1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Perception of arrogance by others

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Michael68DC, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Michael68DC

Michael68DC New Member

Sep 28, 2018
    Washington, DC
    Interesting observation that I thought I would share for conversational as well as warning sake. I learned in my last 2 workplaces that I was seen by some as being arrogant. This came as a complete shock because throughout my career I was always the friendly one, willing to help anyone. I realized that my behavior and appearance had changed as a result of this disease, and that caused a perception shift among my coworkers, manifest as “arrogance”.

This made sense to me when I gave it some thought - I typically have a pained, distant look on my face, when I walked around the office I did so either looking down or focusing on a distant object for stability avoiding too much eye contact or interaction along the way, in meetings I was typically stoic, just focusing on listening to others over the tinnitus, swirling head, and at least low-grade migraine. When answering people who stopped by my desk, I answered in the minimum and didn’t encourage anyone to stay behind and just chat, not the most desirable thing when you feel like crap.

Once I realized all of these things together, it made sense that the perception of me by sensitive people might be one of disconnectedness, superiority, and arrogance….who can assume that someone who *looks* normal has this kind of crap going on in their head.

I decided that one tactic to help avoid this is to tactfully make my condition known to co-workers, even inviting key people to coffee/lunch and tactfully sharing some information and how it affects me in the office. I could also lightly suggest that I don’t mind if this information is shared, with the hope that the information would trickle down, providing at least a chance that judgement could be replaced with understanding and some empathy/sympathy.

Not sure if this resonates with anyone in the group, but perhaps this may explain others' similar observations and avoid any new ones.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  2. wendy

wendy Member

May 18, 2019
    My disease definitely changed the way I interact with people. Sometimes (often) I long for the "before me.". When you are trying to navigate the world with this condition, your attention is focused inward and not outward. Great insight on your part, and I think your solution is on the mark.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    I make my condition known to those I must interact with on a regular basis. I also make it known that I am hard of hearing because I hate anyone thinking that I am not listening or paying attention to them, that if I miss something said it's because I can't hear. People do tend to be a lot more understanding if they know what is going on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Absolutely Michael. Too often we expect people to be mind readers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    @Michael68DC, this totally resonates with me, having worked in an office environment for more than 20 years, 15 of which with this diagnosis. Very enlightening when someone points it out. Thanks for sharing!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Leonora

Leonora New Member

Oct 7, 2019
    It certainly does change interpersonal relationships for me as well. As you mentioned, we are so focused on maneuvering our environment that laughter and chattiness don't come easily or as naturally as it once did. I have always been a friendly person but it is much more of an effort to engage in that level of casual friendliness nowadays. I'm sure I come across as 'distant'.
    I like your idea of letting folks know what is going on with you. I think it will bridge that gap you are felling between yourself and others. Knowledge and understanding are powerful tools.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    I can remember when I was working and my menieres was at it's worse. I had to ask my coworkers to write down their requests for assistance because my brain just could not remember 3 or more tasks at a time. One co-worker was very difficult to work with. When she asked me "what is wrong with you?" is when I realized how "brain fog" was affecting my work relationships. Thanks for your post Michael this is something we all can relate to and a reminder that most people can't understand the nature of menieres.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TxAttyGal

TxAttyGal New Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Los Angeles
    At my job, I was told the perception was that I wasn’t happy there and didn’t like my job. I was surprised, but it made sense. I do many things to reduce symptoms such as limiting group conversations, taking many short breaks to be in quiet by myself, wearing earplugs, etc. This can come across as withdrawn and unengaged.
    I, too began sharing more about how this condition affects me and how I manage that. I still have these conversations on an ongoing basis, and things are better all around.
    Becky

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Michael68DC

Michael68DC New Member

Sep 28, 2018
    Washington, DC
    It's really great to hear from you and others on this thread that sharing with coworkers is helpful, I suspected that to be the case I believe after it was too late...and it's sharing the personal effects of the condition and not just the clinical facts. A friend turned me on to an Amazon Prime series called "Modern Love" and one of the episodes had Anne Hathaway as a woman with severe bipolar disorder. She wound up sharing the condition with her boss only after she got fired and went on to say it felt like an elephant off her chest, and her boss said she wish she knew earlier because that explains so much and made her feel more connected with her. That, along with the ADA laws (in the US) is a strong motivator for sharing what we're going through. Chances are other people (or close family/friends) are also going through some inconvenient medical condition, so there is likely empathy where it may not be expected. I have been shocked at how many people reply with "Oh wow, my mother/father/brother/friend as XYZ ear problem also". I'm looking for a new position at the moment and will plan to put all of this into practice when I land somewhere. Thanks for everyone for sharing their experience and for their kind feedback.

• Winner Winner x 1