1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

SERC - Antivom

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Jacqui, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Jacqui

Jacqui Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Athens, Greece
    I notice that those of you in the US are paying crazy prices to get Betahistine, if helps we have it here in Greece over-the-counter labelled as Antivom. Very cheap, never more than €5.60 ($6.10) for 50 tablets (8mg). If you have friends travelling to Greece you could ask them to stock up for you or post some home. All pharmacies carry it, just mention 'labrynthitis' and they know what you want. Γαληνός - Φάρμακο - ANTIVOM

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. MaryR

MaryR New Member

Jul 25, 2019
    Thank you for that info! Betahistine has been a life saver for me. Literally. But I require a much heavier dose than is usually initially prescribed here in the US. After some trial and error, it seems like 48mg three or four times a day is my minimum maintenance dose, and i have to double or triple that during really bad days. I have my compounding pharmacy make 48 mg capsules so I only have to take 1 pill at a time.

It IS extremely expensive... $570 for 210 48mg pills, which sometimes only lasts me one month. But I figure it’s cheaper than surgery and if it keeps the spins at bay it’s the best money I’ll ever spend. At this point I’d sell my home or my firstborn child if it meant no more vertigo episodes!! (Just kidding. Sort of). Lol.
    My sister was recently in Canada and got a few blister packs of Betahistine 16mg for just a few dollars.

Jacqui... do you know if Betahistine/ Serc/ Antivom is available over the counter in other European countries in addition to Greece? Maybe I should put my $570/month towards a plane ticket to Europe and buy up all the Betahistine I can get my hands on!!

Does anyone else rely on Betahistine? I know my dose sounds extreme, but I showed this article to my Neurotologist and she said whatever I need is fine, it won’t hurt me.

This is the article....

High-dosage betahistine dihydrochloride between 288 and 480 mg/day in patients with severe Menière's disease: a case series. - PubMed - NCBI

thanks again for the great info Jacqui!!

warmly,
    Mary

3. Jimii

Jimii Member

Apr 10, 2019
    MaryR,

I just got a months supply at a Canadian pharmacy. $70 shipped.
    90 16 mg tablets. The 24 mg are $58 for a 100.
    You will need a prescription.
    I was unable to tolerate even 2 pills a day unfortunately.

Jacqui,
    Any Greek online pharmacies that actually sell it?

Jim