1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Exhausted.. all the damn time

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by MaryR, Nov 6, 2019.

1. MaryR

MaryR New Member

Jul 25, 2019
    Hi friends,
    Hope everyone is having a good week and feeling ok.

I am soooo happy to report that my horrible vertigo, nystagmus, vomiting spells seem to be getting (somewhat) under control, thanks to boatloads of Betahistine, as well as being 4 months in to JOH, B5/B6, pycnogenol, and 3 months in to Valacyclover, monolaurin, oregano oil, etc etc.

But man, I am just absolutely exhausted! All the time. I cannot get enough sleep. And even when I do, I’m just so drained and wiped out from simple activities like taking my kids to swim practice or doing any of my own professional work that I just want to lay down in bed. Many, many times in a day. For hours. And once I lay down it takes so much effort to get up and get moving. I’m not used to feeling this sluggish and exhausted. I feel so lazy and unproductive... I’m sooo behind on my work, my house is a disaster, I haven’t cooked a meal in forever.. I am just so depleted of energy.

Anyone else experience this? Is this a direct effect of the Menieres, or am I just taking too much medication and/ or messing with my general nutrition with all my dietary restrictions and food elimination trials? Can anyone share advice on ways to combat this exhaustion/ laziness/ fatigue? Unfortunately caffeine is my enemy.. learned this the hard way.
    Thanks for listening. As always, I’m beyond grateful for this group.. don’t know how I would have made it through the last few months without you all.
    xx,
    Mary

2. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Mary I found that fatigue is diffinetly a symptom of menieres. I never took supplements so I can tell you that was not the cause of my exhaustion. Leading up to a full blown attack I required a lot of rest. After the attack subsided I would be in bed for 24 hours before I regained my strength. That was my experience before I slayed the beast.

3. Pa Cowboy

Pa Cowboy Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Being exhausted is all part of this syndrome.

4. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    In my experience, I have felt fatigued and exhausted as a result of this nasty disease regardless of how much sleep I would get. The worse the symptoms, the more fatigued and exhausted I felt. Even without the dizziness/vertigo, the symptoms are debilitating. The dizziness/vertigo only makes things even worse.

5. DavidBarker

DavidBarker New Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Same here.... falling asleep every evening. 7pm Monday, 8.30pm last night. Seems to have no relationship to a good or bad day. Glad to hear it's not just me!

6. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    May be a side affect to all the betahistine you are taking. I was always exhausted and slept hours after a vertigo event. But I have always maintained a 13-14 hour schedule even thru this crap. Talk to your Dr.

7. Daniel

Daniel Member

Mar 3, 2019
    An Effect of Oak-Wood Extract (Robuvit®) on Energy State of Healthy Adults—A Pilot Study
    Effect of the French Oak Wood Extract Robuvit on Markers of Oxidative Stress and Activity of Antioxidant Enzymes in Healthy Volunteers: A Pilot Study

These are links to published papers showing positive results to combatting fatigue with French Oak Wood extract. You're probably not too thrilled to see another supplement suggestion, but it can't hurt to consider experimenting with it. It seems to be well tolerated. I just started taking it 4 days ago and do notice a slight increase in ability to fight off fatigue throughout the day. Like you, caffeine is a trigger for me, so thats out, so I've been looking for a way to be as productive as possible all while keeping my symptoms at bay.

Interestingly, French oak wood extract acts as an antioxidant and produces certain enzymes, one of them being glutathione peroxidase (gpx). I mention this because this is the same enzyme that is produced by spi-1005, a clinical trial drug by Sound Pharmaceuticals that was very recently fast-tracked by the FDA for approval.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Aaron

Aaron New Member

Aug 9, 2019
    Mary, I'm sorry you're feeling so tired but it's great that you're seeing some improvement in your vertigo. Has there also been any improvement in hearing loss, aural fullness, or tinnitus with your regimen?

9. bubblesdad

bubblesdad New Member

Feb 19, 2015

10. bubblesdad

bubblesdad New Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi Mary, hi all. My take on the exhaustion: just staying upright takes effort and concentration. If I can’t count on my vestibular system for balance, then I must use my eyes and conscious effort just to stand, to sit, to walk twenty feet. All that mental work adds up. No wonder we’re tired! Another example: my deafness takes the form of scrambled frequencies. It’s called “amusia.” As a musician (sigh), I am very much aware that as I play notes on the piano, they don’t sound where they are supposed to. A C may go into my ear, but I may hear it as a b-flat or an f-sharp. Pitches are just frequencies— A above middle C, for example, is 440 cycles per second (Hertz). Musician or not, when your frequencies are scrambled, it takes a tremendous expenditure of energy just to comprehend language. See what I mean? We Ménièreites have to work hard just to exist. No wonder we’re exhausted.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    I was very drowsy when I tried Serc (behahistine).

• Like Like x 1