1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Functional Neurologists

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Bonlyn, Nov 30, 2019.

Why is this asking me to post a poll if I want to start a thread?

Poll closed Dec 1, 2019.
  1. It is a glitch

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. That is why I never start a thread

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bonlyn

Bonlyn Active Member

Dec 29, 2017
    New York
    Hello All

I just wanted to start this thread with the title functional neurologist with easier access. There seems to be mention of functional neurologists (FN) throughout the forum, but not necessarily dedicated to it.

First functional neurologists, are mainly chiropractors with extra certification in Neurology or neurologists with a chiropractic background. They are certified with the American Chiropractic Neurology Board. Or the ACNB.

Do not get turned off by the chiropractic, if you think you do not need one of those, an FN looks at the whole person and picture.

To cut to the chase I will post the most practical part of this post...how to find one in the US (sorry not sure out of US) and then go into the bla bla of why I am posting.

You may go to their website to check it out.... www.acnb.org or if you just want to locate one that is accredited go to

Www.acnb.org/doctorlocator.aspx

On November 8, 2019 svines started a thread...a great video by a doctor on vertigo. (Maybe a more tech- y person can post it under this thread.) This video is a good introduction made by a doctor who is a functional neurologist in PA.

If you find someone who is a functional neurologist, it is probably good to make sure they are accredited. Unfortunately there are not so many of these doctors and some may have gone in it to make money and charge more than they should ( sadly like in many fields) or try to make extra money on supplements or regiments that may not be necessary.

But if you go to a good one, then it will be worth your money and time. ( Especially if you tried everything else.)

I went to one near Greenwich, CT. I was charged $230 for the first visit and evaluation (post appointments are less.) As this is an affluent part of the country, considered suburb of metropolitan NYC, I would hope it would be less expensive for people in other places. My point being...if they are going to charge you $600 for the first visit, I would try to find a different one.

From the video svines posted, my FN doctor did the same thing, determine which of the 4 reasons he felt my problems were coming from.

Now the bla bla...read only if nothing better to do

Mine turned out to be more allergens.

I went to the FN after I tried almost all of the protocols recommended on this forum. I also put myself on all of the diets...low salt, low histamine, low arginine, no gluten, no dairy, no sugar, haha no taste, etc

.( I still take JOH) because afraid to go off. I also have gone the more traditional route and have been to ents, neurotologists, otologist, 4 traditional neurologists, 3 chiropractors, immunotherapist/ allergist, homeopathic md, regular internal med dr, endocrinologist, physical therapy, vestibular therapy, optamologist and tested for tmj.

How did I end up at a functional neurologist? -- When I first was diagnosed with menieres, the steroid injection to the ear would put me in remission for a year or so, then I also added the JOH regime and betahistine.

This last attack-- 6 months ago, did not seem to respond to anything. I started the B regime, but still not good. From May to September I had 7 to 12 hour vertigo attacks every other day, from September to the end of Oct. At least one severe attack every week, one seemed to last 3 days.

In July they decided I had a variant of MAV and put me on some dreadful meds that made me worse, not better

From all of these attacks I was having terrible neck pains, so I decided I would go to a chiropractor in the town I live in ( who is often on the Dr. Oz show) and she said " you need to go to a functional neurologist, I will find you a good one," and that is how I got connected. I felt I had nothing to lose. I felt I was just existing, not really living.

I can not say confidently I am cured, maybe this is just remission of sorts, but at least I have been in vertigo remission for the past 3 weeks..or so, and functional enough to go back to my teaching position this past week ( after being out since June, minus summer break.). So I am so thankful for that. I am only 52 so I need to work, and I really did not want to lose my job.

Since this disorder is so idiopathic it's so hard to know why we get it. It seems if the reason you have it is anti-viral then this sight is the most helpful, because many of you found relief going that route. But if the anti-virals or JOH do not work maybe try a functional neurologist, just to save time going down paths that not only may lead you nowhere, but make you worse.

So in addition to following a strict diet, I continue to follow JOH, take betahistine and will take claritin if I start to get aural pressure.

I am especially thankful to the forum because as you know when you are going through an especially long attack it can be quite discouraging. Even if some of the protocols did not work for me, it gave me hope when I logged on and saw encouraging posts or potential remedies. The site does help me feel I am not alone and I am forever grateful.

Sorry this post is so long, may you be blessed in a special way if you read it all!

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. MaryR

MaryR New Member

Jul 25, 2019
    Hi Bonlyn,
    I'm glad to hear that you've had a few good weeks. That is something to be especially grateful for this Thanksgiving weekend.
    Thank you for sharing this very helpful information. I've been hearing more and more about "Functional Neurologists" but truthfully had no idea what that meant. I wasn't aware that they weren't MDs. I have been thinking this might be the next step for me in my journey and the resources you've provided are wonderful. I'd love to hear more details about your experience, and what types of testing the FN did. And also, if it's not against the forum rules, would you mind sharing the name of the person who you saw? I am in NYC and would happily make the trip to Conn if you recommend your provider.
    Thanks, as always, for your dedication to this community and the resources and info you share.
    Warmly,
    Mary

3. Megan Henry

Megan Henry Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Did anyone get worse before they got better when seeing a functional neurologist. My balance just went down the toilet this past week. The functional neurologist says it's my brain forming new neural pathways. What do you guys think? Has anyone experienced this?

4. Joney

Joney Active Member

Apr 12, 2019
    Yes, yes, and yes! Don’t give up...the process can be slow, but so worth it.

5. Megan Henry

Megan Henry Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Joney! Thank you so much! I was getting so discouraged. Thank you! I will keep at it. I presume you had great success with you FN?

6. Joney

Joney Active Member

Apr 12, 2019
    Megan - I’ve been seeing a functional neurologist for about six months - two to three times per week, 30 minutes per session. I’ve done neurofeedback and the gyrostim (not sure if your guy uses this, but if he doesn’t please look it up - it’s fascinating) for most of my sessions. I also do numerous eye exercises every single day, several times a day, but this I do at home...and work. I can honestly say that I have not had dizziness in months. My concentration has gotten much better. My anxiety has lessened so much and weirdly, my eyesight got better. I actually had to get new glasses which were not as strong as the ones I just got in February! So there was a big bonus. Also, I have cut down my need for chiropractor visits because the anxiety has decreased. So now instead of going once a week to, at most, every two weeks. The last time I got adjusted was over a month and a half ago!!! So yes, I believe I’ve had a lot of success. Feel free to ask me anything else about this process if you want.