1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Drop attacks

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by No thanks, Jul 8, 2020.

1. No thanks

No thanks Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Well I’m not very active on this site, but rather, I check in time to time and have learned a lot from your posts. Thank you for this forum!

For a little background, I was diagnosed with MM in 2017, but before that, cochlear hydrops, and upon reflection, I had symptoms as far back as 2009 (fullness, low frequency HL). I also had a stapedectomy in 2011 and had experienced BBPV very occasionally in the past, with success using a maneuver. All this in my right ear. In 2017 while traveling I had severe vertigo on two occasions resulting in significant HL (which did not resolve). I have tried JOH, low-salt diet, diuretics – no help. I continue to take famvir and betahistine since 2017 and seemed to have success with those (no vertigo, but HL remains).

In Dec 2019 I had difficulty getting the famvir refilled for a variety of reasons, and started having increased tinnitus, increased dizziness, and finally got the rx and got back on it (only off about 3-4 weeks) and increased lysine during that time.

In February 2020 I woke up in the middle of the night spinning with nausea. Since that time, I have vertigo associated with any head movement that is not slow and minimal. I see Dr. Derebery at House Ear (currently telehealth). We’ve discussed BBPV, but because of all the different head movements that could precipitate this, I didn’t feel I could narrow it down to one canal to maneuver. She seems to think that it may be due to migraine which I have a history of (as well as allergies).

Monday I experienced what I guess was a "drop attack" as described by others. While I didn't exactly drop to the ground, I did have to "sit down and hold on" for the ride. It only lasted a couple of minutes, but it was violent and came on very quickly. It felt like someone took my head and shook it vigorously. There was nothing specific that precipitated it. I had a moderately active morning - walked the dog, did some gardening, swam (with a swimmer's snorkel to minimize head movement), showered and washed my hair - all of these thing I had been doing routinely without problem (as long as I use the snorkel - not turn my head for a breath) and ALWAYS attempting to minimize head movement. Immediately after the shower it hit. After sitting down and keeping very still, I immediately took .5 mg ativan (sublingual) and 25 mg of meclizine (with my husband's help to locate them). While I hadn't before experienced the speed at which this went from nothing to extreme vertigo, this wasn't close to what I had experienced when traveling in 2017 in regards to duration. I had just thought that things were improving, despite my recent mild, but frequent, episodes.

If you’re still reading… thanks! My question is for those who have had drop attacks, what kind of advice can you give? Is there anything to do to recognize when one might occur? Has anyone had just one, or should I expect that this will worsen in the future? I have been reading some posts regarding this. I guess in the back of my mind I know that a laby is an option if it persists, as I don’t want life to come to a standstill. I have been thankful that for the most part I have been able to be active – bike riding, swimming (with a swimmer’s snorkel), hiking, and working. The uncertainty of this is very unsettling. We’re still not really sure whether it’s the menieres, MAV, BBPV or a combination that is the cause, which makes management tricky.

Thanks for any insight you can give!

2. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    I suffered drop attacks and for me it was a no-brainer to get the laby. Of course, I was dx’d with Ménière’s so there’s that too. I had had the light dizziness, spins, tilted world feeling, full-blown vertigo attacks puking for hours and drop attacks. Everything so unpredictable. The drops are the worst because they are so dangerous. Once I started having them, my oto said, “it’s time.” Got the laby and it gave me my life back. I know there are others here who would say the same.

Best of luck,
    Kevin

• Like Like x 2
  3. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    I agree with Kevin the laby gave me my life back. The only thing I will add regarding drop attacks is if you are questioning if you had one then most likely you did not. Drop attacks give no warning. You can not predict when one will occur. They can be deadly. I had my laby because of drop attacks.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Autumninthefall

Autumninthefall Active Member

Aug 10, 2019
    I agree with red 100% on this! I’ll also add that if you had time/were physically able to take ANY precautionary measures, this was not a drop attack. It sounds like acute onset vertigo, which is still horrible. I’m sorry the beast reared it’s ugly head again.

You lose control of your body in a drop attack, and a spectator would assume you fainted cold. It would only be after the fact that you’d be able to say to an observer, “I know it looked like I fainted, but I never lost consciousness.” This is assuming that any injuries sustained during the fall were not life threatening, as they very well can be, though we try not to dwell on that aspect.
    My first drop attack occurred on a hardwood floor. I received a concussion and massive contusion on my arm. My doctor said I was lucky. Yeah, don’t we all feel really lucky?!
    I feel lucky that a surgical labyrinthectomy stopped my drop attacks.
    I don’t think you’re there yet, but it seems like it happens at different times for each of us who’ve had the surgery. Good luck, and here’s to you finding what works for you.

5. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    It is possible to consider a drop attack as both an uncontrolled event or outcome, & a controlled response to faulty vestibular input.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. gary warren

gary warren New Member

Jul 11, 2020
    I just found this site, I have had 2 drop attacks awhie back and within 2 weeks of each other , it;s been a couple of months since , I had a vertigo attack last week ....what is a laby ? I have the tinnitus and now hearing aids ...and this vertigo is scary .

7. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    Laby is short for labyrinthectomy. It’s a surgical procedure that removes the balance anatomy from the affected ear. Gets rid of the vertigo permanently unless you go bilateral.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. No thanks

No thanks Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Thanks for the clarification on what exactly is a drop attack. Since I didn't loose body control, I guess it was more like acute onset vertigo like Autumn described. But most interestingly, after I recovered from that later in the day, I haven't had any vertigo since (I had been having mild/moderate vertigo daily.) I have still been cautious with my movements, but movements that had previously triggered it, no longer does. Although we had considered BPPV, it was happening with most head movements so it was difficult to determine which canal it could've been. I'm no expert on BPPV, but my informal theory of what may have happened is that a crystal burst stimulating many hair cells resulting in what felt like an explosion of vertigo. (At least that's my take on it!!) Anyway, I still have Menieres, I still have migraines (recently just visual auras), although not sure how much that is playing a part, and there is the likelihood that BPPV will occur again sometime. In the meantime, I am enjoying vertigo-free movement, but am ever so cautious! Thanks again for all the posts on this forum. I have learned a lot from everyone, and continue to consider all this info as my condition changes.

9. Low flyer

Low flyer New Member

Jul 31, 2020
    Hi
    I was initially diagnosed with menieres approx 30 years ago and suffered with severe dizziness and sickness for 18 months. I was then absolutely fine for approx 27 years.. Then it seem to come back with a vengence and i was put back on betahistamines. These attacks carried on for the best part of a year. then whilst sitting in my parked car i had a 'drop attack' where my auto balance just flipped and extreme dizzyness and sickness followed. A couple of months later i was walking and again my auto balance flipped and my body flung backwards onto the road ending up with me visiting hospital.
    Later after seeing a consultant he suggested i might be suffering from VESTIBULAR MIGRAINE and prescribed PIZOTIFEN. Within 2 weeks i was felling good and have had no episodes since which is 18 months plus. Note i do not suffer any headaches normally associated with migaine.