1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Please help and info me.

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by IvanA, Apr 30, 2020.

1. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Hi, I'm Iván, I don't speak English well, so I use the google translator. Sorry.

I have never smoked or taken drugs. Since 2013 I have hardly ever partied or drunk alcohol and have always avoided loud noises. Also for 6 or more years I have not taken sugar, nor do I drink soft drinks or sweets or doritos, in general as with everything, not a healthy diet; but no precooked or junk food like macdonalds. But I have been sedentary for the past 5 years. Since my crises began 3 months ago, I no longer drink coffee or salt and eat completely healthy (fruit, vegetables, fish, eggs, chicken, etc.)

Nov 2016: After a short beep my ear got plugged while studying. The doctors gave me inhalers several times without success. This plugged ear sensation has been permanent ever since.

June 2019: The otorrino performs an audiometry confirming that I am hearing a little less from my right ear.

December 2019: Tinnitus begins in the right ear. The first weeks it costs me, but I get used to it. The doctor gives me another inhaler that doesn't work.

February 2020: Vertigo or very strong dizziness (the image did not move around so I do not know). Nauseous and a little vomiting.

From this moment on, I have had several admissions to the emergency department with severe dizziness, although not as dizzy as the first attack, severe headaches that changed areas, etc. I ended up seeing my ENT who did an MRI and says that everything is fine, that it will be meniere's syndrome.

During this period of dizziness I have noticed the left ear is plugged although not as much (yet) as the right and sometimes it whistles, two nights ago for hours.

I am having anxiety and depression. Because even when I am "fine" I am not really because I notice something strange in my head, especially when walking. I think people call it mind fog.

I don't really know what to do, they have given me betahistine that something has helped me with dizziness; but they are still there along with headaches although milder. On May 11th I have an appointment with my otorrino, I do not know if there is more evidence that he can do to me and that this is not minor or if I am already condemned to having a meniere, apparently bilateral. I know you're not a doctor, but isn't there any other evidence I can get myself to point out that it's another disease? Have I reached the final box yet?

Also, my doctors tell me that I must have meniere, but none explain the disease. I live terrified of getting information online. Is it really that bad? I have read that the first vertigo crises are distanced in time and that it seems that you will not have any more, but that in the end it ends up returning and more and more frequently to the point that there are people who have attacks every week. is this so even with betahistine?

As a result of despair I have sought clinical trials and treatments. I have seen that here you talk about antivirals. Has anyone worked for you? I have also read threads in which I think you recommend things to people to alleviate the feeling of clogging, but I do not quite understand what you are saying because of the language.

Is there anything else I can try that helps? I have read things like nootropics for mental fog, acupuncture to make crises take longer, Transmastoid Cochlear Electrostimulation, etc. Can anyone tell me if you have tried something that has gone well for you? Thank you.

I have seen two treatments that say they can work that I suppose you will have spoken here, but I am new and I find it difficult to understand the forum in English:

-OTO 104: Otonomy Provides Corporate and Product Pipeline Update
    It is in phase 3 and I read that it was very promising, on the company's website it can also be seen: https://www.otonomy.com/pipeline/
    If you read the clinical study on its website, it indicates that in May they would publish the results after two years. How do you see it?
    It consists of intratympanic injections of slow-release steroids that should be used every 3 months, but which would greatly reduce vertigo.

-Stephen Spring protocol: I can't find much information about this, I have seen a thread in this forum that someone asked in 2014; but no one told him if it worked or not. I do not understand well how the treatment works, only that it is based on the fact that it is autoimmune. I have read two testimonies on the internet that came to prove that method and they improved a lot, one of them had to raise money in donations to be treated, but according to its website, since it was the first year, it only had some minor crisis and the second year it did not have none; also recovered hearing.

From this protocol I also read a story in the dailymail of a mother who recovered like this. I do not know if that news website is serious, in my country we do not know it.

What scares me about Stephen's protocol is that it would take 3-4 years to save money and also, despite the testimonies, I don't know if it's true or a scam. I am too ill to also lose so much money without being able to work.

Thanks guys.

2. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    UPDATE: I have a doctor friend and I have told him about my case and that my neck and cervical aches (ENTs and emergency doctors did not listen to me about this). He prescribed me 10mg of cyclobenzaprine hydrochloride before bed.

Well, with the first pill I slept great and relaxed (something I haven't had in months) and woke up without plugging in both ears, especially the right one that looked like it was going to explode, the left tinnitus has completely disappeared and the right one is much more low and at times I need to concentrate to hear it. When it's time to go to sleep, my volume turns up a little.

Today was the second day and the result was the same. My friend says that if I continue like this in 5 days he will give me some cervical exercises to see if they cause vertigo.

Is it possible this is all a cervical problem? Or perhaps it is that it has coincided that my meniere is remitting to return to attack soon clear. I prefer not to have illusions.

All in all, I have signed up for an osteopath to look at my cervicals and my jaw. At least discard this option.

I have seen in the forum the protocol of JOH and that of Monolaurin. This would be my plan B if I get another vertigo attack soon or if after fixing my cervicals I continue with tinnitus. My question is Can JOH be combined with Monolaurin? I say this because I prefer not to waste time trying things one by one.

About the JOH I also have two doubts. How long do you have to take it to be 99% sure that one has cured and slept the virus? On the other hand, does taking antivirus for a long time produce any side effect?

Thank you

3. DianeD

DianeD Member

Jul 15, 2019
    Ivan, we are all happy when we hear someone has found some relief. This disease and the cause and a treatment that gives relief are so different for each of us, which is why I am guessing you have not had other replies to your post. No one really knows the answers to your questions!

Yes, from what I have read, the cause could be a cervical issue so some exercises can't hurt. I tried going to a chiropractor for a few sessions with not much change. What seems to be working for me to curb the vertigo is an antiviral drug, Acyclovir, 800 mg. 3x day. I had to ask my ENT doctor for a prescription. Some doctors do not believe in this treatment, but my doctor was familiar with the studies that suggest that the herpes virus could be the cause of Meniere's Disease, so he was willing to prescribe it, but I did have to ask for it. He did not prescribe it in the first year I had been seeing him. So, I've been taking that drug for several months and I am finally getting relief from the vertigo. I have not had an episode in 13 weeks, which is a new record for me. I still have the other symptoms of tinnitus, sensitivity to certain sounds, the feeling of fullness in the head, and major hearing loss in one ear. Interestingly, all those symptoms seem to fluctuate greatly with some days being bad and other days better.

Several months before starting the antiviral drug, I started the JOH program of supplements and I still take all of them. The doctor has had me on a diuretic pill also, and I can't say that it has helped, but it's a standard treatment here, so I continue with it. I also avoid salt, caffeine, and alcohol, all of which were difficult for me to eliminate. I recently started also taking Monolaurin, vitamins B5 & B6 and B12. You might want to try these supplements now instead of waiting as a Plan B. I asked my doctor about these and he said all are OK and he didn't seem concerned about long-term use for any of them. So, I can't say for sure whether it was the antiviral drug or the effects of taking the supplements for quite awhile, many months, that helped with the vertigo, but I can tell you that I did not get any relief until I added the antiviral drug. And I had some set-backs with more vertigo even after taking the antiviral for several months, so the doctor upped my dosage from 2 pills to 3 pills a day. I am starting to feel much better every day, and looking back, it tells me how bad I was feeling most days. It's a lot of pills every day, but when you're desperate for relief, you try it all. I can only hope this remission lasts, but as you read other people's stories on this forum, you will see that there is no positive, forever cure, to what many refer to as "this beast" of a disease.

The good news is that with some research and persistence, you will find something that helps you. I am very grateful for this forum that has been such a wealth of information and comfort to me in my journey with the beast. Do continue to read other people's posts and do post your thoughts about the progress you are making.
    I wish you the best in your journey.

4. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Hi Diane, thanks for your reply. I have already been reading the forum database and I have started going to the physical therapist and I have bought the things from JOH, for now only MSM, vitamin C and E have reached me. I have started taking them while other things arrive. Due to the coronavirus many will not do so until the end of the month. I have also bought monolaurin.

If I do not improve with all of the above, I will make the jump to antivirals.

Thank you

5. twodogs

twodogs Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Hello Ivan. You have done an enormous amount of research. Good for you. I have had Menieres for many years and it seems that my attitude is the best medicine. Even when I am sick I do my best to be a positive person. That is saying a lot since I have strong symptoms daily. Best wishes to you.

• Like Like x 1
  6. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    There is no conflict with using my regimen in conjunction was any or all of the others (antiherpetic drugs, etc.). As noted many times before, results with any Meniere's regimen, prescribed or over the counter, are seldom prompt. Any or all can take weeks or months. But no hurt in continuing in taking any of them, to see what results happen.

--John of Ohio

• Useful Useful x 1