1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.
solari

Successful treatment from upper cervical adjustments

1. solari

solari MM.org Janitor Staff Member

Admin Post
    From Henrysullivan on our old forums:

[Today, I feel the need to amend my first post here at Menieres.org. I find that there is so much in this thread that many who begin to go through it may get lost before they discover the meat of the subject. Suffice it so say, since posting these original thoughts I have been contacted by people all over the world who previously suffered with Meniere's, or what I term, Meniere's symptoms, and who followed my advice. There have been almost miraculous instantaneous recoveries. There have been recoveries that progressed with time. There have been recoveries which have been enhanced by doubling up with either osteopathic procedures or John of Ohio's regemin, or both. And there have been those who do not recover. Of the folks who have not recovered, I ask myself the following questions:

1) Did they receive the proper treatment? Here I have always referred to treatment by a qualified upper cervical chiropractor, of whom NUCCA, AO and Blair methods have here been documented to have worked on selected individuals.

2) Did they stay with the program long enough for it to make a difference? Some folks have had immediate changes in their symptoms. Some folks have taken 3-4 months for changes.

3) Did these folks have irreparable nerve or tissue damage? If the tissues of nerves are such that restoration of the communication from the brain cannot repair them, there is little reason to believe that doing so would make any difference, even if the original cause of the symptoms was related to upper cervical misalignments.

4) Have these folks had any irreversible surgeries performed prior to undergoing the treatment from a qualified upper cervical chiropractor? Invasive surgery could easily change the entire equation of the inner ear and the nerves that serve it.

Suffice it to say that the folks whom have been helped will testify that there is no question that upper cervical chiropractic dealt directly with the cause of their symptoms. Medical science, by and large, does not agree with them. That is why since the outset I have advised people to view all sources of information on the subject as pure advice, to be weighed like any other advice. If it makes sense, follow it. If it does not, do not. Everyone is his or her foremost health advocate. In that same vein, everyone is his or her best doctor; everyone else is merely a consultant.

Good luck, good blessings and good health to all.

Hank

10/12/09 ]

Hello all,

I am new to this site, just found it. I hope you will find the information below useful. Fortunately, I have discovered the source of my own Meniere's symptoms and have learned to control them. With what I know now, I am confident that I can beat this disorder. I hope you will benefit from my experience.

My wife was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia over 15 years ago. Fortunately for me, in our quest to find a cure for her we also found a treatment for my Meniere's, a treatment that works. In both of our cases, and I will bet in the cases of many (or most) who suffer with these disorders, the root cause is the same thing--a misalignment (subluxation of you will) of the first vertebrae, the Atlas Bone.

If you suffer with Meniere’s, here's a simple test for you. (This test is just one indicator; it may not be fool-proof, but is one easy check for a problem.) Stand in front of a mirror so that you can see your shoulders and head. Close your eyes and look up to the ceiling. While looking upward, take the index fingers of both hands and place them horizontally (yes, pointing at each other) on each side of your jawbone just below the location that the bone hinges to the skull. The jawbone makes a kind of point there. Make sure that your index fingers are horizontal pointing at each other. Keeping your eyes closed, lower your head to a normal position. Open your eyes. If in the mirror one index finger is higher than the other, your upper cervical vertebrae are very probably out of alignment. This misalignment of the Atlas is the cause of the Meniere's I was diagnosed with last spring. It is also the cause of my wife's trigeminal neuralgia. In my case, the left side is higher than the right indicating that the Atlas is shifted to the left. Not coincidentally, my Meniere's symptoms are all on the left. Very simply, the treatment for this disorder is to just bring the Atlas back into adjustment using chiropractic methods. ***Important*** Not just any chiropractor can do this. So don't think that this adjustment won't help just because you have been to a chiropractor before. If you have the misalignment I refer to, see a chiropractor that specializes in the upper cervical area. One chiropractic discipline that specializes in that area is known as "Grostic." There is also an Upper Cervical Chiropractic Association that you can find on the web. In addition, there is a chiropractor in Michigan by the name of named Michael Burcon. Dr. Burcon has successfully treated hundreds of Meniere's and trigeminal neuralgia sufferers. Here is his website: BURCON CHIROPRACTIC.

This is not magic. There is a very simple explanation why Meniere's can result from a misaligned Atlas Bone. My experience tells me that Meniere’s is fundamentally a mechanical disorder resulting in neurological symptoms (dizziness, inner ear fullness, hearing loss/distortion, vertigo, etc.) Erase the mechanical disorder, the neurological symptoms subside or go away entirely.

Here’s what I mean. Note that at its closest point, the Atlas is about 1" to 1-1/2" away from the inner ear. If the Atlas shifts toward the inner ear, body tissues in that area become compressed. Some of those body tissues comprise the inner ear itself. Residing in the inner ear canals is a liquid known as Endolymphatic fluid. Like all body fluids, Endolymphatic fluids are constantly recycled, new fluids replacing old. The old fluids pass through a tiny duct on the way to the Endolymphatic sac. If as a result of a dislocated Atlas the surrounding tissues compress and close off the tiny duct allowing these old fluids to recycle to the body, a build up of fluids will result in the semi-circular canals becoming swollen. That is the "feeling of fullness" associated with Meniere's. Complicating the matter, the hearing nerve sending signals to the brain passes right by the duct carrying these old fluids off. Swollen passages pressing on the hearing nerve cause the Meniere’s sufferer to experience tinnitus or ear ringing. Under the circumstance I describe Endolymphatic fluid will continue to build up until the “dam” breaks allowing the older fluid to finally escape through this tiny duct. Afterward, swollen inner ear canals shrink back to a more normal size. It is during this “dam breaking” and “canal shrinking” that vertigo occurs. After vertigo, the fullness is gone, tinnitus subsides and the hearing becomes as normal as it can for the Meniere’s sufferer. Of course, then the cycle repeats.

I would bet that repeated episodes of this phenomena could to some extent damage the semicircular canals and hearing nerve permanently, I don't know. Fortunately mine did not get that far before I figured out what was going on. For a detailed description of the theory that explains my symptoms, please refer to the PDF document I have attached. I have never uploaded anything to this site, so I hope it goes through. If anyone would like to get in touch with me or have a copy of this document emailed to you, please email at [email protected].

I hope you find this information useful. I am interested to know whether the treatment that has helped me also helps you.

Good luck!

Hank Sullivan
    Cumming, GA

• Like Like x 1
  2. Justme77

Justme77 New Member

Feb 8, 2020
    I had terrible vertigo on Thursday morning at around 7 after waking up with slight vertigo at 5 am. It got so bad after a while that I couldn't get out of bed and couldn't stop vomiting. I know also that for the last couple of years I've had neck problems and pain. Right at the base of my skull. If I look up a lot of times I get a pain and then I have to look down fast and hard to crack it to relieve the pressure and pain. So I suspect that this Meniere's disease comes from the neck. My ENT diagnosed me with a few year ago because of severe vertigo, ringing in ears and a full feeling in right ear; also lately, a LOUD sound in right ear that comes and goes, with a high pitch noise in left ear that is constant. I could go on and on here. Last Sunday, almost a week ago now, I got slight dizziness and the loud ringing in right ear, a lower pitch. Also I have headaches in the back of my head from ear to ear. Since Thursday morning, the dizziness doesn't stop, or maybe I should say it's not full blown spinning, just a feeling of being off balance and sleepy, very strange. For almost one week as of now, I haven't felt right. Also, hearing loss in right ear, hearing in left ear appears normal.

MRI two years ago was normal. But it did show the hearing loss.

P.S. I hope this makes sense. I'm editing a lot to add things and remembering. I'm not thinking right after taking Meclizine. LOL!!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  3. RoBiN218

RoBiN218 New Member

Feb 16, 2020
    I had my first upper cervical treatment today. My onset was 17 years after whiplash due to a car accident. I was 15 at the time of the accident. Rear ended. I have suffered years of TMD. I am now 40. At 32yo I thought I heard a truck running outside our home. After a week or so, I saw my ENT. He wrote me a script for diuretics, phenagren and Valium. I kind of laughed and said I don’t think I need all that. About once a year I would get that sound. I would take a water pill and go on. It’s in my left ear. I feel tension from my TMD there. My neck hurts everyday. I can remember being a teenager on cold and rainy days and hurting so bad I would cry. I grew up in WV so we had cold winters. Over time (the last 6 mos) my ear became more sensitive to sodium. I’m trying to stay medication free. I don’t tolerate the water pills well. I get dehydrated. I’m on 500-1,000mg a day. If I have too much sodium, when I wake up I’ll have a heavy pulling sensation to the side of my bad ear (left) no spinning but I figure that’s next. I also cannot eat chocolate. It does the same thing! I noticed after my first treatment I could hear my husband clearer and I could hear sounds in a dept store that had been muffled for years. My neck is sore. I’m about 5.5 hours out. Waiting. Praying for relief. My question for those who claim upper cervical made all symptoms disappear, do you eat a regular diet?

4. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Can't eat chocolate? Read Buchholz's "Heal your headache". $9 on Kindle. $10 for paper. Chocolate is a Migraine trigger.

5. RoBiN218

RoBiN218 New Member

Feb 16, 2020
    Thank you. I’ll certainly check that out!

6. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Thanks, Solari, for the reminder on the NUCCA procedure. I just did the test and my right finger was higher than my left and all of my issues for 30 years have been with the right ear.

Do you know if it is common for the atlas, once corrected, to become misaligned again over time? I had the procedure done 12 years ago. At the time, I was just starting JOH and a host of other treatments so when I started feeling better several weeks later I wasn't sure what role, if any, the NUCCA procedure had played. In fact, I didn't give it any credit since close to 2 months had passed after the procedure before I started feeling better.

Perhaps it's time to give it another shot.

7. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    Solari, I absolutely SWEAR by NUCCA - if it is a good doctor. When I lived in WA state where I started it I had an AMAZING doctor. When I go back for a visit he remains my first stop. However, when I moved out East there are not as many options near me in VA. The closest one for me didn't seem effective; in WA I was at a point of holding adjustment for 3-6 months depending. In VA honestly after a couple of days felt like I was out again. And with it being almost 2 hrs away not an option to pop back in.

8. tmcmahon2

tmcmahon2 Member

May 9, 2015
    Who did you see in VA? There don't seem to be many around. I see one in Alexandria but that's about it.

9. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Hello can someone explain more what means NUCCA, AO and Blair methods? I have to look the name in spanish to ask my osteopath about them.

10. Weeba

Weeba Member

Jun 19, 2020
    I live in Wash State near Bellingham. Could you advise which NUCCA doctor you used?

11. Mike1519

Mike1519 New Member

Jun 12, 2020
    I’m new to the site and still navigating my way around. I’m not sure if my answer lies somewhere else but I’m looking to see testimonials of people that had success with upper Cervical adjustments. The logic seems to make sense, although my dr laughed it off when I asked him about it.

12. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    If your symptoms have a cervical origin it will work, otherwise it will not. My osteopath fixed all my neck and back pain in three weeks, I am totally fine with those problems; but my ear symptoms have not improved.

13. Weeba

Weeba Member

Jun 19, 2020
    nicmger could you give me the name and location of the doctor you saw in Wash State? I live in Wash and would like to try NUCCA. Thanks

14. Bibi

Bibi New Member

Nov 21, 2020
    Does anyone have any experience with the ABC chiropractic system as a form of treatment. I have no access to a NUCCA practitioner but am assured the ABC system is superior. Just want to be sure it won’t be harmful to my condition. Also, could chiropractic adjustments actually trigger a Menieres attack due to the effect of the Atlas changing position?

15. Weeba

Weeba Member

Jun 19, 2020
    Went to upper cervical Chiropractor and he did the Blair treatment. Went three times a week for several months. Fixed the pain in my neck but not the vertigo. I have been seeing a NUCCA now and still have vertigo. Different things help different people so doesn't hurt to try.

16. DavidB

DavidB New Member

Sep 19, 2021
    tmcmahon2, who is the doc you saw in Alexandria? Did you like them? The upper cervical issues might relate to me also. Thanks!!

17. Fireblade

Fireblade New Member

Feb 5, 2022

18. chuck1026

chuck1026 New Member

Feb 16, 2022
    NY
    Hello Hank! I was involved in a serious auto accident in September 2021. At the time the x-rays looked goos but in late January I experienced what seems to be MD... I have not been diagnosed and have had a total of 3 episodes but looking back to the accident, I was t-boned and rolled over. I released the seatbelt while hanging upside down so I just wonder if the precision alignment is off... so I will e-mail you as well.

Chuck

19. EkkoMusic

EkkoMusic Member

Jul 26, 2021
    Two questions:

1. Any recommendations for an upper cervical chiropractor in LA?

2. A lot of this groups' focus is on the viral/autoimmune outlook on Meniere's disease, and then we have posts like this or groups such as Meniere's No More who really push a structural origin to it all. I wonder what your thoughts are regarding this -- if there's a relationship between a jaw or upper cervical misalignments and viral/AI susceptibility to the inner ear.
    My theory is maybe the misalignment causes the deformed endolymphatic sac in the first place, and the virus/allergies/AI disease then takes host and creates the inflammation, but who knows.

20. Roxy Barnes Mackey

Roxy Barnes Mackey New Member

Apr 11, 2022