1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Meniere's, Dental work...Drilling - Any effect on anyone?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Chris, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Chris

Chris Member

Mar 20, 2016
    I need a couple of fillings taken out and new ones put in. I delayed the procedure about a month ago because I wasn't feel quite right that day. Explained to the dentist about Meniere's. He understood. That evening, a vertigo attack. Now for the last couple of days, I've had a toothache and scared to go to the dentist. I'm afraid the drilling to get the old filling out (which, without Meniere's is bad enough with all the vibrations), will bring on an attack. Does anyone have any words of wisdom (no pun intended regarding the wisdom teeth!). Or, any suggestions? I am prone to head pressures, dizziness and close calls with vertigo attacks sometimes with the least bit of head movement, low tones, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    If you have a benzo such as Valium, Ativan, Xanax, so,etching like that thanked it 1/2 hour before you go.
    Either wear wax earplugs, (like the ones you buy for children's ears while swimming,) they work great.
    Wear a set of ear buds with soft music and concentrate on that. I even have a sleep mask that I use, lol, I've had the same dentist for years.
    Lots of Novacaine.
    Happy gas. That's usually pretty good after an anti-anxiety med.
    That's the way I'd go.

Nothing to be done about the drilling.

? A portable head thingy that's shaped like a horseshoe to keep your head cradled. I'm going to try that next time.

There are also dentists that sedate you for all procedures but they aren't covered in my plan.

3. Chris

Chris Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Thank You Bumblebea. I had thought about something like Valium or Xanax. Although, I really hate to take them. I'll have to check on wax earplugs, never heard of them. Are you talking about the horseshoe pillow that some use on airlines? Good idea. Happy gas... haven't had that since I was a kid. I wonder... if you are sedated, can the vibrations still bring on a vertigo attack?

4. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I had major dental work including implants on the side with cochlear hydrops and to my surprise, no effect whatsoever. I dont know if this is true for everyone.

5. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    Can the vibrations initiate vertigo? I really don't know the answer to that though I've never had that problem.
    Yes, those pillows.
    The wax ear plugs are sold at pharmacies. People usually use them for children to avoid swimmers ear. It's soft wax and you can tailor it to your ear.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

6. imback

imback Member

Aug 8, 2014
    I can only speak for myself but dental work including vibrating drills makes me.dizzy. it doesn't cause me to have vertigo. I think making my inner ear vibrate can't be good considering how screwed up the signals it sends now are.

7. yanksgirl

yanksgirl Member

May 12, 2014
    Bumble Bea,

Question--since I'm a senior citizen--I'm wondering about the earbuds you mentioned. Where do you buy those--at a place like Wal-mart or only a places like Best Buy, etc.? And do they come with a 'station' to tune to soft music or does music have to be programmed in to it? I was thinking about getting some for the tinnitus that comes and goes in intensity. Thanks

8. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    Hey Yanks. I don't know the answer to the that but I was talking about ones that cover your whole ear. You know like they used to make before everything had to be smaller.
    I'd make some phone calls. Call Walmart first as I imagine they'd be the cheapest both in quality and cost.
    Hub said you can get one IPODS? But you have to have like a device to program music.
    But sometimes the ones that fit in your ear because the sound is delivered better.
    Sometimes not.
    Maybe so,emplacement that deals with electronics can have something to try before purchasing.

9. Chris

Chris Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Thank You for all the thoughts and ideas. Lots of good suggestions. The tooth pain isn't bad anymore, but I know I have to get it taken care of. I'm going to have to bite the bullet (maybe take one with me so I can), and see the dentist. Thanks again.

10. Chris

Chris Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Update... finally went to the dentist for the tooth pain. Bad news...a root canal is needed. He thinks he can drill through existing cap. He is going to do the root canal on one tooth and the next one to it needs the cap drilled off and a new one put on because of a cavity. Discussed sedation. He said if the drilling and procedure didn't bring on a vertigo attack, the sedation (waking up and being sick) would. For the anxiety, he prescribed a Xanax to take the night before the appointment, and a Valium to take 20 minutes before the appointment. Then of course, he will give me antibiotics afterward. Appointment is Wednesday. Wish me luck!

11. Joney

Joney Active Member

Apr 12, 2019
    Chris - I don’t know if you’re still on here or not, but curious as to how your root canal went. I realize this was four years ago, however I just had a dental procedure done this week. Two crowns last week and then one crown this week. I really didn’t have any issues with the first procedure, but the night of the second procedure, I had major spins. I saw my neurologist yesterday and he said he suspected the drilling, chemicals used and how I was seated/laying that contributed to the dizziness.

12. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Both you and Chris (if he shows up one day) can tell the rest of us if after recovering from your dental problems, especially infections, you have noticed improvement in your Meniere. I have already read several cases that claim to have improved a lot after detecting and fixing dental problems. But just two or three people stating this is not enough to draw conclusions.