1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Success with Mylan AVs?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by recoveringoptimist, Jan 8, 2020.

1. recoveringoptimist

recoveringoptimist Member

Aug 10, 2019
    I'm curious if anyone here is currently on Mylan AVs—specifically Valacyclovir—and seeing success with them.

I recently convinced my GP to prescribe AVs after sharing some of the medical journals posted here (thanks to all who post these). She even reached out to Dr. Gacek and has been in correspondence with him, which is awesome.

Thing is, I got my prescription filled and it was from Mylan. After being on it about a week, I returned to this forum and noticed some threads where people stated Mylan was "a dud" and it didn't work as well for them as Valacyclovir from other makers.

I'm now on day 12 on the medication and haven't noticed any real difference in my symptoms (hoping to see ear pressure and tinnitus subside as B vitamins have already been helping with dizziness). I'm well aware that it can take up to a few months to see any effect from AVs, so I'm going to be patient there. I'm simply worried about being on the wrong AV to start out.

I checked with my Walgreens to see which other generics they can fill and the options they mentioned were Camber and Aurobindo, which I've seen some negative reports on. I thought I'd ask about people's success with Mylan before looking into getting my prescriptions filled at another pharmacy that can offer North Star or Jubilant Cadista.

2. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Mylan was a dud for me. I started on NorthStar brand and experienced a few months of symptom-free living. Then I received a refill and didn't even look at the brand but within a few weeks felt terrible. At that time, someone on this site mentioned that people with other forms of herpes viruses (specifically genital herpes) were in an uproar on line about the ineffectiveness of Mylan. Sure enough, my refill was Mylan.

3. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    Teesdale, do you happen to remember, when you switched from Mylan back to Northstar, how long it took you to feel good again?

4. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Gardengal, I believe it was almost like starting from scratch. Six to eight weeks if I remember correctly.

Just a quick note: I changed medical plans and doctors so I'm getting no support on the prescription meds. So after a terrible summer and early fall, I started on the Monolaurin/Vitamin C/L-Lysine regimen proposed by Jon Bupo. For the past two months, I have been vertigo and dizzy free and I believe my hearing is better and tinnitus is more sane. I have also been on a Complex Vitamin B over the same amount of time. Frankly, I don't care which is working at this point I'm just grateful to be having all these good days.

Best of luck!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    So happy to hear about the regime working for you! I am going to start that in March! Are you doing monolaurin pellets?

6. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Nature's Life Monolaurin Capsules (2 capsules = 990mg). I take 2 capsules twice daily.

7. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    Two different times my script was filled with Mylan product and within 48 hrs I had issues. Since then I have found a pharmacy that will always fill my generic with Northstar.

8. Lax12mom

Lax12mom New Member

Oct 5, 2017
    I also switched to a small mom and pop pharmacy that only uses Northstar AV’s. I have been on them for a year. Between my TMJ treatment and the AV’s my ear only acts up in severe weather. Good luck!