1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Flying - no problem

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Donamo, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    I flew from Montreal to Washington and then to Orlando yesterday. My ear had been quite full with hearing pretty bad for the last few days before I left so I was a bit worried.

It all went fine! My bad ear was doing a lot of popping etc, way more than my good ear but balance was fine. When I got to our destination, I think my ear was actually better than when I left! What a weird disease.

As an aside, I was in 3 airports and 2 planes. Everyone was wearing in a mask and being very careful and conscientious of others. I was impressed. On our way home, I drove by an Applebees and the parking lot was full :(. I think our 14 hour travelling day was safer then those people who chose to eat inside at a restaurant.

2. Justme77

Justme77 New Member

Feb 8, 2020
    A friend of mine knew someone who had MD and she flew on a trip. She swears it cured her. Her symptoms completely cleared up. I can't verify it but that's what I was told. There may be something to it, considering it has to do with fluid in the ears and the pressure of going up in a plane. It's feasible and worth looking into.

3. PleaseNoDizzy

PleaseNoDizzy Active Member

May 12, 2014
    During the 7 years I was really down with Meniere's, I did quite a bit of airplane travel. Although I was always nervous about it, I almost ALWAYS felt a lot better when up in the air. It didn't last long after landing, and my less strict sodium diet when traveling often got me down, but I'd do much better than baseline doing the actual airplane part. I think the hum of the engines was the perfect pitch to drown out my tinnitus and add in maybe some good effect of the pressure change/stabilization.