1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Famciclovir shortage in California

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by BayMama, May 27, 2020.

1. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Hi! I haven't been here for a while. Partly because I am doing so well, much thanks in a big way to this very place.

Anti-virals are an important part of what helps me. I saw the difference right away on Acyclovir many years ago, then switched to valacyclovir where I found the brand made a real difference, and landed on famciclovir, which has been the best for me. Unfortunately, we seem to be having a famiciclovir shortage in the San Francisco Bay Area. My Kaiser pharmacy keeps putting out the date when they will have more. There have been three changes now over the past month, and I don't believe them anymore. My mother, who also has MM and is helped by anti-virals, was able to get a prescription filled a few weeks ago and covered by Kaiser outside of the system, but had to call several pharmacies to find one with a limited supply. She is going to switch to acyclovir.

Is this famiclovir shortage happening in other areas? If not, maybe I can try getting from another geographic location.

2. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    The shortage in nationwide.

3. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Hello, in Europe where I live there is no shortage in general of anything. Only the first month of the covid it was difficult to find gloves, alcohol and masks; but even going to various stores or pharmacies he found himself.

On antivirals, if you have been taking them for a long time, in principle the viruses will have died or slept and, although I know it is scary, you can now try to leave them and see what happens. It is not healthy to take AV for so long if you don't need it.

Of course, he tries to get AV and have them at home in case he attacks again; But if you are slow to find them, think that it may be a while to check your true state of health right now.

And if you do not find AV you can try natural alternatives that work for others who do not get recipes: Monolaurin + JOH regimen. Or if you do not want to buy so many things I think that with monolaurin, lysine, vit C and lemon bioflavonoids it would be enough to control and hold until you can buy the AV.

PS: I always wanted to travel to San Francisco for movies and video games, when I was little I thought it would be good to live there one summer working haha. Too bad it is so expensive to travel from Europe.

4. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    I had to switch the valcyclovir.

5. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Thanks, everyone. I had inconsistent results with valacyclovir, so I'm going to try acyclovir.

I do a lot of the JOH already. I don't think I want to go without. I've never been able to even get down to the minimum dose.

Ivan, I do live in an area where the costs of things varies greatly. San Francisco itself is the most expensive. Maybe someday you can come stay somewhere nearby and visit the City. This is a beautiful and interesting area to visit (and to live). I hope you make it here someday!

6. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    Baymama - what manufacturer do you use? I switched from Famvir bc Northstar quit making it.