1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Drop attack

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Ledwards, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Ledwards

Ledwards Member

Jun 7, 2020
    Holy hell. Had my first drop attack. That was scary. Is this normal to happen a lot after it first happens??

2. Dario

Dario Member

Apr 30, 2019
    Melbourne
    I've never had one and am frightened to death of them. How long have you had this bastard disease for or how long since diagnosis?

3. Ledwards

Ledwards Member

Jun 7, 2020
    I’ve had it for a long time, since I was At least in college (43 now) I remember getting vertigo attacks where my eyes move and i throw up all day. It normally happens 2-3 times a year actually getting less sever, but this year after it happened in May it hasn’t totally gone away, like residual effects are still there and they won’t leave. I’m wondering if it was from a new supplement I took today. I’m taking b100 and magnesium from Bennyhill advice. And I’ve kept with the lysine. I was going to take the lysine late after I could feel some dizziness and before I made it to the bathroom I was thrown down out of nowhere. I’m hoping it’s from the other supplements I had this morning? Hope that’s possible.

4. Dario

Dario Member

Apr 30, 2019
    Melbourne
    I am so sorry to hear. Sounds awful and so scary!

5. Ledwards

Ledwards Member

Jun 7, 2020
    I have been seeing if I could take 2 lysine so maybe I just need to keep 3 daily. Thanks for your kind words.

6. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Each Meniere is unique, there are people who have vertigo attacks every week and other people one every many years. Sometimes you go years without attacks and suddenly you have a year or two with vertigo every month, etc. The only thing that is statistically known is that more than 80% of Menieres improve over time even without treatment.

I do not think that the supplements you have taken have caused this attack because neither vitamin B nor magnesium are dangerous, unless you have taken excessively high doses and that is almost impossible.

Regarding lysine, it can make your symptoms worse, but that's around the sixth week. If this happens it is apparently good news, it means that you are damaging the virus and he is defending himself, continue taking lysine and he will improve soon.

7. Ledwards

Ledwards Member

Jun 7, 2020
    Oh I meant other supplements other than lysine and the b vitamins. I took a ‘BreastGard’ supplement that has different things in it. I did read that one of the supplements in it could cause dizziness. So I’m really hoping that’s it and won’t be taking those again tomorrow.

8. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    I do not know about this supplement, but the best way to be sure is to stop and when you recover, take it again to verify that it actually hurts you and it has not been a coincidence. In Meniere any improvement or worsening must be checked several times to make sure that the disease itself has not been attacking randomly.

9. Ledwards

Ledwards Member

Jun 7, 2020
    It’s for like cancer prevention health. Nothing to do with dizziness. So I can just not take it.

10. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Ledwards, I concur with all above. Specific to the drop attack, I have had Menieres for 31 years and have had only one drop attack and that was 12 years ago. Not saying that you will only have one but I believe I am not an outlier in only having one.

Best of luck.

11. Biffer

Biffer Member

Aug 6, 2020
    Did you have any warning? had symptoms been bad lately?

12. Ledwards

Ledwards Member

Jun 7, 2020
    Yeah I did feel a little dizzy right before it just sitting there, then I got up and actually still felt it so I rested on the counter and then walked into my living room and it happened. I felt another like it just yesterday but it was a little different in that it like threw my head to the side but I was able to hold on to the door handle (I was in a truck) (not driving) so I didn’t go over. But had I been walking, I don’t know. But when it happened last week, there was no way I would’ve been able to grab at anything like I did in the truck. I had no time. And it didn’t like “throw” my brain how it did or else it was just less severe. Trying to keep up with my vestibular exercises and I’m getting a referral for a neuro. My ent doesn’t think it’s Ménière based on my mri, thinks the balance it mostly the same in both ears.

13. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Welcome to the forum, Ledwards.

Magnifique.

As a matter of interest, is it possible to clarify the above statement?

Vis-à-vis a) what it was your MRI results contained which lead your otolaryngologist to suppose as much, &/or b) the reasoning behind said supposition in relation to, or as based on equal levels of bilateral vestibular function?

14. Ledwards

Ledwards Member

Jun 7, 2020
    I think he wants to rule out a neurological process before it is really menieres. He’s not quite saying it’s NOT, but that since it’s rare (although I have lots of the symptoms) it may not be it. I’m thinking vestibular migraine a little more now since there was some hyperintensities that the radiologist noted, they also noted possible SSCD, which is essentially a hole in your ear that didn’t fully grow. This is possible for me also as I have always been deaf in the left ear and think it’s congenital. While a symptom of SSCD is hearing “things inside you like your eyes moving” it also had some of my symptoms. AND starts to show up in your 40’s. I wonder if I would not know that I’m hearing internally because I’m deaf in the left ear? Idk. Hoping the neuro can get me in soon. Or maybe I do have menieres and what I have been dealing with the past 4 months is something different!

QUOTE="Nathan, post: 86027, member: 7"]Welcome to the forum, Ledwards.

Magnifique.

As a matter of interest, is it possible to clarify the above statement?

Vis-à-vis a) what it was your MRI results contained which lead your otolaryngologist to suppose as much, &/or b) the reasoning behind said supposition in relation to, or as based on equal levels of bilateral vestibular function?[/QUOTE]

15. Paris 48

Paris 48 New Member

Sep 4, 2015
    Not everybody with MM gets drop attacks.I think those of us who are bilateral are more prone to it.Yep.they are scary and also very dangerous.In my case I had gotten careless with my salt intake and that may have contributed to it.

16. Le Le

Le Le New Member

Oct 19, 2020
    Louisiana
    I’ve been having drop attacks since January but I’ve had Meniere’s for over 20 years. Had a fistula repair 12 years ago with a shunt. I’ve been on a fluid pill for years. Not sure what set off the drop attacks but I’ve had about 30 in the last 6 months. I’m going to have a VNS done in 3 weeks. I hope and pray this helps because I’m a hairstylist and I’ve a actually fallen on the floor while cutting someone’s hair! Holy Hell is right!!! Ugh!

17. Ledwards

Ledwards Member

Jun 7, 2020
    Oh wow. Have you been driving? I haven’t been, but I haven’t had anymore thanks goodness. Supposed to see a neuro but of course they haven’t called yet. 30 is a lot in 6 months! I really hope this slows down for you. It’s very scary! Olive leaf extract has seemed to help me though.

18. Le Le

Le Le New Member

Oct 19, 2020
    Louisiana
    No I haven’t driven Since January. I actually had a drop attack at a red light when I stopped to look for cars coming to take a right and my head went down. Luckily it only lasted seconds and I was able to hold the break until I could pull my head back up then pulled to the side of the road and my husband had to come get me. I have friends and family bringing me places now. After that attack I was off for hours. It’s been terrible because I don’t know when they will hit me. The scariest though was when I was with a client like I said I’m a hairstylist and fell with the scissors in my hand. I’m really scared to work but I can’t stop working.

19. Kate Fellows

Kate Fellows New Member

Dec 17, 2018
    I had my first drop attack 2 weeks ago. It least I was told it was a drop attack...I was driving and it felt as though me and my car were being flipped over like a pancake. This happened 5 times in about 2 hours. I was sitting each time. I was told it was a cluster of drop attacks. But my head did not drop. I have been paranoid ever since.

20. Weeba

Weeba Member

Jun 19, 2020
    I have had MD for over 30 years. Last July fell while walking my dogs and got a compression fracture in my back. Lucky my niece was with me. Still have pain in my back. Yesterday I had a drop attack while sitting in my recliner. Felt like chair was flipping up side down. If I had been standing I most assuredly would have crashed to the ground. I never get a warning when attacks will occur. I worry and think about when and where the next attack will happen. I have MD in both ears. Gave up driving after the attack in July. I am 77 years old and have pretty good hearing with my aids. Neuro said it is a progression of MD. As much as I hated the dizzy spells and vertigo I would much rather have the dizzy spells and vertigo over these drop attacks.