1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Hair!

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by BayMama, Oct 28, 2015.

1. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    I am very sorry to say I am part of the thinning hair club. It seems to have taken a big jump lately. It is just strange how little there is when I gather it into a pony tail or a bun. When I'm walking my shadow is different--I can see gaps in my long-hair-down shadow. It is especially thin in the back.

It is a small price to pay to have better hearing and energy and less tinnitus, stuffiness, and dizziness, so I will take the tradeoff, but dang it's disconcerting! My long hair has been part of my identity.

At 48 I have almost no grey, but I always imagined when I got older I'd have a long thick grey braid. Now one braid in the back seems about as thin as one of the two I used to do on the sides sometimes. It's strange that it is disconcerting to need to re-image the idea of a me that doesn't exist yet.

How are the other with this issue doing? Does it stabilize or just keep getting thinner?

2. Vicki

Vicki Guest

mine seems to be doing okay being on he vitamin b complex, I haven't done the coconut oil treatment in a few months.
    I posted a picture of my hair not too long ago on my thread where you can see how thin my bangs got and how much thicker my hair looks now

3. juleswolley

juleswolley I've got Menieres, but it does not have me.

Oct 23, 2015
    Livermore California
    ??? do you have any idea as to the cause of your hair becoming thin?
    Yikes!

4. Jade70

Jade70 Member

May 31, 2014
    Oh please do not tell me meniers, tinnitus cause thinning hair...prob my problem. Or maybe because I am 72,,,,

5. JanLyn

JanLyn Member

Jul 3, 2015
    My hair is thinning and falling out more too. I talked to my primary care doctor about it and she thought it was because I had lost so much weight (from the low sodium diet). I'm wondering though if it's the antiviral meds. It seems when it rains, it pours. :-[ I am taking biotin and hoping the hair loss will slow down soon.

6. Mustang89

Mustang89 Member

Sep 20, 2014
    If you've taken prednisone in the past, your hormonal balance may be off causing your hair to thin. Some suggest a spoonful of black strap molasses daily. Look it up.

7. Vicki

Vicki Guest

hair loss is a side effect of antivirals, search my thread about my hair thinning due to acyclovir if you want.

8. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    Not sure if mine is getting better, but it doesn't seem to be falling out in handfuls during the shower. I put a shower filter on which helps with the water. But no vertigo is worth thinning hair I guess.

9. Vicki

Vicki Guest

I agree nicgmer its a lousy choice but if we had our hair as it was and had vertigo attacks, our quality of life would be back to poor and all the hair on our head would not take away that fear of the next attack, the anxiety, stress, canceling appointments canceling outings etc etc etc etc etc........................

10. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Vicki, when I search I see a few different threads on hair thinning. Which is the best for info? I am particularly curious about the b complex and the coconut oil. If we let it keep going will we head toward (eek) baldness?

I am just over a year into taking anti-virals. Any thinning was subtle before, but now it's hard for me to miss. Others might miss it.

I agree, it's a lousy choice, but an easy choice.

11. Vicki

Vicki Guest

I don't know of my thread is the best about hair thinning but JOH gives his recommendations for it, rogaine is discussed and I posted what my cousin who is a vegan guru said would work and then I mentioned what I decided on taking after much research
    http://menieres.org/talk/index.php?topic=777.0

12. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Thanks very much, Vicki.

One thing that was valuable for me about reading that thread was reading my own posts in it! ;D I'd forgotten that my hair started thinning before I went on the anti-virals. It's impossible to know how much of what is going is from pre-menopause. But just in the last week or two it seems stark. Even laying on the pillow I can feel there is less hair there.

Lots of good ideas in that thread. I've been planning to add MSM to my regime soon anyway, so there's one more reason to do it.

It's disturbing and a bit confusing to think of the anti-virals affecting peoples' hair. I thought they were very specific for the virus. I am very cautious about medications, but the benefits of this one are so huge for me it is hard to imagine forgoing them.

13. Santa

Santa Member

Aug 5, 2014
    My hair is thinning on top. Hereditary? I don't know.

Hey, if I'm going to lose hair, why can't it be the hair on my back and the hair that grows out of my nose.

I'm still taking valacyclovir even if all body hair falls out.

14. Vicki

Vicki Guest

LOL! Santa

15. Darcy

Darcy New Member

Feb 21, 2020

16. Darcy

Darcy New Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Antivirals definitely cause hair loss. For me, Valcylovir caused more hair loss than acyclovir. It seemed to take 2 continuous months of use until I noticed hairloss. I was wondering if anyone knew how to take it episodically so the hair loss won't happen. I read somewhere that this can be done. For example taking it one week on and one week off. Has anyone tried this? You would have to wait until your hair loss stops for awhile. And yes, it does stop.

17. Megan Henry

Megan Henry Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Try collagen and MSM, which is part of the JOH regimen.

18. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    I've never tried antivirals but after reading this, I'll pass. Hair loss is a side effect I wouldn't want to risk. Even if it helped, it's trading one form of misery for another.

19. Megan Henry

Megan Henry Member

Oct 5, 2019
    I'd rather lose hair than have a vertigo attack and/or be dizzy every day. That's just me. It seems like everything is trade off with this disease.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019

If I was dealing vertigo/dizziness, I would tend to agree with you. There certainly aren't any good trade-offs with this nasty disease. No matter what we do, we lose in one way or another. :(