest dietary change.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Certain delusional overweight people I know. Every time you see them they make an issue of how they've lost weight. (They haven't, they've actually gained weight). Then they order something dainty, to act like this is how they eat now. (Then fork stuff off your plate). After a few drinks, they order 2nd meal. Something like chicken wings, or nachos (mask drops, ha). "I never eat this crap at home, only when we go out." Then tell you how they work out (no cardio. only weights. doesn't help. but doesn't involve them huffing and puffing, which they hate). They don't keep anything but health-food in their kitchen. But come to your house and munch down all your good stuff. Conversation is filled with how good they feel. Total lie.

I want to say, "dude, i can SEE you. you haven't lost an ounce in 15 years. i don't CARE that your fat. it's OKKKKKK."

Most overweight people aren't like this. But I've known a few who are. And have talked to others who know people like this too.

This is nothing against fat people. It's against bull*hitters who think that mere words can make the unreal real.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. California Sun

May 23, 2019
    Then you have the overweight people who eat sensibly in front of others, but it is quite obvious that they aren't eating that way when they are alone. I guess they think that overeating when no one sees them overeat somehow doesn't count as overeating.