1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Over a month in on AVs

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by recoveringoptimist, Feb 6, 2020.

1. recoveringoptimist

recoveringoptimist Member

Aug 10, 2019
    It's been a few weeks since I last posted. Thought I'd share an update and pose a question to those of you who have found success with antivirals.

I haven't had any dizziness since late October thanks to the 100 mg of B5 and B6 daily, as suggested by Bennyhill here. But I can't tell if Valcyclovir is doing anything.

I've now been on it for nearly 6 weeks. For the first 3.5 weeks, I was on a Mylan generic at 3g/day. After reading lots of reports of Mylan not working for people, I asked the pharmacy if they could fill a different manufacturer. I was given Aurobindo and have since been on that for about 2.5 weeks.

Has it helped? I don't know.

I've been fortunate that the B5 and B6 was already helping with my dizziness. I went on Valcyclovir in hopes that it could get to the root of my Meniere's and do something about the ear pressure and tinnitus. Thus far, I haven't seen much difference in either of those.

For those of you who have had success on AVs, did you see relief from dizziness and vertigo before you experienced relief from ear pressure and improved hearing?

I know it can take months for AVs to start working. I am slightly concerned that if I do not see an impact within the next month my doctor will want to take me off Valcyclovir, as she had already expressed reservation about taking 3g/day for more than a month.

I'm holding out hope one day soon I'll wake up and find relief from the fullness. But if my case isn't virus-based and this is all I get, I'm still very happy B vitamins have helped with the dizziness.

2. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Optimist, do not give up on the A/Vs yet. It is far too soon for that. I would discount the Mylan time (just based on how angry the genital herpes group is on its ineffectieness) and just begin counting from the latest manufacturer. Do not falter for at least 3 months. If your doctor balks, look her dead in the eye and tell her you do not deserve to live like this. Tell her you will get regular blood work to identify any potential side effects. If that fails, as it did with me recently, you may want to try the non-pharma methods described by JonBupo elsewhere on this site. I take 990mg Monolaurin twice per day with 2000mg Complex Vitamin C twice per day. I am not familiar with all the intricacies of viruses but apparently there are different methods of combatting them involving either prevention of replication or actually killing them.

If you are not on L-Lyzine yet, begin taking 3000mg per day. You cannot eat food for at least 20 minutes after you take it and you should not take it for at least 2 hours after eating. 1000mg upon waking, 1000mg mid afternoon well after lunch and 1000mg just prior to retiring for the night should do it. When I look back over the past 11 years when I first read of the possible link to viruses posted on this site, I believe my healthiest periods have been whenever I religiously followed the L-Lyzine treatment.

Best of luck to you and remain forever optimistic. You may never lick this thing completely, but you can take many healthy days back from its clutches.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Recovering optimist, are you recovering from optimism the way a recovering alcoholic is recovering from alcoholism, or are you optimistic in your recovery &/or optimistic while recovering?

The former prompts an interesting conversation, while the latter, well, the latter simple is what it is: positive *raises thumbs

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. recoveringoptimist

recoveringoptimist Member

Aug 10, 2019
    I've always been an optimist but since certain events of 2016 (not to get political on here but...) I've joked that I'm recovering from being that degree of optimistic. I'm still a glass half full kind of person. That glass just comes with a small dose of cynicism now.

Teesdale - thanks for your thoughts. I'm going to push my GP to stay on antivirals for another month if she suggests taking me off. I was on Lysine and Valcyclovir for a few weeks but I stopped because I kept forgetting to follow the rules around eating as I took it. If I end up going off of Valcyclovir I'll likely get on Lysine again.