1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Finally pushed off the edge

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Biffer, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Biffer

Biffer Member

Aug 6, 2020
    This is my first post here so please bare with me as I babble.... I lost all the hearing in my left ear around 20 years ago. When I saw a ENT he told me I had the beginning symptoms of Menieres but left me with the vague diagnosis of "Idiopathic hearing loss". He did nothing for it other than put me on a diuretic. In a few weeks my hearing mostly returned. For the last 20 years I've been losing my hearing in the left ear on and off 3 or five times a year with the resulting tinnitus. Usually in the summer which really left me wondering if the whole thing was allergy related. I still wonder that. I've actually considered myself lucky that I was not getting the vertigo so many sufferers get. Until a month ago. I lost my hearing around 2 months ago and a few weeks later suffered my first vertigo attack. A big one. I couldn't walk, could barely even sit. Everything spun until I finally vomited for around a half hour. I have since had two more attacks, the one last night even worse than the first. I saw my doctor 5 days ago after the second attack and he put me on prednesone and made an appointment with a ENT (which knowing how that goes probably won't happen for weeks). The first day I thought it was helping as my hearing came back a bit and I lost a bit of the "brain fog" that seems to be with me most of the time. Then last night, feeling a bit more sure I had a drink... one drink. Within half an hour it was as if I had consumed an entire bottle of tequila. My wife had to help me into the house where I lay in bed spinning until I finally vomited for a good half hour. In around another hour I was OK.

Needless to say I have many questions and I'm going to go over past posts here on the forum but I'm wondering, first off, if this sounds like Meniers. Second,what peoples triggers for this are? I'm guessing one of mine, after last night, may be alcohol. Bummer as I have always enjoyed a drink after work. I know salt is bad and I have been trying to watch my intake. But what else? And can heat and humidity trigger symptoms?

I appreciate your reading this and welcome any comments and advise.

2. Weeba

Weeba Member

Jun 19, 2020
    I have been told that if you have a fullness feeling in your ear, tinnitus, loss of hearing, and vertigo, and doctors can find no other reason for it than it is Menieres. I have had Menieres for over thirty years and have found no triggers for my attacks. The longest period of time that I was in remission was 3 years. My Menieres started similar to what you are going through. Good luck..

3. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Google Translate:

Triggers can be anything, that is the problem that each person must think about in their lifestyle and what can be the causes, leave them for at least three months and decide if it has improved, worsened or remains the same.

The most general and common causes are usually alcohol, caffeine, theine, sugar, sweeteners and salt. But they are the most common, I think, because it is what is consumed the most in the world on a daily basis, so therefore it is very likely that they are the cause of many more people than, for example, carrots that will be consumed by very few people. in the world on a daily basis.

I have not noticed any improvement or worsening after leaving all of the above for 3 months and taking it again, in moderation, the last month. It is true that perhaps to be sure that they affect me, I should have six beers or four cups of coffee together one day, but at least consuming it normally has not made me worse. Yesterday I had mild-strong dizziness after an almost perfect month, but I don't think it was due to what I ate or drank, in fact yesterday's dizziness was just on a day where I had a bifidus yogurt without sugar or sweeteners and I I ate a toast with peanut butter and various fruits. Zero salt, zero caffeine, zero alcohol and very little sugar.

What I have noticed is that when I have had the best tinnitus and even my energy has been after giving up gluten, I have been gluten-free for 5 weeks and after the third was when I have felt the best after 6 months. (Fortunately there is gluten-free beer) But this does not mean anything, in Meniere that something works is not evidence that it really works because the disease itself can remit itself for weeks, months and even years. But since there is no other alternative, if you try something and see that you feel better, it is best to continue with it. I think that antivirals and JOH really work for many people because most in a few months go from being very bad to being very good and that improvement remains constant over time forever or for many years. It would be too much of a coincidence that all the people who have tried this have had a remission of the disease at the same time forever or for many years.

In short, a long trial-and-error adventure awaits you to find out what hurts you and what doesn't. I the first thing I suspected was vitamin D deficiency and in March I started sunbathing without cream (blocks vitamin D) on my face and hands every day for 20 minutes, since May I do the same for my whole body (10 minutes in front and 10 my back). Also since April I have been drinking milk and margarine reinforced with vitamin D. Well, I don't know if my improvement in Meniere also has to do with this, but I am sure that I had vitamin D anemia because on July 7 I did a thyroid analysis and after 4 months doing all this I had my vitamin D at the minimum acceptable (range is 30 to 60 and I was 31).

But all of this is just experiments on my own, after much meditation on my life and the changes in it the last 5-10 years. I thought about vitamin D because in 2014 without a job I decided to study law from home, this made my daily routine since then almost always from my bed to my study room, when I left home it was usually night to take something with my friends and even the few times that I go out during the day where I live it is usually cloudy and it rains in autumn and winter.

You have to try things, look for allergies, etc. For example, wine and other foods have sulfites that could be your problem, there are people with allergies to nuts, nickel (tomato and tuna have nickel), etc. Obviously you can start with the JOH or antivirals, many people work and they do not have to leave food or alcohol or anything.

On the tequila you have discussed, alcohol reduces antibodies if the cause of your meniere was viral, bacterial or fungal. Reducing the antibodies would not help contain the problem, temporarily causing worse symptoms.

4. Biffer

Biffer Member

Aug 6, 2020
    Thanks for the replies. I will have to look into antivirals. And it's good to know that sugar and sweateners are on the list. That was in that drink last night too.

On another note, I'm wondering how long an "episode" lasts? Or I can re-phrase that to say "What is considered an "episode"? For instance, last night I had that horrendous vertigo experience where I could not move and then got sick but today I'm still lurching around like there is water in my brain. It feels like if I turned things up just a few notches I could go into the full blown vertigo again. Is this all an "episode". I'm taking dramamin and I'm wonderng if that's holding the full blown thing off? I'm scheduled to see an ENT next week but I'm thinking nothing much will come of it just as in the past... but I guess I have to try.

5. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    The episode where you are spinning is the “episode,” the feeing you are having now is simply the recovery or hangover from your episode. Sucks. Sorry.

6. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    The episode is vertigo, it can last from a few minutes to several hours. Usually for the vertigo episode sedatives are prescribed so that the person falls asleep while the episode ends.

All you are feeling now is as the other partner explained: The hangover of vertigo.

It can last for a few days, weeks, or months. I had my attack on February 15th and for almost three months I had a "hangover". The first eight weeks I had several strong dizziness a day that lasted for hours and almost always losing my balance, when these dizziness stopped severe headaches began. All this with the tinnitus through the roof, with moments of being almost deaf in my right ear and also with days of very annoying hyperacusis.

I do not want to scare you by telling you all this, rather the opposite that you know that it is perfectly normal that for months you notice unpleasant changes in your hearing, balance, head, etc. Nobody told me and I went into a terrible depression because I thought that whatever was happening to me was getting worse as new things happened in my head and hearing (I came to think that I had a brain tumor). And it is just the opposite, all those symptoms are your brain and ear recovering, they will do it very slowly and it is very unpleasant; but it is totally normal. It sucks, but at least don't fall into anxiety and depression like me, probably if I hadn't gotten so nervous about not knowing what was happening to me, my recovery would have been faster and milder, but in those months I had the worst stress of my life. life, sleeping 3-4h even with diazepam, crying, etc. I did not know anything about what was happening to me, the covid had the country closed and I was only prescribed sedatives and to endure until the pandemic was better.

Look for vestibular rehabilitation videos and do them at least twice a day, they help to regain vestibular functions before and when you do them, it is with someone close because it is normal when you start to lose your balance or feel dizzy when doing these exercises, but it is totally normal and help to recover sooner. I'll give you my videos, but they are in Spanish: PACIENTES

I didn't do the tai-chi ones, but the others I did all of them. They have a traffic light before each test: Green is that you can do them alone, yellow you can also do them alone, but it is recommended to have someone nearby and red is dangerous to do them alone.

To be honest, I did all the exercises alone. First I started with the simplest only, when I found something better, I expanded to the yellow and red exercises, while I stopped doing the green ones.

Specifically, the exercise that I recommend doing the most every day 2-3 times is the one in the video: Ejercicios HERDMANN, minute 5:30 and minute 7:14. These two exercises will almost certainly cause dizziness or a headache, but they can be done completely alone and are the most effective.

Don't expect miracles either, vestibular rehab can make you feel better in 1-3 weeks instead of a month or two, but it's not instantaneous. Think of it as physical therapy exercises or medium-term sports training.

Good luck!

7. Biffer

Biffer Member

Aug 6, 2020

Thank you.

8. Jimii

Jimii Member

Apr 10, 2019
    Biffer,

I would have responded earlier, but my power just came back after a week.

Your description of your Meniere's is extremely similar to mine. 1st eighteen years was very tolerable with just the hearing going slowly, constant tinnitus, short mild vertigo episodes, and some hyperacusis etc. Then the real vertigo attacks started last year. So far I have only had vertigo attacks between April and Sept. Oct. to Mar. was back to my normal. I hope for the same again this fall.

I just recently quit drinking, but alcohol was not a trigger for me, actually the opposite.

Jim

9. Fancygal

Fancygal New Member

Aug 11, 2020

10. Fancygal

Fancygal New Member

Aug 11, 2020
    Hi! I am new here as well. This is my first reply. I am currently experiencing fullness in the ear. I had two attacks last week. I am waiting for this one to happen as well. Triggers for me our lack of sleep and stress. I know alcohol is a big NO NO. I wonder if that is what triggered it for you?

11. Biffer

Biffer Member

Aug 6, 2020
    I'm following Glenn Schwietzer's (Mind over Menier's) advise and making notes every day. I put down what I ate and what meds I took. Also anything else of note. I'm hoping to find a pattern. Like Jimii above my hearing loss has only occured Spring-Fall, not in the winter, so I'm very inclined to think allergies are a real factor. I've started a regime of Chinese herbal meds all geared towards inner ear health. Seems to me that it is where all the problems lie so if I can just get that pressure under control the vertigo will go. I started it three days ago and, knock on wood, having my best day today. My hearing is almost back to normal (not saying much) after a month of total clogged and no swaying. I know not to get my hopes up but I can't help it.

12. Biffer

Biffer Member

Aug 6, 2020
    Same here, all my hearing loss takes place April-Sept. Hopefully that will be the same now that it has moved into the vertigo. That really leads me to think it must be allergy related. Of course once the symptoms begin then all the other triggers probably come into play... salt, stress and what ever else. I'm not sure how much alcohol is a trigger as much as it was just the final push on a day I was already feeling unsteady. Most days this past week I walked around feeling like I was breathing nitrious oxide (do you guys get that?) and that it would only take a few turns on the knob to put me over the edge. The drink that day was the turn. I would do anything to not go through that again.