1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Aggressive Tinnitus Upon Waking

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Gina Manchego, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Gina Manchego

Gina Manchego New Member

Jul 1, 2020
    Has anyone experienced aggressive tinnitus spikes when first waking up? For the past 4 mornings I’ve awoke and start hearing the most loud, aggressive tinnitus I’ve ever managed. It builds in frequency for about an hour. Sometimes it’s multi-tonal. After about 70mins. It becomes the usual tinnitus I hear. It also changes intensity and pitch when I stimulate behind my ear and the back of my head. In all my years dealing with tinnitus I’ve NEVER experienced it so loudly. It’s like a siren is shaking my head. Does anyone out there know this phenomenon personally? Another symptom of late stage Ménière’s? Please advise and thanks.

2. hurricaneone

hurricaneone Member

May 20, 2014
    Sleep apnea and or teeth grinding could cause this . Go to a good dentist.

3. Gina Manchego

Gina Manchego New Member

Jul 1, 2020
    I do have sleep apnea-a new dentist may be necessary. I’ve noticed my tinnitus is worse when I bite down. Thanks

4. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    I have had this happen, but at random times, not just subsequent to waking.

5. Jimii

Jimii Member

Apr 10, 2019
    One thing I am starting to notice is my Meniere's keeps changing. I have heard some of the strangest things from my right ear. From pure digital tones out of a sci-fi movie, to roaring staticy sirens at times.

Jim

6. Thomas Nash

Thomas Nash New Member

Sep 19, 2020
    I have the same problem. I was recently “diagnosed” with Menieres, the initial attack happened June 2020 with a weekly severe attack. Since I started working out again things became manageable to an extent, however the attacks come out of nowhere. I am still learning to deal with this, I injured my right ear during an explosion that affect that ear about 2017. I lost about 70 percent of my hearing in all hearing levels. I have had tinnitus since the explosion only in my right ear with it being in different levels, from something that was like out of sci-fi movie to an ultra high frequency that made my ears tear up. Recently the attacks moved from as soon as I woke up to now coming at about 8-9 at night.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Gina Manchego

Gina Manchego New Member

Jul 1, 2020
    Since dealing with this for 5 months I’ve noticed the same thing. My Ménière’s symptoms are always changing so it’s impossible to find a pattern to them. My tinnitus had all but disappeared to what was a low “busy phone signal” but last night had two vertigo attacks 3 hours apart and now my tinnitus is blaring static with a beeeeeeppppppp in the middle of the static. It’s exhausting.

8. tmcmahon2

tmcmahon2 Member

May 9, 2015
    It changes all the time though when I wake up some days It think the tinnitus is louder. Maybe because I just became conscious so hard to tell if it's louder than normal. You wake up and, "What the heck is this?"

9. Gina Manchego

Gina Manchego New Member

Jul 1, 2020
    The tinnitus I was experiencing was like a blaring in my ear. Like a siren. This happened for a straight week then I was diagnosed with Ramsay Hunt Syndrome which aggravated my Ménière’s. I’ve been violently dizzy ever since-and it’s a different kind of dizzy than before. Before it was aggravated by head position-now it’s like any position causes summersault feeling. It’s hard to retract too and land me in the ER every time because it last 8-24 hours with intense vomiting. So hard on my body and spirit.