1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Excersise intolerance

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by sivy28, Nov 8, 2020.

1. sivy28

sivy28 New Member

Oct 27, 2020
    Hi everyone just a quick question on if anyone has noticed changes in the way excersise effects you
    I've always been active martial arts, cycling, running, weights etc I know I'm getting older and your body changes but since having symptoms of menieres when I look back over the last 3 year's I've noticed a gradual decline in my excersise tolerance, I notice either the next day or 2 day's after excersise I'm whacked out, really fatigued almost as if coming down with a virus type feeling, I persist with exercise as I know it's important but it is tough and my strength and endurance is definitely less.
    Is this part of the disease or should I be looking elsewhere
    Sivy28

2. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Physical exhaustion can be a symptom. Another is brain fog. Your brain is working hard to try to compensate for the neurological issues that are MD. I have been at this over 4 years now, others here have been at it much longer. MD will change your life. We just can't let it win the battle and destroy us. Get up every day and fight the fight. Seek answers. Try new solutions. Cry when you fail. Celebrate when you win. Mine progressed rapidly from the time the vertigo attacks started occurring regularly. In 6-8 months, I lost most the hearing in one ear. For now, it's stable and treatment for MAV has eliminated my vertigo and daily dizzy.

3. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    I believe there will be times when your body will be exhausted from attacks of menieres. I think it is very important to keep exercising but at the same time get the rest you will need to continue your daily routines. Times when you are burnt out take a step back and instead of running 5 miles try walking 3 miles. You can still exercise you just need to slow it down a bit. Good luck.

4. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Before MD I played golf about 3 times a week. Even though I still play 3 times a week I have to push myself out the door to do it but it's still better than sitting home listening to the BS in my brain - or what's left of it. I am exhausted after I play and it takes me a full day to recover.

• Like Like x 1
  5. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    I am sedentary, but after my vertigo attack I started to walk whenever I could during the first months, then I started jogging until I reached 25 minutes, when I couldn't leave the house due to bad weather I did 3x10 squats and 3x10 push-ups.

When I exercise or exert myself, sometimes I do notice that my head "wants to go away", but it has never prevented me from doing my exercise and usually when I finished exercising my dizziness would lessen until it stopped for a few hours. So in the end I started going for a walk or jogging whenever I felt dizzy to relieve myself.

Of course, it took almost two months to be able to walk, I would not exercise until the dizziness lost strength.

6. sivy28

sivy28 New Member

Oct 27, 2020
    thanks for the encouraging replies guys, its hard to believe sometimes that an ear problem can cause all these symptoms and make life feel a mess. I will be starting some of the regimes others have tried this week JOH etc
    hoping for improvement in the daily dizzyness and tinnitus and visual symptoms. Ive got used to the fatigue and try to work around it but it is challenging, i work full time in the NHS and last to big attacks have been at work whilst with patients, very embarrassing. No big attacks since starting serc but not sure if its drug working or just a pause but ill continue on it for a while. Glad this forums here though

regards
    sivy28

7. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Hey, let's get together for a round of MD golf! I had to be driven home twice this past summer, played 1 hole the first time and zero the next! LOL

8. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    I play golf count me in :)

9. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    OK! Sounds good. I played in 25 MPH winds this morning. Didn't help my game at all! Anyone on the east coast of FL?

(actually, nothing helps my game :()

10. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    I am on the east coast and wind has been crazy all week. I will admit I am not a fan of playing golf in the wind! Wind affects my balance!

11. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Yes, this wind is brutal, day after day after day. It is actually better golfing weather in Ontario right now!

12. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Same in NH it was in the 70s all weekend.

13. Rubygirl

Rubygirl Member

Oct 4, 2020
    I exercise at least an hour a day, 6 days a week and have been doing so most of my adult life (as a former obese teen I have been compulsive about doing the cardio to keep the weight off). I haven't noticed too much change in what I do there. But I am early stage (my first vertigo attack was 1 year ago). Though on my "good days" this year I have wanted to see what I could do and pushed myself to run 10K/6mi a few times and did a 75K/45 mi bike ride in September (before the weather turned). But yeah, I have noticed that I was pretty sleepy the next day and figured that it was due to these not being the usual regimen.

I figure our bodies are dealing with a LOT right now and there is only so much it can do. We have to be kind and forgiving to ourselves. Just do what you can (when you can), especially do what you love and the rest shall come....

14. sivy28

sivy28 New Member

Oct 27, 2020
    That's good news I wish I could hit those milages, that's the thing I run just 2 miles twice a week, cycle 17 miles, and hit train twice, but can't seem to progress as if I try to do more the fatigue is unbearable, takes a while to recover which makes me wonder if it's part of the symptoms or something else is wrong
    Nigel

15. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Supplements can help with fatigue. Many vitamins help to have more energy, take magnesium too and I think iron too.

I noticed the most energy when I started taking iron (14mg / day) and magnesium of various types (500mg when returning from exercise or walking and 500mg before sleeping).

Magnesium participates in many biological processes and is also indicated to alleviate the frequency of dizziness and vertigo, I also believe that it helps regulate insulin in the blood, etc. Too much magnesium can cause diarrhea, if this happens take only 500mg a day.

There are other supplements that can help you have more energy, Mindosa has been talking about several of them these days and I think he talked about one that helped activate and increase the number of cellular mitochondria (those responsible for producing energy).

16. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    On the other hand, fatigue is not caused by Meniere directly, it is not the disease itself tiring you. I think it is the brain adapting to the new situation and to the different information it receives from both inner ears.

The brain is the organ of the body that consumes the most energy, receiving strange or complex signals and stimuli causes it to consume much more energy. That is why it is advisable to sleep and rest well when you have Meniere.

17. sivy28

sivy28 New Member

Oct 27, 2020
    Thanks Ivan that's reassuring, having a hard time since the last 2 big attacks, I'm having daily symptoms of giddiness really loud tinnitus and generally feeling shite, I guess you're right about the brain tiring now I'm trying to find triggers I do notice alot of my symptoms are being generated by my vision, seems really sensitive to motion, lightning etc I can see this having an effect on tiring the brain.
    Sivy28

18. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Patience, I was really worse than in hell for four months (severe daily dizziness, hyperacusis, anxiety that would not let me sleep more than 4 hours, severe headaches, fatigue, etc).

My only advice now that I have improved and lived through all that is to try to be as relaxed as possible and be patient. Rest a lot, eat well and not force myself to do things, I started walking for 5 minutes only, every week I went up slowly.

Visual symptoms can be the cause, but they can also be the consequence of vertigo attacks. It bothered me to watch TV, mobile, etc. but little by little it stopped.

I had to do my final University Project between March and June (my attack was in February) and I was unable to work normally, but what I did was read and when I got dizzy I would lie down to rest or sleep, when I used to read again and so on again. It was a bit absurd, but my work is based on readings of only 10 minutes and breaks of one or several hours.

19. sivy28

sivy28 New Member

Oct 27, 2020
    thanks ivan seems we have similar symptoms but yours are more agressive, I have trouble with my phone , hyperacusis, watching tv, PC etc daily light-headedness balance issues , headaches, tinnitus and I guess anxiety as i have some really dark moments trying to deal with the general feelings of this disease , ive almost forgotten what normal feels like. It is reassuring though that im not alone otherwise i would think i was going mad . Ive planned to take one day at a time and keep pursuing success with treatments but must admit its very up and down. thanks again for your input
    sivy28

20. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Be sure to incorporate back & posterior deltoid (back/rear shoulder) exercises into your routine.

By working your chest, anterior deltoid (front shoulder), & triceps—which is to say the 3 predominant muscles involved in push-ups—& not the muscles of the back & rear shoulders, you will, over time, develop an imbalance, & tight rounded shoulders.

Back exercises you can do at home include pull-ups (pull-up bands are cheap & found on amazon), Australian pull-ups/inverted rows, & barbell or dumbbell rows.

The correct technique of the above exercises can be found here, here, & here.