1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Symptoms - post labyrinthectomy

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by joebiosolid, May 17, 2020.

1. joebiosolid

joebiosolid New Member

Dec 18, 2017
    For those of you who have had the procedure, have you had tinnitus/aural fullness post surgery, and have these symptoms gradually been reduced from what they were before the labyrinthectomy?

2. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    Fullness: Completely gone. Tinnitus: I presume I will have forever—most days tolerable, though.

3. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    The only thing I deal with is tinnitus. I can control the intensity by staying away from loud venues and wearing ear plugs when doing vacuuming or mowing the lawn. Other than that I have no issues. I always repeat what my OTO told me before I had my laby. The laby is done to stop vertigo and if the rest of the symptoms are gone "it's icing on the cake". I feel like I got a huge piece of that cake:)

4. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    ^^^^what Red and Kevin said.

5. PleaseNoDizzy

PleaseNoDizzy Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Pretty much same here. The tinnitus isn't going anywhere for me. It does vary in intensity depending on if I am in a loud environment but it never goes away.

Every once in a while I get a bit off fullness - sometimes in both ears - but it's a fraction of the terrible fullness I had in my bad ear prior to the laby. Like 5%. And it's not often. I chalk it up to the migraine issue I am still contending with.

6. joebiosolid

joebiosolid New Member

Dec 18, 2017
    Ok, thanks for your replies. It's interesting that some of you mention how the tinnitus gets worse if you're around excessive noise. The same thing happens to me, but some days are worse then others. I do have worse symptoms if the weather involves a storm or low pressure system, Do any of you take medication to help control the tinnitus?

7. PleaseNoDizzy

PleaseNoDizzy Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Unfortunately there are no meds that exist that knock down the tinnitus. I'm married to an ENT so I bug him about it every few months just to make sure that hasn't changed LOL. Tinnitus is caused by the brain knowing it's missing a range of sounds. The sound we hear is its way of compensating.

8. Mustang1

Mustang1 Member

Jun 21, 2019
    Upstate NY
    Laby -Aug 20, 2019. Fullness is gone and the tinnitus has calmed down since the surgery and is now just a minor inconvenience. My balance continues to improve as well, best of luck to you.
    Kevin

9. Martina70

Martina70 New Member

Jun 1, 2020
    Cork Ireland
    Im going for Op on Wed next hopefully it will work for me too

• Like Like x 2
  10. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Best of luck! Let us know how you make out.

11. Martina70

Martina70 New Member

Jun 1, 2020
    Cork Ireland
    Thank you so much !!!

12. Michel

Michel Member

May 26, 2014
    Yes, best of luck! I'm sure you won't regret it.

9 years now since my laby. No fullness, and only very minor tinnitus. I pretty much don't even think about Meniere's anymore. I come back to this site once in a while to see what the latest is on the disease, treatments, etc. It's a pretty smart group that posts on this forum. Always something to learn.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Countrygirl

Countrygirl New Member

Jun 16, 2020

14. Countrygirl

Countrygirl New Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Does the procedure work? And is it worth having? How long is recovery? May have to have but not sure if I should go through with it.

15. Martina70

Martina70 New Member

Jun 1, 2020
    Cork Ireland
    Thank you

16. Martina70

Martina70 New Member

Jun 1, 2020
    Cork Ireland
    Thank you Im so happy your free of most of symptoms. To be honest I just need to get my life back. I have episodes now on a regular basis vomiting & nausea. Hopefully Op tomorrow will improve things

17. Martina70

Martina70 New Member

Jun 1, 2020
    Cork Ireland
    Hi all going for labyrinthectomy tomorrow am so nervous hopefully this will work I’m sick of this disease so much . If this does not work I don’t know what I will do.

Rgds Martina.

18. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Prayers for you for a successful surgery. Many of us on this board have been in your shoes. We made it and I believe you will too. As soon as you are able start walking, walking , waking! It makes a huge difference in your recovery. Good luck!

19. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Your gonna do great...^^^^what red said...w walk walk and walk some more.

I predict you will disappear from this site and live a normal anxiety free life from the beast like so many others have.

❤️❤️❤️❤️

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Mustang1

Mustang1 Member

Jun 21, 2019
    Upstate NY
    I'm 10 months post laby, no more vertigo and anxiety free. Like other have said, walking is going to help you recover faster. I'm a big hiker so I got back on the trails and put in as many miles as I could to help with the balance issues. I don't regret the surgery at all!

• Agree Agree x 1