1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Steroid injections for MD

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Chris Bryant, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Chris Bryant

Chris Bryant New Member

Nov 5, 2019
    Hi All,

Sorry to post another question so soon, don’t mean to hog the board!

I’d like to ask of people’s experienced with steroid injection.

I’m set to have my first injections on Dec 12th following my current prescription of betahistine.

Based on how I’ve been managing on the betahistine, I think I’m ready to try the injection in my right ear, I’m just a little nervous.

I’m nervous as I’ve read in some instances of it triggering MD to become binaural, of which I obviously don’t want to push. Has anyone had this experience? My Doctor said this is more a chance taken with the procedure to kill off the ear, rather than the steroids.

I’m also aware it can also leave a permanent perforation in the ear drum, but to be fair, my hearing is now so bad in my right ear, I’m not that concerned about any further damage of sorts.

Noting a lot of posts here are from the US, I’m finding here in scotland that Ménière’s is looked upon as a compete oddity and the Doctor I see has very limited thoughts on preventatives.

I’ve learned more in two days on this site than 3 years at ENT!

Thanks again

Chris

2. Sue

Sue New Member

Nov 7, 2019
    Hi Chris
    My first post on here!

I’ve had Menieres for the last 5 years. Initially I was prescribed a duretic med which seemed to help. But over the last two years my episodes started to be more acute, v debilitating and more frequent.
    As a result my consultant recommended steroid injections.
    I’ve had two treatments to date. The first mid Aug this year and the other 5 weeks ago. As you are aware the injection is used to sedate the symptoms of Ménières with the injection given to the ear in question.
    The steroid is only used to target the menieres - and you may still have some dizzy spells - as you will have no balance on that side after.
    I was informed by my surgeon it could take a number of attempts before this treatment will work and that symptoms can be heightened after the procedure.
    Since my last injection 5 weeks ago I still experience dizziness some days but the menieres I’ve had two episodes. It seems that I will need another injection. My understanding I that the steroid injection doesn’t damage the already damaged hearing in the ear.
    There is another injection available which is an antibiotic called ‘gentimison’ - not sure if that is the right spelling. Apparently this is a very successful treatment but there is a v high risk of loosing your hearing in the ear. I don’t really want to have that done.
    Re the steroid injection - I felt no discomfort or pain immediately after the procedure or during the weeks that followed. It’s a very quick op done with a general anaesthetic. So don’t worry about it - you’ll be fine. I have not noticed any real change in my hearing or balance.
    I hope this has been of some help to you.

Suzanne

3. Mustang1

Mustang1 Member

Jun 21, 2019
    Upstate NY
    I had three injections last year over a one month period for my Meneries. There was a burning sensation that dissipated soon after the injections. Unfortunately this did help at all, I then had a endolymphatic sac surgery and that was no help. This past Aug. I had a labyrinthectomy, complete loss of hearing for that ear, but no more vertigo! Should have done this sooner.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Steroid injections did not help me at all. Hope they work out for you.

5. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    I had a series of three injections a week apart. They were no help at all.

There may have been a misunderstanding between Sue and her doctor, as steroid injections do not destroy balance in the injected ear.

I was left with a permanent perforation in my eardrum from the injections. I believe the injections were done in 2008 and I still have the perforation. It could be patched if it were causing me problems, but since it isn't, I'm leaving well enough alone.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Steroids didn't help me either. My eardrum was punctured by the injection, which wasn't a problem at the time, but became a huge issue later on when I had caloric testing (warm and cold water squirted in the ear to stimulate vertigo and measure the reaction). The prior puncture ruptured, which set off months of daily/weekly vertigo, eventually stopped by labyrinthectomy surgery. I would not recommend steroid injections to anyone, given the possible risks and unlikely rewards.

7. KaSchu

KaSchu New Member

Oct 25, 2019
    I've had 2 steroid injections in the past 15 years, and neither has done much for me. One was just a few weeks ago, and it got rid of my roaring tinnitus for about 24 hours only. I've had better luck with oral steroids. Has your doctor tried those first? I've never had an problems relating to them

It's funny, in over 27 years since my diagnosis, I've never been prescribed betahistine. My docs have always prescribed diazepam to help with dizziness. From what I've read, not all doctors consider betahistine to be that effective.

Even in the US, most general practitioners and even some ENT's don't understand Meniere's. I think it's really important to find a doctor who specializes in hearing & balance. My guess is that's more likely in a large city, so if you're anywhere close to Glasgow (or even Edinburgh or Aberdeen), you might want to look there. Good luck!

8. Saera

Saera Active Member

Jul 5, 2019
    I also did steroid injections. Two separate series. Did not help me at all.

9. Chris Bryant

Chris Bryant New Member

Nov 5, 2019
    Thanks for this. It’s interesting reading through this board, I have noticed very few people in the US mentioning betahistine, whereas my experience is it’s the go to here in the UK. It’s that and stemetil and that’s basically it. That said, with an increased dose, I think betahistine has helped minimise how violent my attacks are. I was told oral steroids were pointless as the my won’t reach the point of the problem, hence the need for injection.

I’ve heard so little positive about the injection I’m now reconsidering getting it done.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Betahistine/Serc is not approved by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) in the US, so insurances generally don't cover the cost. Doctors can prescribe it, but it would have to be prepared by a compounding pharmacy. My understanding is that the FDA has not seen enough compelling studies of its effectiveness to approve in the US. Or it could just be a political decision. Hard to tell.

11. zotjen

zotjen Member

May 12, 2014
    A couple of times my doctor suggested getting steroid shots but I declined. I don't like the idea of having a needle stuck in my ear and even if it did bring relief, it's usually temporary.

12. Bonlyn

Bonlyn Active Member

Dec 29, 2017
    New York
    Hi Chris,

When I first was diagnosed with menieres the steroid injection gave me relief from vertigo . I would have an attack that would last a couple of weeks, get the injection.....actually usually needed two injections spaced a week a part ...and then would go in remission for a year. This cycle continued for a few years and this past year the shot did not work. ( long story short I developed something like MAV with menieres, which unfortunately is common for mm sufferers.)

When I have taken the steroid shot my vertigo was so severe, I just wanted relief. The shot really was not bad. I got a numbing shot first and then the injection. Kind of a pain washing your hair for the following week, you do not want to get water in the ear, but I felt it was worth it.

In regards to Betahistine, I get mine compounded in Massachusetts. I did not feel relief until dose upped to 32 mg 3 x a day. It definitely helps me with the aural ear pressure, and makes the vertigo attacks less severe and frequent. I remember someone posting on the forum ( awhile ago) they upped the dose even higher and they felt it worked even better.

I am not sure what symptoms you hope the shot alleviates. If you are having a lot of vertigo attacks, I would not fear the shot, it does seem to help some. Has your doctor said he has experience giving the shot, with a high success rate? That should give you some confidence.

Best to you. Bonnie

13. Bonlyn

Bonlyn Active Member

Dec 29, 2017
    New York
    Saera,

I have been thinking of you. Hope you are doing well and recovered from your procedure! Bonnie:)

14. Sue

Sue New Member

Nov 7, 2019
    Hi all
    I’ve just watched a video on utube called the ‘2017 vertigo balance Ménières and dizziness solutions’ from a doctor child’s in the US. It very interesting to listen to his neurological approach - treating the cause not the symptoms as most conventional consultants do i.e steroids, duratic tabs etc...
    I have started to look at my food allergies and found out that I have a leaky gut which can cause your immune system to attach your body.
    This video is well worth a look and gives a whole other approach.

Sue