1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

What calmed your ear fullness?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by serknor, Feb 21, 2020.

1. serknor

serknor New Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Hi! I'm new to this forum.
    I have been diagnosed in the past with vestibular migrain, but now, after an attack that made my ears feel full, I'm diagnosed with Meniere's.
    I started reading this forum, to try to find what gave some of you a relief from ear fullness, because I'm finding hard to stay calm with this synthom.

I was wondering, if it's ok, if I can post a poll about this subject.

Here it is:
    What calmed your ear fullness?

Let me know if this is against the forum rules.

You can add other answers at the end of the poll. If you need to add multiple other options, you can re-vote.

Thanks in advance!

2. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York

3. Tony Wilson

Tony Wilson Member

Apr 2, 2019
    Hi Serk! I'm going on 4 years with MM and have only recently found a strong connection with suppressed symptoms and a Keto diet for me. Result is posted in your survey.

4. serknor

serknor New Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Hi, Tony, thank you very much for your answer! I'm new to all this. Can you explain what's MM? It's meniére or a different kind? I will investigate about the keto diet. Is it low-sodium at the same time?
    Thanks in advance!

5. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    MM is just shorthand for Ménière’s

6. Tony Wilson

Tony Wilson Member

Apr 2, 2019
    I do not follow a low salt diet while on keto. There is a slight correlation with heavy sodium intake and flare ups with me but as long as I don't overdo it I'm okay. It's way too early on keto to say definitively whether or not it's helping but I had two weeks where hearing came back and all other symptoms were background noise. This is the first time I put more than a couple good days together. Always explore what's out there and stay hopeful.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DianeD

DianeD Member

Jul 15, 2019
    I noticed your post has over 200 views, yet only a few responses to your survey. I was very interested to follow the survey results, but I'm wondering if not many of us with MM have found much relief from the fullness. I've had MM with all that comes with it, for about 3 years now. I'm on 2400mg/day of Acyclovir just in the last few months, in addition to the JOH plan, and I recently added B5, B6, and B12. I'm stringing several weeks at a time of no vertigo, so I'm making some progress. The tinnitus and hyper-sensitivity are generally much less, so progress there, too, but the fullness is still all there. I can tell you that although it's annoying when I think about it, I am mostly able to ignore it, and that is just a matter of living with it for so long. So, don't despair over this symptom. It's amazing how your mind can adjust, so try to relax with it if you can. I will continue to watch this thread and your survey, too, for some better results people may be having. I wish you the best in your quest to find a course of action that will work for you. You are in the right place here for help and support. The people on this forum are the best.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    From the Latin (medical) term, "morbus Ménière." MM

9. serknor

serknor New Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Thanks for all your answers!
    Tony, I am investigating about diets for meniere in general. But for now, for me, I can't find a strong correlation with symptoms. My triggers are more like stress, climate, noise, etc. But I will try to avoid some known food triggers to see if that helps.
    Diane, yes, sometimes I think that if we could gather the information of a lot of users of the forum, maybe someone could find something that works for him/her. I know each case is different, but if there are several people that got some relief with something, it might be worth trying.
    I was already used to tinnitus and vertigo, but the ear fullness sometimes drives me crazy. The worst part is that my hobby is music (singer). So now I'm really afraid of in-ear monitors, loud venues, etc.
    My doctor suggested a Duo Decadron (Dexamethasone, acetate-Dexamethasone, sodium phosphate). It didn't calm the fullness at all, and it also gave me the worst vértigo, náusea, etc. Any way, I'm still looking for other options (I will ask the doctor about the things of the survey), and trying to discard some other stuff (I have bruxism and cervical contracture).
    Thanks to you all!

10. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Allergy treatment and antivirals. Hard to say which one most, probably allergy treatment helped the fullness most.

11. twodogs

twodogs Member

Jul 26, 2018
    only vomiting

12. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    Valtrex (generic) is what made the biggest impact for me. I did the full load dose for 8 weeks before tapering. Since then while there is some increased fullness when I am sick or significant weather changes it is 90% better!

13. recoveringoptimist

recoveringoptimist Member

Aug 10, 2019
    How many weeks into taking it did you experience a noticeable change in fullness? Was it gradual or did you wake up one day and notice a difference?

14. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    I think I can say with some certainty that stopping all the supplements I was talking (JOH, acyclovir, OLE, etc) reduced my ear fullness. I stopped abruptly after developing (probably unrelated) eye problems. I eventually noticed that the sensation of ear pressure was lowered. I didn’t draw a correlation until I started taking some of the antivirals again (OLE and acyclovir); within two days the pressure increased. I stopped, and the feeling went away.

Also, using earbuds seems to cause the sensation to worsen. I’ve switched to over the ear headphones and I think I’m better for the change.

15. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    I'll give it a shot.

16. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    AV's increased pressure for me as well. At the time I was the only poster with such a response. It lasted 3 months until i wnt off the AV's. MAV treatment was the elixer for me. Vertigo, dizzy, pressure all went away. If Only I could recover my failed ear.

17. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    I'd taken your advice a few months ago about Candida. I bought some supplements on Amazon, eliminated starches and switched to natural sugars in my diet. But I'm switching to high gear; in the past week I've dropped all sugar and now only eat stuff on the Candida diet. I know that doctors don't accept Candida as a real thing, but I'm going to go for it. I'll report back in a few weeks.

18. Onedayatatime

Nov 22, 2016
    Sounds like a plan with a potential side benefit. I'll bet you will drop a few pounds. Chocolate is a major migraine trigger. Since most chocolate products are loaded with sugar, you will be skipping this as well?

19. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    I don't think I can lose any more weight, but maybe. I've eliminated most sugars over the last couple of months. The only things I had were honey, syrup and fruit (mainly oranges and bananas). I had thought that they were allowed on the candida diet, but I was mistaken. So they're gone. I've been eating plain greek yogurt (which is horrible tasting) because I thought that it was supposed to help with this. However, I'm reading that it's probably not a good idea since it does have some sugar and it's made from dairy. Sucks, because I just bought a bunch of it.

20. Onedayatatime

Nov 22, 2016
    You get an A for effort.