1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

What do you use to spice up your food?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Brother_of_Nool, May 31, 2019.

1. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    I bought a relatively low sodium brand of french fries that I heat in an air fryer. Anyone have any advice on condiments (not necessarily just for fries) that won't make things worse?

2. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Fresh or dried herbs - basil, rosemary, fennel seeds, oregano.

I love chili powder and a hit of chipotle powder on popcorn- then I only need a tiny bit of salt.

I think my taste buds have gradually adjusted to no or very little salt.

• Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  3. Irishstu

Irishstu Member

Apr 28, 2019
    Mrs. Dash seasoning is really good and salt free. Depending on where you live you may have to order online.

4. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Garlic and onion.

5. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    I think I'll combine these two ideas and get Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle. Thanks!

6. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Cumin and smoked paprika, but of chili powder, fresh garlic and ginger... stir fried chicken. Yum. (My simplified version of Burmese Chicken)

7. Raider Nation

Raider Nation New Member

Aug 2, 2019
    Does anyone go out for fast food? When we don’t cook, I usually go to a burger place and just ask for salt free burger and salt free fries. Also, I was diagnosed with MAV along with Meniere’s. So after reading the Migraine book from Bucholz, I’m trying to cut back on a lot of the stuff in the book. Will someone please give me some recipes on things they eat or what’s something quick to make?

8. Megan Henry

Megan Henry Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Garlic powder and onion powder are my go to. I also like to use fresh herbs. Honestly, I don't miss salt at all. When I feel like my blood pressure is getting too low I take put a little pinch of Himalaya sea salt in my water or just eat it straight up...tiniest pinch.

9. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    There are lots of recipes for various spice blends on the Internet. You can just leave out the salt. They're easy to make and it's much less expensive to make them up yourself than to buy them ready made.

10. wendy

wendy Member

May 18, 2019
    Raider Nation. My favorite indulging recipe is pizza made on a low sodium tortilla shell with spiced up no salt tomato sauce, low sodium black and green olives, various sliced veggies and grated Swiss cheese. I spice it up with Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. I have slowly made my husband a convert to using tortilla shells. He adds meat to his pizza. I bake in the oven at 350 to 375 until bubbly. I also make my own tacos with no sodium hard shells, refried beans I have made myself, grated Swiss, lettuce and tomatoes. A little sour cream for topping. Kroger stores also sell a no sodium blue tortilla chip. I eat that with home made Pico DE Gallo. Really good.

11. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    Trader Joe’s has a liquid chili powder flavoring that I love. Tabasco isn’t crazy high so I use that some.