1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Update on Symptoms ... vestibular migraines??

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by crimsonfalcon08, Dec 1, 2020.

1. crimsonfalcon08

crimsonfalcon08 New Member

Nov 1, 2020
    Who here has been told that their issue is actually most likely vestibular migraines vs Meniere's and how did you definitively learn if that was true?

As an update from my previous thread, I was able to speak with a neurologist today, virtually. While he did acknowledge that a pineal cyst can cause Menieres-like symptoms (a good sign, since I've learned from others that a number of neurologists brush off this concern), he also believes mine is "too small" to be my issue. But the research I've done points to the fact that any pineal cyst over 0.5-1 cm CAN be symptomatic (that and my PCP, whom I highly trust, suggested the cyst could be my root cause as well). For reference, mine is 1.5 cm x 1.1 cm x 1.2 cm. He also thinks I don't have Meniere's and said he's pretty confident I have vestibular migraines instead.
    His reasoning for vestibular migraines vs Menieres:
    • I describe my dizziness as my head spinning, not as the room spinning
    • I do get bad headaches sometimes
    • Because apparently my MRI + the exam done by the neuro-otologist I saw last month show any strong indication of my root cause being from the inner ear.
    • He explained that my pattern of how I'm having them isn't indicative of Meniere's. He said that, with Meniere's, the attacks come on top of each other and then have longer breaks in-between than my attacks have been (I forget his exact wording) (this point confuses me, because I thought there was really no set pattern anyway?)
    I'm also coming off my worst attack to date. This past Saturday, I had constant spinning for 3 hours + nausea + multiple rounds of vomiting. :(
    As always, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. Beth Horton

Beth Horton New Member

Nov 18, 2018
    It’s how your eyes respond as to whether is a Meniere’s attack or migraine. I too had a bad one Friday night which I ended in emergency room to stop it. My eyes weren’t involuntary moving so the attack wasn’t coming from my inner ear but was an occipital migraine. I saw my Ménière’s surgeon on Monday. I need more meds besides Botox to prevent my migraine

3. Ledwards

Ledwards Member

Jun 7, 2020
    How do the eyes move for the difference. Mine almost always go back and forth during. I had episodes over weekend also. And where do you see a menieres surgeon at??

and crimson falcon,
    I’m not sure about the difference between the room spinning and your head spinning. I would think your head spinning makes it seem like the room is spinning. At any rate,I always feel like my head is spinning I guess.

4. Beth Horton

Beth Horton New Member

Nov 18, 2018
    They go back and forth, if its a Meniere's attack.

5. Ledwards

Ledwards Member

Jun 7, 2020
    And for migraine?

6. Beth Horton

Beth Horton New Member

Nov 18, 2018
    They don't move

7. Beth Horton

Beth Horton New Member

Nov 18, 2018
    My conversation with my surgeon two days ago was very enlightening. I take a water pill and Venoflaxine to help prevent my spins. I take botox injections every three months to prevent my migraines with Relpax for a bad one in between and a combination of Tylenol, Ibuprofen and Phenergan if not so bad that I need the Relax. BUT now I need something to bridge the gap. This occipital nerve migraine will act just like a Meniere's attack and give you the spins and sensitivity to noise and eye pain. Now I am going to start Emgality shots to help bridge that gap but I am scared as I have so many reactions to foods and medicine now.

8. Beth Horton

Beth Horton New Member

Nov 18, 2018
    My options are getting quite limited as to what they can do for me as I had my balance severed on the left side to help with the spinning already. Can't take the right or I could not stand.

9. Raider Nation

Raider Nation New Member

Aug 2, 2019
    I have been diagnosed with both. The ENT has given me betahistine. My migraine doc has me on several vitamins, amitriptyline, timolol eye drops and I use cefaly device every night