1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Looking for new insight ...

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by dscubs, Dec 10, 2019.

1. dscubs

dscubs New Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Hi all,

I have not been here for a couple of years, but back seeking new information.

My first attack of tinnitus/vertigo occurred at age 15. Then a cluster of vertigo attacks in my late 30's, then nothing for 10 years. At age 50, tinnitus/vertigo returned intermittently; I would have a couple of bad attacks in a cluster, then nothing for months. But at age 60, tinnitus became bilateral and more constant. Less vertigo, but more frequent dizziness, and drop attacks, ranging from mild/few seconds to being knocked off my feet as if I'd been flipped from behind. Now, at 63, I've tried diuretics, lower sodium, betahistine, a course of prednisone, JOH regimen, and dexamethasone injections - but none of those interventions made much of a difference. I'm in good shape for my age and still run a few days a week. I use hearing aids which help. But there are some days when tinnitus keeps me from functioning; dizziness or a drop attack usually follows. Next interventions from Mayo Clinic include sac decompression or gentamicin. I also see a chiropractor for upper cervical adjustments, and a nutritionist, who took me off sugar/wheat/dairy and has been giving me specific supplements for the last 6 months. The nutritionist says that she thinks my body is making progress toward healing/reversal of menieres, but I need to be patient. Fasting for a day or two always helps to relieve tinnitus and dizziness - for a couple of days to about 2 weeks. Determining triggers have been a mystery - it's been hard to pattern, even with a diary. I have a few cards yet to play: acupuncture, a different chiropractor/nutrition approach, restart the JOH regimen (I started the supplements all at once), or maybe the BennyHill strategy.

Looking for suggestions, please and thank you!

dscubs

2. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Have you been tested for allergies?

3. dscubs

dscubs New Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Hi Clare, thanks for responding.

I was tested by the nutritionist I've been working with. She used reflex testing, which revealed sensitivities to several foods. She recommended I avoid these food, which I've been doing. I'm considering another nutritional testing approach.

dscubs

• Like Like x 1
  4. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    No easy answers or choices with this beast. But it sounds like you are on the right track and in good hands. Are you happy with the Mayo Clinic?

I suppose you’ve read up on gentamicin and sac decompression, or do you have questions about those?

5. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    dscubs said:
    Fasting for a day or two always helps to relieve tinnitus and dizziness.

It was the fasting comment that led me to urge dscubs to read Buchholz. Diet and sodium intake.

6. Wayne

Wayne New Member

Jan 3, 2020
    I have the same kind of drop attacks. They are scary. The problem is they hit real fast and you really don't have any warning. I hope it gets better for you. The prednisone does seem to help me but it's not real healthy long term so I try to stay away from it.