1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Why is it back 4 years later?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Sherrye Steffens, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Sherrye Steffens

Sherrye Steffens New Member

Sep 22, 2020
    Hello, I was first diagnosed with Ménière’s back in 2016. I had several bad spells, with the first one landing me in the ER. I had several vertigo spells off and off for several months then it gradually went away. For some unknown reason it is back with a vengeance and I do not know why. I am having 2-3 serious dizzy spells a day so strong I have to take my Meclizine immediately and lay down for over an hour. I am seeing my ENT doctor on Thursday, but I just want to learn why in the world would this return? I only have fullness and slight discomfort in my left ear and I also have Tinnitus but no hearing loss.

2. Dario

Dario Member

Apr 30, 2019
    Melbourne
    Terrible news to hear. Do you take betahistine by any chance AKA Serc?

3. Ledwards

Ledwards Member

Jun 7, 2020
    I swear it’s something with 2020 and corona sometimes.

4. Dario

Dario Member

Apr 30, 2019
    Melbourne
    Stress and anxiety will do that to you - undoubtedly!

5. Dario

Dario Member

Apr 30, 2019
    Melbourne

Terrible news to hear. Do you take betahistine by any chance AKA Serc?

6. Sherrye Steffens

Sep 22, 2020
    No I do not

7. Sherrye Steffens

Sep 22, 2020
    No I do not

8. Sherrye Steffens

Sep 22, 2020
    2020 has been a doozy!

9. Dario

Dario Member

Apr 30, 2019
    Melbourne
    Any chance you can give it a go?

10. Sherrye Steffens

Sep 22, 2020
    I will check it out with my PCP, thanks

11. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Vertigo may have returned due to a slump in your immune system's strength, or an uptick in that which places, or is placing load on your immune system.

On an interesting & exceptionally distant side note, the above speculates how, rather than why. Why personifies & presumes intention; that something intended, or intends to return, or something intended or intends to induce vertigo & suffering, how however does not.

Consider by analogy 'how does the rain fall' verses 'why does the rain fall'.

12. twodogs

twodogs Member

Jul 26, 2018
    It "came back" because that is its nature. That is how it works. I neverknow when I will be ambushed so I live as best I can despite daily episodes to varying degrees.

13. Weeba

Weeba Member

Jun 19, 2020
    I know the feeling. I went on a three year period with no symptoms and thought I was over it. No such luck. Over the past 30 years I have had periods of remission and life was grand. Then for no reason it comes back. This bout I am having has lasted the longest and it is depressing to say the least.

14. Ledwards

Ledwards Member

Jun 7, 2020
    Exactly. I’ve been having it last way longer with different things to it now. Usually it goes away in a week maybe 2 times a year. Maybe 3. Very frustrating.

15. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    There is no cure for Meniere's disease. Once you have it, you're always going to have it. You may be able to control it with AV's, other meds, vitamins, supplements, but it's not going away. It sometimes goes into remission and then the symptoms appear again, sometimes years later.

16. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    If you're not already doing it, you may want to start a Menieres journal. Try to be as specific as possible on diet, stresses, medications, allergies, etc. I don't think it is easy but it may reveal that the disease is not as random as many of us think it is.

Best of health to you!

17. Sheri from Houston

Sheri from Houston New Member

Sep 17, 2020
    Yes, just as Sherrye suggested, start a journal. That is the 1st thing doctors will tell you is to identify the trigger(s). If you manage your triggers, you can manage the disease better. Triggers can change over time. :( You probably can't do too much about the stress of 2020, so concentrate on your diet, medications or lack of vitamins. Make sure you are getting sleep and do things that give you peace. Be selfish with the things that give you a sense of calm.

18. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Yep - I am in the same boat. I thought I was done with it - 5 years or so Meniere's free. I am a believer that it is lurking herpes virus in the inner ear. As we all know, 2020 has been stressful and I also changed my diet and was eating a lot of nuts and wife was baking with almond flour etc. All that is high in Arginine and viruses love arginine. A combination of things, and here we are, back on the forum LOL!

19. Dnrpn

Dnrpn Member

May 11, 2019
    Canada
    How long do your bouts last?

20. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    I've only had two bad ones this time as well as several scary days, however, I'm feeling much better for the last week. I think it is on the run. Lysine, Olive Leaf, Vit C, Benny's B vits, colostrum, no nuts, no foods on the do not eat list. I am currently feeling fine.

Both my vertigo episodes occurred at the same golf course. The first time I played one hole, sort of, and neighbor had to come and get me with wife. Second time I couldn't walk from the parking lot. I'm going back there in two days for try number three! Wish me luck! :)