1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Covid-19 and Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Donamo, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Here is an excerpt from an article on Covid symptoms. Interesting comment regarding viruses as a cause of hearing loss, tinnitus etc.:

Unusual Coronavirus Symptoms: Diarrhea, COVID Toes (aarp.org)

Hearing loss
    Researchers are looking into a connection between COVID-19 and hearing loss. Several reports document patients who have experienced hearing problems that coincide with a COVID-19 diagnosis. Often these issues — which include tinnitus, or ringing in the ears — persist even after other symptoms of the illness subside.

The virus, SARS-CoV-2, has also been detected in the middle ear of COVID-19 patients, as reported in JAMA Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery. With several other viruses known to cause hearing loss, the study’s corresponding author, C. Matthew Stewart, said the findings raise some concerns.

“If there is an active viral infection in that part of the body, you could get the whole host of symptoms associated with other types of viral infections in that area,” including inflammation in the ear that could impair hearing or cause tinnitus, dizziness and imbalance, explains Stewart, M.D., associate professor of otolaryngology, head and neck surgery at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.

Experts caution there’s not enough evidence yet to draw a direct link between a SARS-CoV-2 infection and hearing problems. Other factors, such as medications used to treat COVID-19 — many of which are ototoxic, or toxic to the ear — could contribute to the complication.

“And that’s going to confound our understanding of the difference between hearing loss that's caused by a viral infection or hearing loss caused by the usage of an ototoxic medication that's given for therapeutic reasons,” Stewart says.

Being critically ill can also usher in hearing loss, researchers point out. And public health efforts, such as masks and physical distancing recommended to slow the spread of the virus, can reveal previously overlooked hearing issues.

Elias Michaelides, M.D., director of the cochlear implant program and medical director of audiology and otolaryngology at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, has seen a number of patients in recent months who say their hearing has worsened since the start of the pandemic.

“It turns out that their hearing hasn't changed,” but their ability to communicate with others has, he says. “When you're wearing a mask, it muffles your voice and sometimes can make it harder for other people to hear you,” Michaelides points out.

Masks also interfere with people’s ability to pick up on visual cues when another person speaks. “For most people, it's not much of an issue. But in elderly patients who may already have some hearing loss, this can sometimes push them to the point where they're having difficulty understanding speech,” he adds.

As researchers continue to study the short- and long-term effects of a SARS-CoV-2 infection, experts say the public can expect to see more hearing-specific studies surface. In the meantime, if you experience worsening or sudden hearing loss, contact your doctor right away. Early treatment can prevent permanent damage in some instances, Michaelides says. Your doctor may also recommend tools, such as hearing aids, to improve your quality of life.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    I find it very interesting that while most doctors scoff at the thought of a virus causing the symptoms of Meniere's that most of us are familiar with, this doctor states it as a simple fact. I find that to be pretty amazing! And it's not even in a conversation about Meniere's

3. Rubygirl

Rubygirl Member

Oct 4, 2020
    Very interesting! Thanks for sharing!

(And I sure pray none of us get COVID - we're all dealing with enough already!!!)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Autumninthefall

Autumninthefall Active Member

Aug 10, 2019
    Many viruses have the potential to attack any part of the body. I think what they should really contemplate is: “Does that part of the body have cells a virus could invade?” Obvious answer being yes: “Then I guess a virus could attack that part of the body.”

• Like Like x 1
  5. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    House had an article on their site about covid and hearing loss
    recently.

6. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    "Funny" thing is that in late August I had sudden hearing loss in my good ear. No other major issues. I went into the dr and they have me a course of steroids. I had mentioned/questioned if it could be related to covid and dr kind of laughed and said that there was no connection with covid and hearing loss. As I didn't have the typical symptoms I was not sent for testing.

7. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    i thought i saw something on the House Ear FB page about hearing loss and covid.