1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

I have Serc, now what?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Jimii, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Jimii

Jimii Member

Apr 10, 2019
    I just received my first order of Serc. Talked my Dr. into a prescription when I was having a bad month (Sept.) I have been nearly symptom free (vertigo) for all of Oct until now. Should I even try it until I start another bad month, or try it now?

I have had Meniere's for 18 years, but the vertigo attacks only started this year.
    Had 2 in April, and 1 in Sept. April and May as well as Sept. were bad months, but the rest of the time I have felt fine.

Thanks

Jim

2. Dario

Dario Member

Apr 30, 2019
    Melbourne
    Not sure what your doctor has told you or what dose he/she has prescribed but my understanding is that you need to take it daily regardless of a bad month or not. it needs to continuously be in your system for it to work properly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jimii

Jimii Member

Apr 10, 2019
    I received 90 of the 16mg. I told him I would start at one per day and work my way up to three if necessary.
    Stomach problems may be an issue for me. He said that sounded like a good plan.

I just don't want to take something for 12 months a year when I have issues for 2-3 months.
    I already take three other things. Two meds and a supplement.

It's almost like I'm old or something.

Jim

4. Dario

Dario Member

Apr 30, 2019
    Melbourne
    I've had 3 attacks all spaced out about 6 months apart and after each attack I feel unstable for a few weeks after. My last attack was Feb this year and diagnosis happened in March. I have been on the daily Serc since early March and haven't had an attack since. If it was like clockwork then I should've had one in August as that was the 6 month mark since the last one. I do have waves of dizziness but it goes away very quickly. Not sure what to take from this experience but it does seem like Serc helps me a lot.

5. 911Timo

911Timo New Member

Sep 3, 2019
    West Palm Beach FL
    I been on Serc (8mg 3 times a day) for maybe 10 plus years now. I also take JOH regiment every day and have for more than 12-13 years. I least feel the difference soon as I stop for week or two so I just keep taking them every day now and don’t even try to “test” stopping. I could say that it’s been “best” 10-12 years for my MD and I’m almost symptom free.

6. Bonlyn

Bonlyn Active Member

Dec 29, 2017
    New York
    I did not feel the betahistine worked until I took 16 mg 3 x a day, it especially helped with the ear pressure, did not take it totally away but helped. Definitely made the vertigo less violent. It did not seem to affect my tinnitus, but in the scheme of things, tinnitus is less annoying to me than vertigo and aural pressure.

7. Jimii

Jimii Member

Apr 10, 2019
    Unfortunately I got about 7 pills in and I didn't feel well. I had to stop.
    It was dropping my BP too much. Felt terrible for a couple of hours in the morning 2 mornings in a row.
    I was winded after going up a flight of stairs. I'm only 51 and in decent shape.
    Only made it to two pills a day. I may start again, but one pill per day at night.
    I will have to talk to my cardiologist first.

Jim

8. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Maybe it’s good to try it while you’re feeling well, just to test it for side effects, and how well you tolerate it.
    If you have side effects, then at least you are one step ahead, knowing it’s not for you. If you’re fine on it, then you can decide to carry on with it, or stop and keep it handy to try if/when the vertigo flares up again.

I tried it years ago. I was glad that I kept notes - it made me drowsy (rare side effect). If I hadn’t kept my notes, I’d have forgotten, and would have had to do the experiment all over again last year!

9. Speedyhaze

Speedyhaze New Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Worthing United Kingdom
    Hi I am from the UK and meds seem to be different here, I have suffered Menieres for years and always took Prochlorperazine for bad attacks, I have just suffered a major attack this week but my doctor has prescribed Arlevert, I have not taken any yet as I am over the worst so will leave it to try when I next have an attack, has anyone else tried this medication. I tried Serc a couple of years ago but unfortunately it made me feel spaced out and light headed so I stopped taking it.