1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Valtrex works for me (important advice)

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Abdul, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Abdul

Abdul New Member

Feb 17, 2020
    Hi every one

I am very grateful to this forum which I personally got a useful tips how to deal with menieres disease.
    I was diagnosed in Mar 2017 and I was suffering from 3-4 episodes weekly for a month and a relief for an other month.
    I used betaserc (betahistine) + diet and this helped me to reduce the vertigo nearly 30% only.
    in April 2019 I started to take Vlatrex 3000 MG daily and I started to feel better after 45 days, but still suffering from vertigo from time to time.
    I tried to take a combination of Valtrex 500 MG (4 time a day) + Betahistine 16 MG (4 times a day) and finally I felt better and vertigo reduced by 90 to 95% in other words (almost no vertigo). I m not following the strict diet as I used to. You can reduce dosage to Pills daily if you feel better.
    Important: once there is a time gap between the 2 pills, the vertigo starts to come back even if I use the same dosage.

Conclusion:
    1- You MUST take Valtrex & betahistine together in the same time (No time gap between the 2 pills)
    2 You MUST check the kidney test in third day after starting the Valtrex socially creatinine test.

Regards,

2. MaryR

MaryR New Member

Jul 25, 2019
    Thank you for this great advice. I take Betahistine along with my Valtrex 3 times a day. I find that on bad days, significantly upping my Betahistine helps a lot. My neurotologist approved this based on the article I’ve attached below. She actually even prescribed a base level of 48mg 3 times a day, with the ability to increase it 10 x a day if needed. I’ve only had a few days when I’ve needed to go much higher than the 48 mg 3x a day but it helped get me through some emergencies.
    Just wanted to share.
    Here is the article I am referring to:
    High-dosage betahistine dihydrochloride between 288 and 480 mg/day in patients with severe Menière's disease: a case series. - PubMed - NCBI

3. Abdul

Abdul New Member

Feb 17, 2020
    Thank you for sharing this useful information.
    As far as I know one of betahistine side effects is Gastric ulcer. That's why i avoid the high dose. Anyhow FDA approved 48mg as the maximum and safe daily dose.
    Can I ask you for how long you take Valtrex? Any side effects?

Regards