1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Any M.D. sufferers done Immunotherapy for other ills?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by travelershe, May 7, 2020.

1. travelershe

travelershe New Member

Jan 18, 2019
    Bi lateral here. In the beginning they thought maybe I was auto- immune Menieres. I may be facing life saving immunotherapy treatments.....Anyone done this? Reactions, had to discontinue? Etc. Thank you in advance!

2. Autumninthefall

Autumninthefall Active Member

Aug 10, 2019
    If you're talking about allergy shots, which are immunotherapy(for anyone reading this who is unfamiliar with the topic), I had those for a few years and had to quit. I had to stop for a combination of reasons. A main factor was my reaction. I wasn't even half-way through the years long process and I started developing golf ball size plus lumps after each injection that burned like hell/itched. You can't take benadryl, as it can nullify the effect of the shot. It was horrible. One time I had difficulty breathing during the monitor period after the shot. After that, I had to keep an epipen with me.

As to effectiveness, the only lasting difference I've noticed is that I don't seem quite as allergic to cats. I still am, it just takes more than thirty minutes for the allergy to kick in now. Sadly, my other allergies are all still bad, if not worse. I've also developed new allergies and asthma since that time.

That's probably something to consider. New allergies can occur at any time, and then you'll have to start the process all over for that one allergen even if you've finished your prescribed allergy regimen otherwise.

Many people I know took the full course of shots, they all say it wasn't worth it. My allergies are bad enough that I'd start them again if other variables didn't interfere. I've considered the new sublingual form, but insurance doesn't cover them, and only so many allergens go into each bottle. For someone like me, it's just too expensive.

Unfortunately, nobody has definitive proof regarding the cause of Meniere's. As a result, Meniere's being an autoimmune disorder can not be ruled out. That being said, many individuals on this forum have educated guesses as to the cause, but for now they remain educated guesses.

I hope this helped. Maybe you'll have better luck. When it comes to Meniere's, many of us have adopted the strategy of trying anything if it truly passes the, "can't hurt, but might help," criteria. Emphasis on can't hurt. Each of us have taken different routes on our Meniere's journey. Here, we often encounter those who've been down some of the same roads, but no two people will give identical directions.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    I took allergy shots thru much of my childhood. Walked away from it as a young adult when I moved from Illinois to Texas and never an issue with allergies the four years I was in Texas. As soon as I moved back to Illinois the problems resumed. I tried allergy shots again and found them to be ineffective over a two year period. At that point, I gave them up and started treating allergy symptoms.