1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

I can't take it

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Megan Henry, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Autumninthefall

Autumninthefall Active Member

Aug 10, 2019
    Hi Rebecca,
    I had a laby to stop drop attacks. It stopped the drop attacks. Unfortunately, the laby is a mixed bag. Many people have phenomenal results. I was left with debilitating side-effects that I still have hope to improve, but some can never go away. I’m not the only person here with problems after a laby. That being said, I had to have a laby, and it DID DO what it was supposed to do. It sounds like what you are describing is otosclerosis??? I’ll tell you what I learned the hard way. There is a point of diminishing returns with ear surgery due to the risk of scar tissue. The general consensus seems to be that the risk for scar tissue development increases exponentially starting with the third ear surgery and up. If you’re already prone to otosclerosis, get as much done in as few surgeries as possible. And I don’t recommend a bone anchored hearing implant for the same reasons!

2. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Yes, Megan, I've been in the dark pit, too.

What options have you been offered?

I was offered gentamicin about decade ago, but was scared of it because I didn't trust the doctor, and was scared of further deafness and chronic balance loss. I eventually got desparate enough to overcome those fears... it was like, fix this, or make me palliative, cuz I"M DONE! I wanted the laby at that point, but wound up with the gentamicin. I don't think my balance worse now, just... different, bouncier. But it's wonderful to be free from vertigo attacks.

• Winner Winner x 1