1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

What really annoys you?

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by California Sun, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    I'm reminded of that saying, "Don't judge a book by its cover." I am overweight. I don't overeat in front of others and I don't overeat when no one sees me.

For the past two years or so, I've been dealing with excruciating back pain and sciatica. I get little to no exercise. I'm not happy with my situation. I've tried PT, chiropractic adjustments, anti-inflammatories, muscle relaxers, an epidural and in July I underwent back surgery. I'm still in pain.

It's a major event just to go to the grocery store. I make a list and park as close as I can get to the entrance. Once inside, I grab a cart to lean on to help me get around. I get what I need as quickly as possibly and get right back to the car. Once back home, I only bring in the groceries that need to go into the freezer or refrigerator. I leave the others for my husband to carry in when he gets home. Some mornings I can barely make it from bed to the bathroom. Stairs are a nightmare.

Before I started having the back pain, I walked every day, a two mile walk in the morning and again in the evening. Most evenings I have a grilled chicken breast or pork chop, broccoli, yellow squash or spinach, sometimes a little brown rice and a green salad. I rarely have sweets. Yes, I do have the occasional piece of pizza or hamburger and fries or bowl of chili.

So, you also have the overweight people who do not overeat, but have gradually added pounds due to circumstances beyond their control. It's pretty shortsighted to see a person and label him/her as an over eater when you know absolutely nothing about the circumstances that led to them being overweight. Things aren't always "quite obvious."

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Cheryl. Agree. I'm only criticizing the BS'ers I know personally. When I see someone overweight in public I don't judge them. Besides the physical ailments that can cause it, there's the hidden emotional issues they struggle with.

Anyway, gosh, I'd no idea you were hurting like that. To me you are the cool 'n stable Cheryl. I'm kinda floored.

Can you use Instacart for your groceries? Or Uber-delivery or some such?

3. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    I am well aware that a small percentage of overweight people are overweight due to circumstances beyond their control. I was referring to people I actually know or have known in the past and do know that their weight issues are/were due to lifestyle choices and their unwillingness to make changes.