1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Alternatives to the diuretics?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Gina Manchego, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Gina Manchego

Gina Manchego New Member

Jul 1, 2020
    Help! My ENT’s only solution for the Ménière’s flare (I’ve been caught in for 32 days straight,) is diuretic. I recently discovered I have a heart arrhythmia allergy called Prolonged QT to medicine antagonist- unfortunately I’m allergic to the “go to” diuretics that work for Ménière’s. I can’t be the only magical unicorn in the world that can’t take a diuretic for Ménière’s. Has anyone had success on another non invasive treatment plan not involving a diuretic? Please advise. Thanks.

2. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    You can try SERC (betahistine), ask the otorrino; but it is a very safe mediation. More or less it works for 70% of those who take it, reducing the number of attacks, their duration and balance recovery time. In Europe and Canada it is what is already prescribed, diuretics usually give them later if SERC alone does not work.

I assume you have already seen the database and that you can also try the JOH, monolaurin, or antiviral regimen. Taking 100mg of B5 and 100mg of B6 with breakfast without salt has also helped several people.

Something that I have not tried, but that I have already read a couple of clinical trials that said that it alleviates Meniere's symptoms in 87% of cases was Pycnogenol (Sea Pine Extractor).

As for the diet to follow, some get relief by taking less than 2g of sodium (salt) a day, leaving caffeine, alcohol, sugar and sweeteners. A few improved by leaving gluten too.

Checking and treating allergies has also helped some, helping others have their thyroid examined as well.

All the things I have put in take time to take effect. Don't expect immediate relief, but in a few months. My advice is to start SERC with a low salt diet, without caffeine, sugar, gluten or alcohol. Because if it works it is the fastest way to regain "sanity". From there I would try the other things little by little to see if any work. Personally, I would recommend starting with antivirals because if your cause is a virus it is the fastest and most effective, and you would also permanently reduce the damage it is causing you.

While you are looking to see if the antivirals work, you would not waste your time and ask for blood, allergy and thyroid tests. Especially allergies because vaccines take 2-3 years to take effect.

I leave you here the times it takes to take effect (if they do) all the things that I have put:

-JOH: Some notice improvement the first month, but the normal is 6 months.
    -SERC: 1-2 months to notice something, full effect 6 months.
    -Leave gluten: If done strictly, improvement is noted in 15 days, but the full effect takes 3 months.
    -Leave salt, caffeine, theine, alcohol, sugar and sweeteners: I don't know how long it takes to take effect. I imagine at least a month.
    -Antiviral: Look at the Valtrex and Aciclovir threads in the database, the times vary between people. But at least 3 weeks with the maximum dose, but many people need 2-3 months. Valtrex (brand), better than Valaciclovir (generic) and this better than acyclovir (another worse antiviral).
    -Vaccines: 2-3 years to begin to be noticed.
    -B5 / B6: In one week improvement in dizziness, in one month tinnitus.
    -Pycnogenol: Unknown. I have not tried it yet.

I have not put it, but you can also try the injections in the ear, there is one that has a lower effectiveness; but it is quite safe and does not compromise hearing. The other in my country is advertised with 90% effectiveness and minimal hearing loss, but the risk of hearing loss is there.

If you are able to endure your current state (difficult I imagine) I recommend not opting for surgery right now because Otonomy is in a very advanced phase of a trial with treatment for Meniere, it consists of an injection of delayed-release dexamethasone that would allow the medicine take effect for several months. Currently dexamethasone produces relief for a short time and injections would be necessary continuously. In fact right now they are recruiting people to test the final phase, maybe you are interested in sending an email and trying to be a test subject: https://www.otonomy.com/pipeline/

In any case, the study will end in December, it is possible that in early 2021 this treatment will be available. So if you can last 6-9 months without surgery, I would give it a try.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Gina Manchego

Gina Manchego New Member

Jul 1, 2020
    Tha

4. Gina Manchego

Gina Manchego New Member

Jul 1, 2020
    Thanks so much for taking the time to respond

5. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    If anything works for you, please report us. Good luck!

6. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    I could not take diuretics for MM. My blood pressure got even lower than usual- 80/50.
    During an attack, while one diuretics, I dehydrated so much I was taken to A&E.
    Never ever more diuretics for myself.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Gina Manchego

Gina Manchego New Member

Jul 1, 2020

8. Gina Manchego

Gina Manchego New Member

Jul 1, 2020
    Have you had lengthy success on another medicinal regimen?
    Please advise and thank you.

9. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    What brought some relief was Monolaurin.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Megan Henry

Megan Henry Member

Oct 5, 2019
    I take horsetail as I could not tolerate the intensity of any diuretics There was a small study performed comparing the efficacy of horsetail to HCTZ and both had the same effects on Meniere's symptoms.

• Like Like x 1