1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

New

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Bardie22, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Bardie22

Bardie22 New Member

Aug 30, 2020
    Hi, I'm in UK, still waiting for a confirmed diagnosis, ENT referrals are not happening where I am due to Covid. I am currently housebound after a really bad attack 2 weeks ago, that lasted about 3 days. Very limited support from GP also.

5he first time it happened was March this year when I got an extremely high pitch in right 3ar then both ears, went very dizzy and eventually vomited, was OK a couple of hours later. This happened 2 days later, for about 2 hours again. This last attack, 2 weeks ago, has been horrendous.

I have continual tinnitus and ear pressure in my left ear, causing me to be off balance, sometimes goes to right ear. When I get a really high pitch noise in right ear it usually means I'm about to hit the floor and vomit.

GP has given me betahistine, cyclizine, prochlorazepine, I also take a high dose slow release vit b complex and high dose vit c. Waiting to have MRI which I will be paying for. Have tried bioflavanoids but didn't seem to make much difference.

My C1 leans to the right, was shown in an xray some years ago, I also have issues with jaw and use trigger point therapy for that. I have just ordered some Pycnogenol to see if that helps.

What else can I do to try and get some sort of normal back and return to work?

2. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    I'm very sorry for your illness.

The first thing you need to do is have an MRI to rule out other known causes of these symptoms.

After that and assuming you have Meniere you will have to try things and see what hurts you and what makes you feel better. It is a slow process, be patient.

What usually works the most for everyone is to reduce sodium (salt) intake to at most 1.5g per day. And never below 0.5gr. Give up caffeine, theine, tobacco, and alcohol as well.

Betahistine takes two months to take effect, do not stop taking it, never be constant. I do not know what dose they have given you, but do not give up if it does not work with the current dose, ask for it to be raised if in two months you do not notice improvement. I started with 16mg every 12h, it eased me a bit, but I wasn't quite right and they raised it to 24mg every 12h and there I noticed a great improvement and even now when I feel bad I take 24mg every 8h for a few days. It usually reduces the intensity and duration of attacks of vertigo and dizziness.

Bioflavonoids have to be lemon, not citrus or something else and they also take a few weeks to kick in. Something that I am trying, but which seems to work very well for most, is taking sea pine extract. There is a clinical study that shows that vitamin D3 could help with symptoms.

In this forum, many feel improvement with the JOH regimen, which are various supplements that would help fight a virus that could be the cause, but many others directly choose to take antivirals and also notice improvement. The best and most expensive antiviral is Valtrex and it is usually the one that gives the best results, some people have reported that with the generic antiviral it did not improve and with Valtrex it did. In the forum database you will find more information about JOH and antivirals.

There are also several statistical studies that conclude that 80-90% of Menieres improve over time even if nothing is done. Although it is horrible to be waiting for that to come, but it is better than thinking that it will get worse.

Stress, anxiety, and nerves are bad too. Learn to relax and rest, the first months you will not be able, but little by little. And finally, don't get obsessed with this disease looking for information non-stop, read this forum a little every day looking for things you can try, but slowly and without haste. My first months I became so obsessed that I only slept for 4 hours taking diazepam and I am sure that if I had been more relaxed instead of almost 3 months it took me to be better it would have been much less.

Finally, as I always say, this disease has no cure because while we have been healthy, none of us knew about it and we did not bother to help. Now that we know it and we know what is suffering, it is in our hands to collaborate and help, look for a Meniere foundation or association that supports researchers and ask how you can help, become a member or donate. They can also give you support and advice.

Cheer up.

3. Bardie22

Bardie22 New Member

Aug 30, 2020
    Hi

Thanks for replying.

I take 16mg of betahistine 3 times per day. Have been taking it since April/May time.

Fortunately I don't drink or smoke but do like coffee. Some of the things that people mention are not available in the UK or would cost too much money to get sent here for me to be able to afford.

Vinpocetine looks interesting but am not sure how I get that in UK or if GP would prescribe.

I shall look into anti fungal some more, not something that I have thought about before.

Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  4. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Bardie I am sorry to hear you are suffering.
    Meniere’s attacks do not last longer than 24h. You mentioned a 3 day attack.
    Maybe you should consider a chiropractor? Years ago my dad suffered from constant dizziness, he was even hospitalised. Nothing helped, no sensible diagnosis was given. After a visit at a chiropractor’s he was like new. It was 30 years ago and he hasn’t had dizziness since. Just a thought.
    Best of luck

5. twodogs

twodogs Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Hello Bardie. Full vertigo attacks last a few hours for me. Yuck. But I have symptoms every day to varying degrees.

6. Irishstu

Irishstu Member

Apr 28, 2019
    Hi Bardie. Vinpocetine can be bought online at most vitamin/herb sites.

7. Bardie22

Bardie22 New Member

Aug 30, 2020
    I've spoken to a herbalist who is going to sort out a tonic for me. I have an MRI booked for next week, neck will also be getting scanned. I'm hoping to be able to get back to the osteopath soon.

My main issue at the moment is the high pitch and pressure in my left ear and feeling off balance when I walk anywhere.

I also don't know when I am going to get an attack, how do people know when an attack is imminent?