1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Bilateral? Symptoms

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Gardengal, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    Hello all. Would like some input, if anyone has experience. I have had mm in my left ear for 16 yrs. I have done wel with av and had pretty good control of things for 5 years now.
    A month ago I started having terrible pressure on my “good” ear. The pressure is enormous. I have taken hearing tests (on my phone) over the past year. I took one since the pressure, no apparent change in the hearing. I have swam some over the past few weeks and have mowed grass, so allergies and swimming come to mind as possible other explanations...but my gut feeling is mm related. The pressure is just unreal. It doesn’t get better when I “pop” my ear.
    How does bilateral begin? The thought of going through the same 16 years years with a fresh ear makes me want to cry. Also, if I am on av protocol...why is this happening to the good ear, thought av would have prevented it spreading/moving over. Errrrr.
    Any input welcome!

2. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Meniere involves three symptoms: tinnitus, hearing loss, and vertigo (no dizziness). It can cause other symptoms like the pressure that you mention; but without the three main symptoms it is not Meniere.

And if it were, you have to take into account that the "meniere syndrome" includes any disease that produces these three symptoms and, after doing medical tests, it is unknown what is causing them.

Since it is not really known what causes "meniere", there may be more than one distinct disease in the inner ear that causes these symptoms. It's not crazy to think this because almost all inner ear diseases can cause those three symptoms too: acoustic neurinoma, cervical rectification, wax plugs, etc.

Therefore there are several theories about what causes meniere: virus, allergy, autoimmune disease, cochlear malformation, etc. It would not be anything strange, in my opinion, that people with different diseases are being diagnosed with meniere. This would explain why the JOH, monolaurin, and AV regimen work for many people, but not all. Surely the most frequent cause is a virus, but there will be other patients whose cause is another. In your case, you may have a virus in your right ear and not in your left; but as I say you must first go to an ENT and discard all known causes and not anticipate events.

3. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    Thanks for your input. I agree, it’s not mm until other symptoms show up. I feel like pressure was one of my first symptoms when my left ear went. I just hope I’m wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Woodsrider

Woodsrider Member

Apr 16, 2017
    I’m bilateral and have been for 24 out 26 years of having mm. Mine started the same as your describing. I was put through a bunch of test before they came to the bilateral conclusion. It started in my left they went to my right. They only upside is my right has not given me as many problems as my left. My left is still giving me problems but it has slowly lessened over the last few years. I now have no hearing in my left and wear a hearing aid in the right. Do yourself a favor and get checked out so you don’t stress out thinking about it.

5. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    Thanks WR.