1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Is it worth getting prescription hearing aids ?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by yellowboy, Oct 10, 2020.

1. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    When my tinnitus started 2 1/2 years ago I went to 3 audiologists. At that time my tinnitus was up and down - a 2 one day a ten the next, sometimes changing pitch. Two audiologists were only interested in selling me aids. The only honest one said since you change day to day just get a pair of over the counter for now, which I did.

I was diagnosed with menieres about 3 months ago and now my tinnitus is a constant #10 roar in my right ear all the time . The problem is that when I turn the right one up to hear over the tinnitus and loud noises like a car backfire will actually hurt.

I was wondering if prescription aids will work any better, especially on the bad ear. I am also wondering if they help with the distorted sounds and tones I can't make out Thanks

2. Weeba

Weeba Member

Jun 19, 2020
    The key word here is aid. They are not perfect but I can't hear much without them. I think you can get aids that mask the tinnitus. I have behind the ear Phonak aids and I love them. They connect with bluetooth to my phone which helps tremendously. They also stream to the TV wirelessly so I turn the TV volume off so don't wake the wife early in AM. My aids are adjusted together so I can't turn one up or down. I have MD over 30 years and didn't get aids until my hearing leveled off. Aids are very expensive so if you can afford them I would say they are worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Thanks am giving Costco pair a try next week. If they don't work out I can always return them.

4. PleaseNoDizzy

PleaseNoDizzy Active Member

May 12, 2014
    It was absolutely 100% worth it for me. I resisted it for several years and to this day, regret my stubbornness. At the time I had major fullness in addition to the tinnitus and the Rx aids made a HUGE difference, especially in the fullness which had been unbearable at times. Plus of course the "added benefit" of better hearing.

• Like Like x 2
  5. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Thanks was going to do a for a "fitting" today but my Doc wants to do an MRI of my brain so he said to hold off for now.

6. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Finally got my aids. I didn't expect much and I wasn't disappointed. Of course they don't do anything for the tinnitus, fullness or distortion but they do pair to my phone so I guess for $ 2,700.00 I'll keep them just for that.

At least I won't look like a (total) idiot holding my phone on speaker with volume all the way up to my good ear - and still not hearing.

I can try for 6 months and return if I want - not sure I even want to be around that long with this BS.

7. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    My experience is that the hearing aids make the pressure seem even worse. Can't wear them if I am having the pressure. As far as the tinnitus, doesn't make a difference one way or another. They do help with hearing.

8. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Hearing aids amplify sound. My primary problem was distortion and hearing aids just made the distortion louder. If the primary problem is not being able to hear i think they would help. I had a lot of trouble understanding tv and closed caption helped me.

9. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    I agree on the louder distortion issue. I got Bluetooth headphones which I use for the TV (and phone as well) and they work better that the hearing aids alone do. I take the aids out when using them. It seems like when there is no distance between my ears and where the sound or speech originates from there is less distortion.

Closed captioning reading wears me down, and then when the translator falls behind they just skip over the last paragraph or sentence just when you need it !

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Mr. Tom

Mr. Tom Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Where ever I park my RV
    I have hearing aids in both ears. I have 0% speech recognition with distortion in my right ear and 87% in my left (both uncorrected). I also have Phonak aids and they are the cross type. In other words, the right one does nothing for the right ear and transmits everything over to the left side. I will say it is not the answer to all problems since I cannot locate sounds, but they do help overall.

• Like Like x 1
  11. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    sound from electronics, tv in particular, was the most distorted for me. I never knew why but i am sure there was a reason for those who understand physics. I tried the cross type but it was not the answer for me even though i had unilateral hearing loss.

12. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    "When you sit with a nice girl or boy for two hours you think it's only a minute, but when you sit on a hot stove for a minute you think it's two hours"

You now understand relativity, June.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    I am a little bored here, so I will answer this question. Most tv's have very bad speakers and it's unpleasant to listen even with healthy ears, so for that reason there exist soundbars and tv home sound systems
    I hope this answer won't annoy you.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  14. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    How do you reconcile the above sentences?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Nice to see someone who is little bored too:D
    These two sentences are only for June

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  16. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Place emphasis not on who it is you're speaking to, but rather whether you're aware of the way you speak, & ultimately, if you're capable of utilising your speech as a window to gain insight into your own behaviour.

17. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    You seem a little confrontational so I will step back.
    Good luck recovering from MD!

Peace!

18. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    Yellowboy - work with the fitter at Costco to adjust your aid as needed. I know after I was first fitted there were certain tones that actually hurt hearing; they adjusted. Key is whether you have a good fitter. Even at high fee audiologist's not all of them are good. I have a Costco aid now (have several Costco's within 20 miles) and ended up at 3 different locations - 3rd location had a better fitter that helped. I can't really say that it helped the ringing. Fullness fortunately I don't experience as much with the antivirals.

19. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Yes will do. My nearest Costco is an hour away but worth the drive over what Audibel wanted for aids. They are a used car lot selling hearing aids ! I am going tomorrow for my first tune up. My fitter is not an audiologist but there is always one on site.

20. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Well my aids are going back. I have had and used them for about 3 months now. They app and connect to my phone and I have allot of settings and adjustments in my phone for them.

The problem is that they do not (of course) relieve the tinnitus and distortion. So turning them up to hear over the tinnitus brings in all the background noise and makes things worse.

After trying all the programs in all different environments I find that the only use for them is to pair with my phone. $ 2,800 is too much to use them only as a Bluetooth device. They are not budget aids either. As stated earlier they would have been twice that at an audiologists. I have 6 month full money back guarantee. Going back in 2 weeks, won't use them now as if I lose them I own them for good.

I guess I will have to explain to more people now who don't understand this #%$@ disease and say "why don't you get hearing. aids"...........

• Like Like x 1