1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Phenylbutyrate Increases Potency of Acyclovir Against Herpes Viruses

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by John of Ohio, Dec 7, 2020.

1. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    A new paper, research report, indicates that phenylbutyrate, an existing drug, when administered along with acyclovir, potentiates, strengthens that antiherpetic drug's ability to suppress the pathogenic activities of herpes virus infections --- therefore of strong consideration when acyclovir is used to treat Meniere's disease caused by a herpes infection of the inner ear.

The report indicates that acyclovir dosages can be reduced, while still maintaining strong antiherpetic outcomes.

The report is here:
    Drug for rare disorder shows promise for treating herpes viruses | UIC Today

Let's see if any of the few medical practices that prescribe acyclovir as a first-line treatment for Meniere's might investigate and eventually use this new, enhanced approach.

--John of Ohio

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    John, why do we need this? You were more than clear in another thread, that if MD cause is a viral, it should be enough to take JOH regime.

3. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    ..and this excerpt from this research report even potentiates my question:

Acyclovir can have very toxic effects on the kidneys, especially when it is given in higher doses. Long-term use often results in resistance to the drug as well as kidney damage.

4. John of Ohio

May 17, 2014
    Well, virtually every drug sold, over the counter or by prescription, has toxicities at "higher doses." Not a difficult problem to solve. Take those drugs at recommended, prescribed, proven, safe dosages.

And, "Why do we need this?" I don't know the "we" being referring to. Presently, Meniere's sufferers being treated with either antiherpetic drugs, or with lysine, don't "need" phenylbutyrate. For lysine therapy, is almost surely will provide no advantages. But for acyclovir, as the report shows, it increases that drug's efficacy against herpes virus infections, at even lower doses.

For now, few physicians are going to be prescribing both acyclovir and phenylbutyrate to treat Meniere's. But, in the future, based upon the report's findings, clinical trials using both drugs together could be conducted.

--John of Ohio

5. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    OK, but for me is still not clear, why do we (MD sufferers) need AVs if there is a JOH regime?

6. John of Ohio

May 17, 2014
    The absolute answer to the "need" question, regarding the efficacies of antiherpetic treatment (with acyclovir, et al.) compared to my particular treatment regimen (utilizing various over the counter substances) would require the conduct of a long, large, expensive clinical trial, with sufficient numbers of participants so as to generate an acceptable p value. That would probably be a trial, over a number of years, where at least a hundred Meniere's patients would be treated with antiherpetics, compared to another arm of the study where an equivalent number would be treated with lysine and the other recommended substances listed in my regimen.

If it were a really valuable, applicable study, additional arms would include patients receiving conventional Meniere's treatments. A hundred or so would be treated with the LSD therapy, low-salt and diuretic. Other arms would provide outcomes data on injected drugs, such as gentamicin. Finally, in a complete study of all that has been used to treat Meniere's disease would be other, additional clinical study arms assessing the successes of the various surgical approaches.

Such a study would cost millions of dollars, and take a number of years, coordinated among a multitude of hospitals and clinics.

Of course, it won't happen. First, conventional medical practice, understandably, is repelled by new, off the street therapies using over the counter substances, contrived by non-medical parties (such as me). No reason to conduct clinical trials with any of those. On the face of it, they can't work; or are simply unworthy of clinical trial validation or negation.

Secondly, the dollars spent on antiherpetics for the treatment of Meniere's disease, a relatively rare or uncommon one, doesn't justify any pharmaceutical company making such drugs spending millions of dollars for this narrow, peculiar application.

Therefore, each person with Meniere's must make his or her own, informed decisions on how to deal with, treat the disease. For me (and probably several hundred others with Meniere's), my lysine-based treatment regimen has been equal to, or superior to conventional medical approaches. The amino acid lysine is known to disrupt or complicate herpes virus replication, thereby effectively suppressing herpes virus pathologies, which, in most cases, includes Meniere's disease. Dr Gacek has had great success with antiherpetic drugs, which, likewise suppress herpes virus activities.

From my standpoint (and experience) I would (and did) personally elect to treat my Meniere's with my lysine-base regimen. I never used any of the antiherpetic drugs. Had no need. So, for me, there is no need for those drugs to be used against Meniere's. Nonetheless, they are valuable, and in the same way as lysine, do suppress herpes virus activities in the inner ear. Just because my regimen works, doesn't necessarily therefore negate or disqualify antiherpetics.

Lastly, no Meniere's therapy, except for complete surgical removal of the inner ear, provides universal efficacies. The data I have from 280 users of my regimen reveal about an 88% treatment success rate. But, clearly, the regimen can't work for everyone. Clinical data from those using antiherpetic drugs, likewise, fail to reveal 100% success. Herpes viruses are not the only cause of Meniere's symptoms. Therefore, for that minority of sufferers, neither antiherpetic drugs or my regimen can provide relief. People with Meniere's disease have to be open and receptive to new or additional therapies, after the ones they've tried have failed. They must keep looking for and trying new therapies. I know of no other source of such valuable information than on this website, itself.

--John Ohio

• Like Like x 1
  7. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Will it also work with famciclovir and valciclovir? I guess we will have to wait for future trials.

8. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    John, I think the answer to my question - why do we (MD sufferers) need AVs if there is a JOH regime? - was in your another post:

"Is that equal to, or better than prescription antiherpetics? By comparison with the published Gacek study, my regimen was markedly superior. I've not found any study of any other Meniere's treatment therapy or protocol that approaches what users of my regimen have reported."

I prefer this one, a shorter and simple answer. People usually get confused when reading long and complicated answers, unless this was a goal.

I didn't ask you to "negate or disqualify antiherpetics", I was asking why we need AVs, when the JOH regime is working in 88.2% MD cases and has no side effects like AVs mentioned above.

9. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Mindosa, what is a polite word for Sh_tDisturber LOL?

10. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    I'm pretty sure Dr. Gacek Sr. used to prescribe Valciclovir and House Ear Clinic prescribed Famciclovir. Personally I think they are all equivalent.

11. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Donald Trump?:)

12. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Are you related? :D

13. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Don't think so:p

14. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Well, that's good! Because as you know, he got kicked out :( :D
    You may have "Lockdown fever" ;) or as June said, a little bored. Anyway, nice teasing with you :)

15. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Never tease an old dog, he might have one bite left:D

16. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Good advice, I will keep that in mind(osa) ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020