1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

How do you know if the gentamicin has worked?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by AnneT, May 16, 2019.

1. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Hey, Anne!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Saera

Saera Active Member

Jul 5, 2019
    Anne! I have been off of the forum for so long because I couldn't get logged in. Gah! I'm so happy to hear your updates and have thought of you often, and all the group. I am glad you are getting in tomorrow it seems for your third injection.
    I was doing pretty great up until I came down with covid. I had minor head movements that would give me a whoosh here and there and still some days with pressure. But not a lot. Since getting COVID in November, that included a lot of sinus pressure and loss of taste and smell, plus my ear tube came out shortly before, I have had frequent bouts of whoosh and 'oh shit' moments.
    One day in the thick of COVID I was so weak and dizzy I had to go to ER. It wasn't vertigo as I knew it before though, it was just really off balance and weak, and I haven't quite recovered from that.
    So, I asked for my ear tube to be placed again and the possibility of more gentamicin. Before my Dr. Huang will do anything she is making me do a hearing test and a rotary chair test to rule out it coming from my good ear.
    To say I'm terrified is an understatement. I can take no meds and have to be MADE dizzy and nauseous.

I know the intention behind it is good but it feels like torture when the person ordering it has never experienced it therefore doesn't know the phobia and anxiety that comes with it. I'd much rather try my approach. LOL

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Hey, Saera!

4. Saera

Saera Active Member

Jul 5, 2019
    Hey Nathan, how are you??? So happy to be able to check in with you guys again!

5. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    In the swim, peachy keen, on the beam, up to code, hunky-dory, kung fu karate, & all that.

Sorry to hear you caught COVID & that your Meniere’s symptoms have amplified.

2020, right? In 2019 I remember everyone desperately yearning for the year to roll over & die so to give rise to 2020. Then 2020 came, & everyone was like 'wait, what?!'.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Saera

Saera Active Member

Jul 5, 2019

Isn't that the truth?? 2020 has been a shit-show for sure. Not that 2021 is looking much brighter, but we can hope.

Thank you. I'm praying that this rotational chair test won't be the death of me. I am terrified and keep having panic attacks at the thought. PTSD much? sigh....

Glad you're well!!! :)

7. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Hi Saera and Nathan!
    Sorry to hear of Saera's Covid experience.... yuuuuck.

I know exactly what you mean with the "whooshes" and the "oh shits". I get those occasionally, but they are very brief.

After my 3rd gent shot, I didn't have any vestibular hell to recover from. I was maybe I bit more wobbly, but nothing too dramatic like #1 & #2.

Sorry for not being on here much... without the horrors, I don't want to even think about Meniere's... just a touch of PTSD I guess! But I also want to pay forward all the help and support I've received here over the yeeeeeeaaaars.

8. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    I’m baaack. That last injection went fine. I really didn’t notice any balance adjustment. No vertigo since then until 3 weeks ago. My guess is that the funky hair cells grow back and start to act up.

In these 3 weeks, I’ve had 3 attacks. I see my ENT tomorrow, hopefully for another injection. And maybe a discussion about labyrinthectomy.

I’m terrified of general anaesthetic. Yet I wonder if my daily ups and downs of feeling like I’m on a boat, dysequilibrium, might improve.

Or whether I carry on like this, going in for top ups when the vertigo recurs, or even getting the injections annually as a preemptive thing.

I still have a bit of hearing (not much) on my Ménière’s side. I’m willing to sacrifice it for freedom from vertigo.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    I just had Gent injection #5 yesterday. I seem to get a recurrence of vertigo attacks (milder than the untreated beast, but still enough to get me very anxious and depressed) about 15 months after Gent treatment.

My otolaryngology doctor agrees now that if it recurs after this round, I can go for VNS or labyrinthectomy. I would go for the latter. I'm hoping I won't need it, but it gives me mental relief to know it's on the table, local, and not a long waitlist for that procedure.

Saera, how are you doing? Hopefully all fixed up and living your life!!

10. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    AnneT I hope that at this point of time you are feeling better. You have been through so much. Any decisions as to a laby? I keep my fingers crossed for you.

11. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Life is good again, after the traumatizing recurrence of vertigo attacks, and 2 more gent shots.

I'm starting to wonder if I should go for a pre-emptive gent injection every 12-14 months. Sigh. If the vertigo returns, ENT and I will really have to decide about laby vs. ongoing gent. At least I know that she is willing to do either, and understands my refusal to do VNS. My hearing improves slightly after the gent injections, though it's at moderate to severe hearing loss, and low word recognition.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    This is amazing news Anne! You made my day. May it last forever!!!

• Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  13. Arturo

Arturo New Member

Oct 26, 2022
    Connecticut
    I am considering the gentamicin shot but my ENT says that once one ear is taken care of the disease may migrate to the healthy side and it would affect my hearing in both of them.
    Has anybody hear this situation from their Doctor?

14. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Perhaps it’s a coincidence but… after the shot, my good ear started acting funny. I could hear own heart beat in it and I could feel the pulse in it. At that time my husband bought a CBD oil which I started taking . After a few days the ear calmed down and it has been back to normal since then.

15. Arturo

Arturo New Member

Oct 26, 2022
    Connecticut
    Thanks for your comment: my ENT thinks that it's not worth to take the risk if in fact the disease end up migrating to the healthy ear. He said that a steroid shot every 3 months is more effective, but it's not good when I get vertigo and have to make an appointment and be miserable for at least 2-3 days and taking a lot of diazepam or sleeping most of those days. Anybody has that advice from his/her ENT? perhaps a second opinion is the best way to settle this issue?
    Any feedback is appreciated.

16. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Hi Arturo
    If a second opinion is available that sounds good.
    Low dose gentamicin has a low risk of damaging your hearing, but a high chance of killing your vertigo (and balance, for awhile).
    I think the chances of getting Ménière’s on your other side is about 10%, regardless of treatment on your currently affected ear.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Arturo

Arturo New Member

Oct 26, 2022
    Connecticut
    Thanks, Anne, for you reply. Did your doctor mentioned the 10% or where is this information coming from?
    I appreciate all your help

18. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    I think I read the 10% in a medical article somewhere (I’m a retired family doc)