1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Megan Henry, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Megan Henry

Megan Henry Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Hi guys!

So my tinnitus seems to be spiking little by little every month. It has now crept into my left ear. It started in my right ear as a faint high pitched noise and now it's layered with a lovely low hum and the high pitched T is now even louder. My left ear is not intolerable, just a high pitched little b&%#*. Does anyone else share this similar pattern/experience? How do you cope? Does it just continue to get worse? Seems like mine is progressing rather quickly. My hearing has not diminished hardly at all in the past 7 months since my 'diagnosis' of Meniere's, which I'm truly blessed and beyond grateful for. My right ear has slight hearing loss, but nothing too bad. That is what scares the absolute hell out of me, completely losing my hearing in both ears. Terrifies me actually. Oh and trying Betahistine without some of the fillers. The pharmacist says I was more than likely having an allergic reaction to the lactose filler in in. So we'll see! I feel like a lab rat.

2. TxAttyGal

TxAttyGal New Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Los Angeles
    I have tinnitus that fluctuates in volume and is pretty loud sometimes. It doesn’t bother me. I mask it with music or driving with the windows open (easy here in L.A). I also meditate specifically focusing my concentration on the tinnitus. I’m curious and investigate it: what are the tones, how loud is it, etc. That reduces its impact on me. This helps because I acclimate to it and don’t crave desperately for it to go away. This is a suggestion from the Mind Over Meniere’s website: Mind over Meniere's
    There are many excellent suggestions and resources there.
    Blessings,
    Becky

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. KaSchu

KaSchu New Member

Oct 25, 2019
    I've battled with tinnitus for years, but only recently had the pleasure of having incredibly loud, roaring jet engine sounds in my left ear with a loud ringing in my right. I swear to God, the next person who tells me they "know what I'm going through" because they have a soft, gentle little ringing in one ear, I will smack them back to last week. Not really, but I'll want to.

For me, though - it always goes away. Always. How long have you been dealing with it? The longest I've had a flare-up of tinnitus is 4 months. It sucks - but mine always stops eventually and I really hope it does for you, too. I can go YEARS without tinnitus, so there's hope.

How I cope? Loud music. White noise machines. Keeping the TV on. Living my life out loud. As tough as it can be to be around people when it's really bad- especially loud people - I find that the distraction helps.

After weeks of the dual ear symphony, I'm down to just a gentle ringing in one ear which, honestly, I hadn't noticed all day until I read this post. Distraction is key!!

As for hearing loss, I was diagnosed at age 23 & I'm 50 now and I still hear just fine when my ear isn't clogged up. And given how loud I listen to music and how many live concerts I've gone to is saying something.

Hang in there.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Megan Henry

Megan Henry Member

Oct 5, 2019
    I've been dealing with it for 7 months. 7 months of no-stop tinnitus. I also cover it up with various noises. I'm thankful it's coverable. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this as well. My neurologist thinks it's autoimmune but doesn't think I'll lose my hearing so that's awesome news.

5. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    I've had tinnitus since the end of 2004, so do the math. Some days its mild, some days it's strong...just depends. I have been deaf in my right ear for almost 6 years and have had tinnitus in that ear continually for at least 10 years. On good days, I don't have tinnitus my good ear...on bad days, I do. somehow, you come to terms with it and just try to live. I wish you the best.

6. KaSchu

KaSchu New Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Mine is though to be autoimmune, too. Do you have significant allergies? I do, and my doc thinks there's a link. I wish I had a magic cure all - it's so frustrating to be told you just have to learn to live with it.

One thing I forgot - a few times in the past when it got really bad, I took a homeopathic remedy called RingStop. One time, I took it daily for 4 months and my tinnitus went away. Now - did it go away because of the RingStop or because it was just ready to go away? It's probably the latter, but who knows? If you get desperate enough, maybe it's worth a shot.

7. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    For me, whether or not the tinnitus can be covered up and/or ignored depends upon the type of tinnitus and the intensity of the tinnitus. Some tinnitus simply can't be covered up or ignored.