1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Anybody else worried....went to the grocery store tonight

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Bulldogs, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Don't forget the *points below

It appears many may argue that "they're gonna make it through" with inordinate amounts of toilet paper.

Personally, I would suggest that "we'll make it through" & prevent as much suffering as possible by employing antiseptics, hand wash, basic surgical masks & N95 respirators (the sick & healthcare workers prioritised, of course), respirators, test kits, thermal screening, epidemiologists, MD's, nurses, extracorporeal membrane oxygenation, intelligence, mechanical ventilators, the methods & tools of science, & a vaccine.

By flattening the curve: stay at home when possible, wash your hands, try not to touch your face.

... To mention but a few.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. twodogs

twodogs Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Life is too important to stop living as best I can

3. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    Bulldogs - I think the scariest thing is that even though the news, radio and internet is telling each of us what WE need to do to stop the spread, the majority of people don't seem to listen. I am in VA area and the impact started around 2/24 but got CRAZY over the past week. Stores have no product; people are stockpiling toilet paper and paper towels like they will never see it again. Sadly antibacterial wipes, cleaners, soaps and hand sanitizers have not been in stock near me at any store for over two weeks. UGH

4. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Amen ^^^

I could not agree more.... it’s scary. I absolutely feel terrible for all the service sector jobs such as bartenders, servers, hairdresser, barbers, restaurant owners retail ect.....

I also think this will forever change our dependency on one country/China

All these products come from China so our supply chains are disrupted....it’s amazing 97% of antibiotics/ medicine / medical supplies come from China.

it’s scary how much power one country has over us both in terms of manufacturing and financial... they own our dept... imagine if they called it due at this time.

Let not let our hearts be troubled... we will recover stronger....let’s come together and be there for our loved ones and neighbors especially our senior citizens.

amen

• Like Like x 2
  5. RetiredTeacher

RetiredTeacher New Member

Feb 16, 2020
    I'm all for flattening the curve.
    It irks me when people think they can't possibly be carrying the virus, can't possibly be ill with the virus, or they are ill but don't care b/c they're going to do what they want to do and no one will tell them any differently. Perhaps it's my age showing, but I hope the karma bus is coming for them...and it's a BIG bus!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Autumninthefall

Autumninthefall Active Member

Aug 10, 2019
    Excuse me, where is the intelligence? There seems to be an acute shortage...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Autumninthefall

Autumninthefall Active Member

Aug 10, 2019
    The Millennials(and those with like sentiments)who don't care bother me. Truly, my friend let me know the ones in her college classes are callous. In fact, when she asked them to be concerned for the welfare of the elderly, their response was a mix of anger/disinterest/defiance. They weren't concerned about the elderly dying, as they blame them for the loss of social security, and said it'd be less strain on the system. Just disgusting.

This pandemic targets the older generations. In 1918 the situation was reversed. Gee, if the older generations hadn't cared back then, there wouldn't be much of a Millennial generation now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bulldogs

May 12, 2014
    Amen^^^^

to just not care is unfathomable....I bet it is an elderly person paying the tuition....I would just stop paying it with an attitude like that.

I just don’t think the younger generation/s know what shared sacrifice is...I know my kids have no clue as they have never had to face adversity and the entitlement among them is just disgusting. A few months without their phone, game boxes and mommy and daddy bailing them out at every turn may change things.

In a lot of ways I blame the parents...it’s seems parents want to be their friends rather than parents.

oh well....don’t get me started

God Bless

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    In my neighborhood we have had young people volunteer to do errands, yardwork, and gardening for vulnerable people who aren't comfortable leaving the house. Many are out of school now and eager to contribute their time.

• Like Like x 3
  10. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    Why would senior people not be able to go into their own yards? One's private yard isn't public space.

11. Bulldogs

May 12, 2014
    What’s wrong with kids volunteering (who will be out of school probably for rest of year) helping their elderly neighbors out rather than just sitting around playing xbox and Facetiming friends all day?

Helping anybody for any reason is to be applauded.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    No one here is suggesting that there is anything wrong with kids volunteering to help their elderly neighbors.

13. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    The inclination & willingness to help anybody for any reason should be applauded, agreed.

However, granting the implementation & necessity of social distancing, whether we applaud those, regardless of their age, for physically interacting with their elderly neighbors in an attempt to help them is subject to what "help" consists of.

Often what many consider helpful is in fact counterproductive, or possibly harmful.

For instance, while both the below scenarios are well intended & of good faith, only one is necessary & helpful during a global pandemic, while the other is unnecessary, unhelpful, & possibly lethal during a global pandemic.

a) Interacting with an elderly neighbor at close range so to obtain their rake—which is located inconspicuously somewhere amid the chaos of their locked up & disarranged garage—in order to rake up leaves in their yard.

b) Walking to the store so to buy your elderly neighbor food—which you leave at their front door after having rang their doorbell—because food deliveries are unavailable in your area.

Broader point being, the aim isn't to increase social interactions, it is to decrease social interactions as much as morally & ethically possible. It is especially important to decrease social interactions with the elderly, as they are the most likely to die of this virus.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Edit: The inclination & willingness to help others should be applauded, agreed.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    *nods… The inducement of cytokine storms, which ravage the stronger immune systems of young adults, & especially, pregnant women.

If interested, an excellent documentary on the 1918 influenza pandemic can be found here.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bulldogs

May 12, 2014
    I absolutely fear for those countries in South America, Africa.... ect that don’t have the medical resources and infrastructure if this spreads in those countries like it is going in the industrialized nations.

I am hopeful and praying that this chloroquine is effective to slow this monster down,

I never thought I would witness Marshall Law /National Shutdown in the United States but I really think we are on that road.

God Bless

• Like Like x 1
  17. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Italy is up to 800 deaths per day. Pray for Europe.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bulldogs

May 12, 2014
    Amen on that^^

In NY someone is dying every 10 minutes I heard.

I had to turn off the news, it was making me stir crazy so today the Chief and I took the boys mountain bike riding on some mountain trails and had a nice picnic.

God Bless everyone and stay healthy.... keep your distance, wash hands and don’t rub your eyes, nose, mouth.

19. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Where did you get that news? I just read 15 passed away in NY on Saturday which is bad enough. Every 10 minutes would be 144.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Johns Hopkins Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Case Map reports 76 deaths as of 9:41 pm, Sunday, 22 March 2020 (AEDT)

Said case map can be found here.