1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Collagen peptides???

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by MaryR, Jan 18, 2020.

1. MaryR

MaryR New Member

Jul 25, 2019
    Hi friends,
    Hope everyone is happy and healthy and having a good week.
    So... I have a strange question.
    I have had a FANTASTIC run.... this is the best I’ve felt in years. I’ve had more than 6 weeks of no vertigo, no episodes, no spins, no wobbles, no fatigue, no brain fog, no “eye looseness”, if you know what I mean, and very manageable tinnitus. This is SHOCKING as I was having 3-4 debilitating episodes a week for over a year.
    I am trying to bottle whatever magic happened so I can make sure to keep doing it and never let go.
    The ONLY thing that changed in my medication, supplement, and treatment regimen is that I added a “beauty” collagen supplement (collagen I and III peptides) that I stir into my peppermint tea once a day that is supposed to reduce wrinkles, and support nail and hair strength. Looking back over my journals, I can trace feeling GREAT to almost the same day I started drinking the collagen in my morning tea.

So I guess my question is, for all the microbiologists and scientists and doctors out there... is there a connection? Perhaps a viral blocking mechanism in collagen peptides? Or does the collagen perhaps work as partner/ enhancer for lysine on the amino acid/ protein level?
    Or, am I off base with this hunch and my upswing is more likely a result of JOH and B5/B6 and pycnogenol and Valtrex, and heavy duty doses of Betahistine finally, finally kicking in after 6 months of consistent use? Or maybe just a lucky period of remission?
    I just keep going back to the introduction of collagen into my daily routine but I can’t find too much research on this. If anyone has any info I would be so grateful to read up on this further.

Maybe a long shot.. just wanted to run this by you all, who are much smarter and more experienced than I am!

thanks for any input.

warmly,
    Mary

2. wendy

wendy Member

May 18, 2019
    Interesting enough, both MSM which is in the JOH protocol and Lysine both support collagen production. You perhaps are onto something here. Can you give us more information on the collagen peptides you are using?

3. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Interesting..

I have always been interested in the whole polypeptide/peptide/protein aspect of how it can help this disease

4. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    What product are you using? Very interesting!

5. Riplip

Riplip Member

Mar 16, 2018
    NH
    Following....

6. Riplip

Riplip Member

Mar 16, 2018
    NH
    Would be nice if you add to your post since people are interested.

7. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    I'm not sure I know what you mean, Mary.

Personally speaking, I may possibly employ the term "eye looseness" casually only if I were pale, clammy, heavily sedated & standing precariously in an emergency room, arms by my side, while holding my eyeballs in the palm of one hand.

Considering your eyeballs were most likely located in their sockets while authoring this thread—& have hopefully remained anchored therein—by "eye looseness" do you possibly mean oscillopsia? A visual disturbance wherein objects in your visual field appear to oscillate?

8. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    Hey, she’s feeling good and living! Haha.

I looked on amazon and you can see tons of collagen I and iii peptide powders that you stir in drink. $20-$40 bucks for a month supply. Looks to be safe and resembles a protein powder that you would mix in smoothies.

9. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    I just bought some in tablet form. I think that if someone posted that drinking Drano helped their Meniere's, I'd be on Amazon buying some.

TLDR: JonBubo has posted that leaky gut syndrome is a possible cause of Ménière's. Eating Bone Broth soup is recommended to help repair leaky gut. And bone broth is packed with collagen! Maybe you had leaky gut syndrome and the collagen allowed your intestines to heal. Once healed, your immune system started to function properly which reduced your Ménière's symptoms.

I've been watching a documentary on Amazon called "What's with Wheat?" (it's free to watch if you have Amazon Prime) which explores the link between wheat and leaky gut. I've also watched a few videos on YouTube on leaky gut, which say that antibiotics destroy the "good bacteria" in your intestines, which lead to the intestines becoming damaged. This allows things to be absorbed into your bloodstream which normally wouldn't, causing problems with your autoimmune system.

A month before my ear started acting up, I got sick and was given antibiotics. I'm thinking that between the antibiotics, my age, and the food that I was eating (lots of sugar and gluten) I got leaky gut. This weakened my immune system causing my Ménière's. Instead of my leaky gut going away, I was prescribed more antibiotics several more times over the new few months. All the bacteria in my intestines must have been destroyed by that point. That's when I started getting horribly dizzy and nauseous - the stuff I was eating must have been practically going directly into my bloodstream.

I'm going to seriously treat myself for leaky gut. I had purchased some supplements based on what JonBubo wrote - but now I'm going all the way. I think that the collagen will help.

10. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    Is this what you mean?

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    At minimum, we will be dizzy with beautiful hair, nails, and skin!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    I did a little more research on leaky gut, and it's not a medically accepted thing. Much like JOH, I suppose. I'll try some of the suggestions, but I'm less enthusiastic about it. The stuff I heard about it checked off so many boxes for me.

13. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    Anybody try this? I bought some in powder form, stir it into my hotntes in the morning. I have been feeling a bit better the last few days. Going to town (1 hr round trip) without too much difficulty. Anyways, seems far fetched, but wondered if anyone else tried this....

14. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    Hot tea***

15. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    I bought collagen in pill form. I've only been taking them for a week, but no change. If anything, a smidge worse.

As of this morning, I stopped everything Ménière's related (AVs / JOH) because of vision problems, but I'm going to continue with the collagen since I started using it after my eye problems began.

16. Rich

Rich Member

Apr 21, 2019
    West Virginia

17. Rich

Rich Member

Apr 21, 2019
    West Virginia
    What kind of of vision problems are you having and how do you think it's associated to with the a/v's and joh?

18. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    I have a cluster of spots in my vision. I don't necessarily think that it's caused by the AVs or JOH, rather (hopefully) just that I'm getting too much of some nutrient between what I'm eating and what I'm taking. I've even disabled FaceID on my iPhone as a precaution. If the spots go away, I'll probably slowly start up with the supplements again.

19. Megan Henry

Megan Henry Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Hi Mary,

Collagen has been shown to deactivate components in candida albicans. What is you diet like? Or more importantly, what was it like before you were diagnosed?

• Like Like x 1
  20. MaryR

MaryR New Member

Jul 25, 2019
    Hi friends,
    So sorry I’ve been MIA and inactive on this forum...I’ve been feeling great and life has gotten in the way of my screen time! Oh, not to mention a brand new puppy!!

Update.. I still feel great. Not a single episode or wobble. It’s been over 2 months since a very slight spin, and it’s more than 3 months since my last puking vertigo episode. My hearing in my affected ear seems stable, based on the on-line tests I do every few weeks. I am still drinking my peppermint tea with collagen stirred in every morning. And sometimes in the evening. It’s just the generic no-name stuff you can order from amazon... all it says on the package is “Beauty Collagen” unflavored powder.. the only info it provides on the package is that it is all natural Collagen Types I and III. And yes, my nails are growing like weeds and my hair is getting thicker and healthier!! Lol. Added bonus in addition to not puking my brains out !!

I have no idea if this is my Holy Grail silver bullet and the answer for me, or if my JOH, Valtrax, B5/B6, Pycnogenol, Triamterene regimen has finally kicked in and started working after I’ve been on it for 8 months. Also, I added NAC a few weeks ago based on the below post and I think that has helped a lot too. Or, perhaps this is just the eye of the hurricane and I’m in a lucky period of remission, and the Beast will return at any moment. I wish I knew.

Megan, that is interesting info... thank you for sharing. My diet is admittedly not great. Not horrible, but veggies are not my favorite thing in the world if you know what I mean. And I hate fish! I eat a lot of meat, chicken, pasta, cheese, carbs. And salt . And ice cream. I probably drink too much red wine, (a glass or two with dinner 3 or 4 times a week) but that never seemed to be a trigger for me... I’ve gone through periods of having episodes every day even after giving up wine and all alcohol for 3 months. I tried a gluten free diet and also a paleo/ ant-inflammatory diet for 6 weeks each and there was no difference in the frequency or severity of my episodes. If anything I got sicker because I lost a dramatic amount of weight too quickly on these restrictive diets and I’m already a little underweight.

The candida is an interesting angle. Thank you for the insight. I feel like I learned a lot about the viral angle, through this site, but I haven’t looked into candida much.

Anyway, just wanted to share. Megan have you tried collagen? Any improvements?

Again, sorry for my inactivity. I think on some level I have PTSD and subconsciously avoid reading anything about MM when I’m feeling great. But I’ll try to keep up and be more active on here.

Hope everyone is having a good week.

Warmly,
    Mary