1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Riding in a car is horrible. Anybody?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Gardengal, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    Hey guys, I have a general question. I have a very difficult time riding in the car. When I am feeling fine it still bothers me. I don’t really like to go more than an hour, I feel like it triggers dizziness. When I am in a rough patch I really hate it and avoid it, sending the husband out for groceries, etc. I have read where ppl feel better when they drive or feel bad when they go up a mtn or something.

I guess I was wondering if anyone feels this way and if anyone has any coping techniques. I wear sunglasses which helps. I just feel like my world is pretty small. Only about an hour from my home. Bleh.

2. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Yup me too.

My otoneurologist told me years ago that the vibration of the car is kind of a perfect frequency to make our messed up vestibular system feel yucky. Idling at a red light in old crappy cars is very gross for me.

If my head is feeling off, the speed of driving on faster roads also feels challenging.

I wonder if electric cars will be better for us, in terms of the vibrations factor. I’ve ordered an e-Golf. I’ll get it in 5 months - I’ll let you know how I like it!

3. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    PS sometimes I’ll nibble a bit of gravol, meclizine or clonazepam. Just enough to help, but doesn’t make me too sleepy to drive safely.

4. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    Hmm. Interesting! Glad I am not the only one. Do keep me posted on the e-car! I need to try meds when in the car. I also have little kids and they are loud which makes traveling particularly miserable for someone already suffering a bit.

5. Megan Henry

Megan Henry Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Driving helps my dizziness

6. Bonlyn

Bonlyn Active Member

Dec 29, 2017
    New York
    Motion sickness is stated to be a classic problem for people with vestibular migraine and migraine associated vertigo.

Once we were driving back from Vermont in a violent rain storm, through the mountains. I started to feel the worst motion sickness ever, which ended up in a vertigo attack.

When I am in remission, I generally have no problems with motion sickness, unless I am in the back seat.

On the other hand, I know there have been times I have felt off and I drove in the car and felt a bit better.

I have menieres and mav. So maybe it depends on what kind of attack I am getting.