1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Another storm, again the fluctuating ear.

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by IvanA, Aug 19, 2020.

1. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Since May I hadn't had a big storm so I didn't know if what I had suffered in March and April was the hangover from my vertigo in February or if the weather was really affecting me. Today is a great storm and my right ear "comes and goes" as if it wanted to be plugged and also, the sensitivity I have in my ear is incredible because I feel each blow of air as if it were hitting me inside.

For now I am not complaining, I have not been dizzy and the tinnitus does not fluctuate. It is annoying and a little scary because it seems that at any moment I will go deaf or hyperacusis will return.

2. Irishstu

Irishstu Member

Apr 28, 2019
    Same here. A storm rolled in and my aural fullness and tinitus is back big time!

3. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    I have been told that people who fly and are bothered by the pressure change in their ears wear earplugs so that the pressure does not affect them as much.

In the next storm I will try to put on some earplugs or computer headphones.

At the end last night I had a little dizziness at 4 in the morning, fortunately it lasted half an hour. Today I'm better, but I still feel a little strange in my head, but nothing serious.

4. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    Neither earphones (with sound) nor ear plugs can in any way change the air pressure in the inner ear. It's the same with or without them.

--John of Ohio

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    The purpose of earplugs designed specifically to prevent or decrease barotrauma isn't to alter or change the pressure of the inner ear, but rather to grant the inner ear more time to equalise themselves.

--Nathan of Asgard

Put them in one or so hours prior to the arrival of the next storm, rather than once you're actively in the storm.

Subject to the rate in which your ear can equalise/their ability to in fact equalise, & the duration of the pressure system, ear plugs may ease discomfort within the first 30 - 60 minutes (roughly speaking) of the pressure change, & only if they're inserted prior to the storms arrival, or prior to the influence of the high or low pressure system.

Placing the earplugs into your ears post pressure change will defeat the purpose of the earplugs.

By analogy, this is the reason why earplugs used during flight are meant to be inserted 30 - 60 minutes prior to ascent (first pressure change), removed shortly after cruising altitude has been reached, replace before descent (second pressure change), & removed again shortly after landing.

One misconception about earplugs, other than that demonstrated above, is that they prevent pressure differentials entirely for as long as they are worn, when in fact they simply decrease the rate of the pressure change, & by doing so grant your inner ear roughly 30 - 60 minutes more time to equalise.

If inserted prior to the pressure change, the pressure between the earplug & eardrum will reach that of the pressure exterior to the earplug within an hour, roughly speaking.

And of course, when I say earplugs I'm referring to earplugs specifically designed to prevent or decrease barotrauma, which are significantly different to earplugs designed to reduce noise.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  6. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Thanks for the info Nathan! I'll find some barotrauma plugs and give it a try. Now in summer it is rare that we have storms here, but between November and April it is usually common.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    No hay problema, mi amigo.

• Friendly Friendly x 1