1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Low Pitch Tinnitus Hell

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by merlin007, Jul 7, 2020.

1. merlin007

merlin007 New Member

Mar 22, 2020
    I was wondering how many people here have low pitch tinnitus and if anyone was able to get it to stop.

It is the bane of my life and is slowly killing me.

I've tried low salt, diuretics and on my 3rd month of serc, still no relief.

I am following JOH also, month 4, but the prognosis of waiting years for the low pitch to go scares me.

2. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Tinnitus is usually the only symptom that almost always remains, even in people who managed to find the cause of their meniere and cure dizziness and even regain some hearing, they usually have tinnitus forever.

It only helps me to lower it or perhaps ignore it by playing sports. Some got their tinnitus down with the JOH thing, wait 6 months to see what happens. Other things you can try is pycnogenol and a few days ago in this forum someone shared a recent clinical trial with a type of mushroom that reduced tinnitus in people with meniere.

3. Rich

Rich Member

Apr 21, 2019
    West Virginia
    I have had MM for many years now, tinnitus has been with me since day one...after a while you just kinda get used to it. If I concentrate on it I become aware of it. Unfortunately as Ivan said it’s one of the symptoms the usually stays with you. When I first got MM it was really loud but has quieted down over the years.

4. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    I have had tinnitus for some 15 years in both ears and MM for 5 years ‘only’
    I got used to it and now it’s a part of me ..... unfortunately. I don’t think anything can be done about it.

5. JoannefromJersey

JoannefromJersey New Member

Jun 24, 2020
    I got a hearing aid because I was having trouble hearing in crowds in my Meniere's ear. After wearing it, i found it more useful to mask against the tinnitus out of that ear.

6. merlin007

merlin007 New Member

Mar 22, 2020
    I have low pitch and high pitch. Low pitch being the troublesome one. High pitch I realise now I've had for many years and can cope with it.

Everyone who have responded. Are you talking about low, high or both ?

7. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    In my case they fluctuate. Now I have been in a low tone for 2 days, last week it was in a high tone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Weeba

Weeba Member

Jun 19, 2020
    When I go to bed I concentrate on the tinnitus instead of fighting it which sounds crazy I know. It used to bother my trying to get to sleep but now I welcome it. By concentrating on the tinnitus I don't let other thoughts get into my head so now I fall right to sleep. I used to use white noise to try and drown out the noise but since I am nearly deaf I can no longer hear the white noise. Anyway, works for me. Good luck.

9. JoannefromJersey

Jun 24, 2020
    Mine fluctuates also, but mostly it's higher pitch.

10. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    I know it sucks...I have tinnitus in an ear that was surgically removed with a labyrinthectomy. Unfortunately, our brains freak out because they aren’t receiving the input they are accustomed to due to damage to the hearing anatomy and they provide their own input, which is the tinnitus. I always found the low roar to be diminished when driving/riding in a car. Seems like if you can get close to mimicking the pitch, it’s less noticeable and less distracting. Trying not to focus on it works best for me. I find at night in bed before sleep to be he worst time because the world is quiet and my tinnitus is not.

11. merlin007

merlin007 New Member

Mar 22, 2020
    Thank you everyone. much appreciated

12. merlin007

merlin007 New Member

Mar 22, 2020
    Does this happen to anyone ?

When I'm watching TV. My low pitch tinnitus goes away when there is sound and returns when the sound stops.

If someone is talking on the show I'm watch it literally stops then returns after they stop talking.

I have told alllll the doctors I've seen and they look at me as if I am mad.

maybe i am :)

13. JoannefromJersey

Jun 24, 2020
    Perhaps, there is some sound component in the tv OR what your actually watching, that is inadvertently masking the low tone of your tinnitus. It's the same thing of those who don't hear their tinnitus while driving.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    It doesn’t go away, it’s masked due to the other input of the TV. My tinnitus is acting up right now in my “good” ear and I notice it less when there is other sound input. Like go from the room with TV then into the bathroom or a room where you can’t hear the TV. Tinnitus will be much more pronounced. Bed time is the worst. Get a white noise generator on your phone to obscure the tinnitus. This is hard shit, but believe it or not, you will adjust and get used to it. Believe me, I’m a musician and have lost 1/2 of my hearing to a laby and the other 1/2 is going to cochlear hydrops. Try to be patient and get used to the new normal. There is tons of support here.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    This may also be the result of processing load/selective attention: the cognitive inclination to rank order, prioritise, & subsequently pay attention to, & process task-related stimuli (processing language &/or meaningful sound) over non task-related stimuli (tinnitus).

16. merlin007

merlin007 New Member

Mar 22, 2020
    very possible

17. twodogs

twodogs Member

Jul 26, 2018
    T has been with me since I remember. There are many different sounds and I mean many and across the pitch spectrum. Most of the time I ignore it because it has always been there. I mostly notice when a new sound presents. To me it is the least bothersome symptom although I wish it would go and I could know what silence is.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    Silence. As an introvert, how I used to treasure that!

• Like Like x 1
  19. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Antivirals got rid of it for me.

20. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    What kind ?