1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

How did my low frequency hearing come back? Cochlear Hydrops

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Edward, May 8, 2020.

1. Edward

Edward New Member

May 8, 2020
    I am almost positive I had Cochlear Hydrops which started a couple of years ago. Ear felt full of water, sound was very distorted, tinnitus sometimes, Lost low frequency in the ear. I was told that once you lose the low frequency, your hearing cells are damaged permanently and won't reheal themselves.

At first my hearing was so bad that if someone sat to my left side in a movie theater I could barely understand them.

My cochlear hydrops cycled bad to good for a long time, when it was bad (distorted h earing) my low frequency hearing in my bad ear was lost. It even caused me to hear things strange because of the my two ears hearing sound differently. When my cochlear hydrops got better, things would clear up but my low frequency was not nearly as good as my good ear.

I did lots of hearing tests, in the first year, anything under 200HZ was pretty much lost. Then it got better to anything under 100HZ was pretty bad. my problem cycled for a long time, my ear was good, then got worse again, but even when my ear was good my low frequency was still diminished in the bad ear.

I started to take the Lipo Flavonoid Plus and I swear that really helped my ear stay good most of the time and stopped the weekly cycling. It did cycle, but every couple of months instead of weeks. Everytime I cut back on the dose or stopped, my hearing would eventually get worse again so I stayed on using this consistently.

It has been over 9 months since my ear cycled to bad and has stayed good. I then started to do some hearing tests again and to my shock my low frequency hearing sounds just as good as my good ear. I can hear all the very low frequencies around 30-60hz and it sounds just as loud as my good ear. I never thought this would be possible.

Since I was told that my low frequency would not come back after the cells were damaged, how is it that it came back?

Did my body repair the cells, did I not have cochlear hydrops to begin with? Without doubt my low frequency hearing loss was gone and came back. I even heard that higher frequency hearing cells will take over for the dead low frequency hearing cells and allow you to hear low frequency again.

2. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Well, you should ask your questions to an otorrino because here we are all sick, not doctors. But if for example you had tinnitus, this can make it difficult to hear the low frequencies, it is basically what happens to me that when the tinnitus goes up a lot I practically do not listen even with my healthy ear and when the tinnitus falls I have moments when it seems that I hear again well.

Another possibility is that you had the cells responsible for the low frequencies stunted or about to die and that's why they didn't work, but you saved them with the lemon bioflavs. And of course it may also be what you have been told that high frequency cells are taking care of low frequencies.

But I do not know for sure either, they have always told me that when those cells die they are not recoverable because they do not regenerate themselves cellularly like those of the skin and other tissues. However, I have read that cochlear electrostimulation makes it possible to recover up to 60% of the lost cochlear cells. I do not know if it makes them revive or if as I say they are cells about to die, but they are still alive and they are saved.

3. twodogs

twodogs Member

Jul 26, 2018
    my hearing fluctuates but gradually diminishes over time

4. Edward

Edward New Member

May 8, 2020
    I was very negative against any kind of supplements, I just figured they don't work. My doctor recommended me the Lipo Flavonoid Plus. I then went to amazon and was searching the reviews and I searched for menieres and cochlear hydrops. I was really shocked that there were many people who said this stuff only works for those problems and a lot of people had good results. That is why I decided to try that stuff.

I only about a half pill to a full pill a day split up twice a day. I don't want any negative side effects from taking this stuff so I keep the dosage as small as possible. Even with my hearing back to normal I still take about a half a pill a day. I want to give this stuff up but every time I did so in the past my hearing got worse so its hard to give it up completely again.

Just something interesting to point out. Could be just a coincidence but my hearing has been best when I decided to wear earplugs to sleep every night because of constantly being woken up. My hearing was getting better before that but still cycled to bad sometimes, but since I started to wear earplugs to sleep every night since late last year, I have yet to have my hearing get bad again.

I think it is just a coincidence though. However, it makes me wonder if by wearing earplugs it has helped my ear cells get better because of the lack of vibration on the cells for the night.

5. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    My hearing loss was cyclical with dimishing returns over time. Like you, mine went from bad to good. Eventually, the "good" periods were gone. The whole process took a few years.

6. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    I had sensitivity to certain frequencies and volume ranges (hyperacusis) for a few weeks and not now. Did it happen to you too? Over time does it also stop happening?

7. Edward

Edward New Member

May 8, 2020
    In the very beginning of my cochlear hydrops, I had this for a very short time, maybe an hour. Thankfully it went away and never came back. That really sucked. I would have had to wear an ear plug.

I also had a few times when my tinnitus was roaring. The odd thing at that time was when my tinnitus was bad my hearing seemed to be a bit clearer. I remember I was thinking, I would keep the tinnitus if I had the clearer hearing in that ear.

The first couple weeks my hearing was so messed up, so many odd things were going on. The next months afterward I had issues where voices sounded all weird, like scary weird. This was because my bad ear was hearing things differently and screwed up my brain processing of the information. My good ear was always 100% good, I always had that as a reference. What I should have done at that point was just put in a earplug in my bad ear.

A good test I used to do was pick up the phone and press the buttons. The dialtone I could not even hear in my bad ear, but as I went form 9 digit to 1 digit, I usually hear the 9,8,7,6 tones differently in my bad and good ear. The higher the digits the lower the tone and the worst I heard those digits.

Thankfully my ear got better, probably a full recovery. Took about 3 years.

I'll tell you guys this, I remember in the beginning I would give anything to get my hearing back to normal. I would pay hundred of thousands of dollars. I really thought it was lost forever. Now that it finally came back to normal, I take it for granted now, almost like I never even had an issue. I guess that is like everything in life, your body adapts to the new normal.

8. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Did you hear healthy alone or did you follow any treatment? I am starting the JOH regimen with monolaurin, if not it will try to get the antivirals to add them.

9. Onedayatatime

Nov 22, 2016
    At times the hyperacusis was so bad I had to leave the church sanctuary during worship. I could not take the music. I have not experienced that for a year now, but my affected ear is prettty much a total loss at this point.

10. Edward

Edward New Member

May 8, 2020
    In the beginning of my problem I was doing a ton of research about this. I really didn't seem to find anything that would help. One person who was giving a lot of help online said, "your body has to sort it out" This meaning that your bodies healing ability has a lot to do with getting better or not.

The only thing I found that seemed to help was the lipo flavonoid plus. I never really could tell if diet really affected anything. Some times I thought diet mattered, but other times I wasn't so sure. Everything may seem to be a coincidence.

These are the things that I thought maybe helped:

1) Lipo Flavonoid Plus
    2) sleeping with ear plugs
    3) Very low restricted calorie diet, the less I ate in total the better I seemed.

None of these I can say for sure really helped and if just wasn't time and my body sorting itself out. Now I eat what I want and it doesn't matter. I never really seemed food or salt caused me issues. Sometimes I thought they did but I think it was just a coincidence. When your ear cycles every week, you will always try and pinpoint it to something or some food, but usually its not the case.

I am by no means 100% perfect, sometimes I can feel just a tinge of fluid or pressure in my bad ear starting and I worry it will start my issues again, but it hasn't over the past 8 months. Usually my problems start with a fluid buildup or pressure in my ear. Luckily over the past 8 months I have not had a single issue and my hearing seems to be about perfect. The longer I go without my hearing getting bad the better my hearing became.

I had Diplacusis very bad and that caused a lot of hearing issues. Usually the first thing I notice when my hearing is going is that in music with certain frequencies, I can hear a whistle because of Diplacusis and I know right away my hearing is getting bad.

An interesting thing is 20 years ago in my teenage years I went to the doctor complaining my left ear was hurting a little. After that visit the doctor said he could not find anything wrong and then it took 20 years later for me to develop my cochlear hydrops. So in a way my left ear has been a weak ear probably my whole life.
    I figured at the time it was because of listening to music too loud in my car and I stopped all that and was protective about my hearing since my teenage years.

11. Onedayatatime

Nov 22, 2016
    My sitch finally turned when I started treatment for MAV. Have not had any issues since. I don't think earlier diagnosis would have saved my ear, but don't know for sure. My Doc says I suffer from both Menieres and MAV.

12. meemil

meemil New Member

Oct 27, 2019
    Hi,
    I might have a theory on this.

First some background: I've experienced the same, in the beginning had +5 hours lasting hearing loss episodes in the lower range (120-500hz) which have stopped for now.

After starting JOH, I still sometimes get very mild hearing/fullness episodes strictly in +3000hz which last usually less than an hour. Hopefully will get rid of those as well when adding OLE/monolaurin in the mix. I don't know if this even is hydrops anymore because of higher frequency problems, but something seems to help.

The going theory on Cochlear Hydrops is accumulation of endolymph, which causes bending of the Organ of Corti. This causes the sound disturbances such as diplacusis and hearing loss as the hair cells are forced in a weird position. Feeling of fullness is also a common complaint. The bending usually affects the apex of cochlea, which is responsible for low frequency tones.

Now, in some cases of hydrops, the accumulation of the fuild is chronic (doesn't fluctuate) and hearing/fullness stays bad, until the cause of hydrops is found and corrected. As for the hearing loss, it's temporary as long as the hair cells aren't hurt of the bending.

If the condition progresses to Meniere, this is where permanent damage starts to occur AFAIK. The membrane in inner ear breaks because of too much pressure and the endolymph and perilymph mix. That's not good for the hair cells which causes damage to them.

The good news is that there's lots of treatments on the works for hair cell regeneration right now, which in theory could make that last part reversable.

I'm in no way expert on this, just have read few research articles on this and put that stuff together.

13. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    You were told wrong. Low frequency hearing does often come back. Mine did. If you lost any high frequency, it is less likely to come back. I would also say most likely your ch is better now but not entirely gone forever. Stay alert. Good luck!

14. Jedirusty

Jedirusty New Member

Apr 8, 2019
    i noticed recently i can have a change in hearing just just minutes after eating something salty. either that or its the chewing and TMJ that triggers fullness after eating. it fluctuates often, i just had a good year of hardly any symptoms but had a relapse this year maybe due to a tmj appliance.