1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Is it Menieres

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Wendy0914, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Wendy0914

Wendy0914 New Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Hi Everyone
    Been reading a lot about causes of dizziness and getting more confused. Told a few weeks ago I have Menieres after a bad bout of dizziness and dry heaves. Someone on here suggested maybe it was Bppv . I had that one bad attack in July but since then dizzy mostly when turning over in bed or looking up and seems to be more positional.

Do I understand correctly that Menieres is more a series of attacks rather than a daily dizziness when changing position?

If so the BPPV diagnosis seems to make more sense to me.
    Also told Menieres is in the right ear, however I sometimes have pain and a feeling of fluid in my left ear and also a popping in my ears. So am wondering if perhaps that is a eustachian tube problem.

And I way off track here?
    Grateful for any input anyone has

2. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Who told you it was Menieres? Do you have other symptoms? Have you seen an ent? You haven't provided much info here.

Happening when you turn over in bed is associated with bppv.

3. Wendy0914

Wendy0914 New Member

Oct 16, 2019

4. Wendy0914

Wendy0914 New Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Was told by ENT about 20 years ago I have the otosclerosis and assumed that was the problem again.That doctor has since retired and after this episode in July waited two months to get into another. He did hearing test and based on that said it was not otosclerosis but Menieres. He really was not very helpful or give me much information but followed up with ENG test which he said would point more whether it was Menieres or not. Called and said the test did point toward Menieres but no further treatment needed at this time and to call if I had symptoms again. He totally ignored that I still have dizziness and popping in my ears and other symptoms.
    Have had off and on dizziness all these years somewhat worse the last few months.

I don't notice the ringing in ears or tinnunitis that others talk about. Just Popping in my ears, and ear pain in left ear sometimes.
    Dizziness is mostly when I look up, turn over in bed, or sometimes going up stairs.

Thanks

5. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Time to find a real Dr. I suggest an Oto Neuro. Or, at least an ENT that seems to care.

6. Wendy0914

Wendy0914 New Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Yes I agree. That is where I am at. A friend recommended one she likes but they don't take medicare☹️

7. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    This was difficult for me. I finally struck gold on my third try. You know when you have a Doc who cares. It starts with actually listening to you and answering your questions, or, at least trying to answer them.

8. Wendy0914

Wendy0914 New Member

Oct 16, 2019

9. Wendy0914

Wendy0914 New Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Well I'm now more convinced that it's BPPV rather than Menieres. Was just at the chiropractor and discussing with her and when I turned over got really dizzy and she said she could see Nystagmus eye movements. Suggested I try Epley Maneuver.