1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Having a very hard time wearing face mask. Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Saundar, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Saundar

Saundar New Member

Jun 26, 2020
    New here but Ménière’s for 17 years. Anyone else having a really hard time wearing a facemask? Having 2 senses covered up after one being compromised is one thing and have to wear readers too and my depth perception is all off even more than it already is! It’s hard to hear and causing anxiety. It’s overwhelming and exhausting. Is it just me??? I only wear one when absolutely required or I avoid places where I have to wear one. Thoughts?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    When I started to recover and stopped having dizziness with loss of balance, but I still had daily dizziness. I went to the supermarket a couple of times and with the mask on for so long, moving and heat, I got several times feeling overwhelmed and dizzy. But it was never more, in fact I think before dizziness I would have been dizzy just the same if I had to spend an hour hanging around in a supermarket with a mask.

I do not know in your country, here the mask is mandatory in places where you can not separate 1.5 meters from other people. In other situations you can go without it, the risk is in short distances and closed places with poor ventilation. However, I always wear it just in case, what I try to do is to leave my house as little as possible. I only go to the osteopath, the supermarket and since the covid started I only stay once a month to have a drink with friends.

3. Autumninthefall

Autumninthefall Active Member

Aug 10, 2019
    Welcome, Saundar. I'm with you on this problem! I have pretty bad asthma, so on days when it's especially bad, the mask isn't going to happen. My dog is delighted, however, as this means his morning walk occurs even sooner than he expected. I have specific routes in mind for us to walk depending on time of day, if I'm wearing a mask on given day, and least populated routes. Plus, I was told to stay home by my doctor. I'd like to know if anyone else was told to isolate, because of Meniere's, "just to be safe/just in case," by their doctor. I've only left my home when absolutely necessary, and cases are surging where I live. People aren't wearing masks.:(
    Have you tried surgical tape to help with fogging on your glasses?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Rather than a mask have u thought about a face shield.... to cover your eyes, nose and mouth...I was reading a study that face shields are more effective than masks....much more effective

• Like Like x 1
  5. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016

6. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    I have to wear a face shield at work and I have to admit I am not a big fan. My own voice echos in it and considering my bad ear in terms of hearing, it makes it all an uncomfortable experience. I take it off whenever I can or I rather slide it up and wear it at the top of my head like sun glasses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    I have no issues with the mask but totally understand what all of you are saying. I want to thank you for finding alternatives to the mask and also planning your day around being safe not only for yourself but for others. We are all in this together. God bless you all.

• Like Like x 1
  8. yanksgirl

yanksgirl Member

May 12, 2014
    The mask gives me breathing problems. In the supermarket especially--alot of walking and if I then, talk to my husband, that makes it worse--talking takes more breathing effort and my mouth being covered is a problem. I get even more lightheaded. I learned to sort of pull out the bottom of the mask on occasion in order to get more air--it helps for a few mins. Some days are worse than others. And trying to converse with anyone, especially doctor's is awful--we read lips more than we realize and having to ask them to repeat or just nodding when you don't really understand--is frustrating, as you may be missing something important.

9. smartcard

smartcard New Member

Jun 5, 2014
    The mask gives me breathing problems too

10. Dora Smith

Dora Smith New Member

Aug 9, 2020

11. Dora Smith

Dora Smith New Member

Aug 9, 2020

12. Dora Smith

Dora Smith New Member

Aug 9, 2020
    It sounds like the heat and the mask are giving you a touch of heat exhaustion. I've always found that fluid loss from heat upsets my menieres before I get heat exhaustion, which has long proven invaluable for avoiding more serious problems with the heat.

Many people have particular trouble with overheating when exercising out of doors in masks. In most places you don't have to wear masks if they affect your health, eg you overheat or can't breathe, or when exercising out of doors.

Humans aren't very aware that breathing is very important to our ability to cool our bodies in hot weather. It's also very important to dogs, but they don't also sweat.

But, if it is specifically heat that is causing your problems, just put your mask on when you go indoors! All grocery stores are air conditioned, and they're usually quite chilly.