1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Antiviral preference?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Fisherman42, Nov 14, 2020.

1. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    Sorry, I was not clear (in any way) for my attribution of a general 80% success rate for the use of antiherpetic drugs (as proposed by Dr. Gacek). I recalled that some time ago, that general 80% success rate with antiherpetics was posted here by someone familiar with or using antiherpetics, perhaps in a medical practice. But since I didn't record or provide that specific information, my contention of a generalized 80% success with prescription antiherpetics cannot be substantiated. I'll retract it.

That's not the case, however, with the reports from users of my regimen, where lysine is the antiherpetic agent.

Here are the specifics of the user-provided results from those who have used my Meniere's treatment regimen of over the counter supplements, centered on lysine.

The first emailed record to me was in 2001. The last user account was received in February, 2018, a total during that period of 280 user accounts of the regimen's successes and failures.

Of the 280 accounts, 247 were positive, meaning that users stated that they gained welcome degrees of symptomatic relief. They often noted that the regimen worked far better than any of the previous therapies they had tried.

But 33 users stated that the regimen clearly did not reduce their Meniere's symptoms. For them, it was a therapeutic failure.

Those data yield an 88.21% success rate.

Is that equal to, or better than prescription antiherpetics? By comparison with the published Gacek study, my regimen was markedly superior. I've not found any study of any other Meniere's treatment therapy or protocol that approaches what users of my regimen have reported.

I wish I could post the 147-page PDF document that includes the descriptive text from the 240 regimen users, telling their specific accounts of how the regimen did, or did not work for them. But I assured these people that I would not reveal their names or any contact information; that what they reported would be revealed only to medical professionals who requested these data and therapeutic accounts.

That offer yet stands. I would be willing to email the PDF (which has no full names, phone numbers, geographic, or email information, just user accounts) to any medical professional wishing to scrutinize these 280 anecdotes. At 147 pages, there is a lot of text. After reading the first 10 or 20 pages, one anticipates what will be described in the remaining pages. Success after success, in so many cases telling about everything tried previously that did not work. Wonderfully (for these users), the regimen did.

--John of Ohio

2. John of Ohio

May 17, 2014
    Unfortunately, I did not keep accurate records of specifically when I stopped taking the regimen and started taking the vitamin D and the powerful multivitamin with elevated levels of the B vitamins. I recall that by 2012, for convenience, I had reduced my lysine down to a single 1000gm dose per day. I had been free of symptoms for a number of years before that, so I thought, for convenience, it was worth a try in slowly backing off. As noted, since then, not a hint of a Meniere's symptom. I remain deaf in my left ear. Nothing will be able to restore, there, the hair cell's the disease destroyed. But I no longer have any concerns or symptoms from Meniere's disease.

The important question, of course, is if one gains relief from the regimen, how soon could one go off of it? I don't know. I'd generally suggest continuing for 5 or 6 months, then slowly, incrementally reducing the daily dosages for a subsequent two three months. If at any time there is even a hint of any symptom returning, get right back on the full regimen immediately. Let it work for many more months. As has been experienced by me personally, and the majority of users who have reported to me their experiences with the regimen, for most, sooner or later, the regimen provides continuing relief. But I think that's best facilitated with the 5000 IU of vitamin D-3 and the suggested multivitamin.

--John of Ohio

3. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    OK John, judging from this info above, it looks like that AVs are unnecessary if you take the full JOH regime, right? Moreover, AVs have side effects taking them in such amounts and unfortunately I experienced them on my own.

Besides, why didn't you add the anti inflammation part to your JOH regime? Supposedly inner ear inflammation is causing hydrops in some cases.

4. April55

April55 Member

Aug 10, 2017
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. It will be two full years on June 21st so I think I will keep up your regimen till then and then reduce until I can try the vitamin D etc. Can I bother you for one more thing? Should I be totally off the original supplements before starting the D and multivitamin? Or can I take them along with the lysine, vinpocetine etc.

5. John of Ohio

May 17, 2014
    No, start the vitamin D right now, regardless, along with the multivitamin. That will not only support the immune system's suppression of herpes viruses, but likewise markedly reduce the severity or occurrence of COVID-19. There is no conflict or complications with both, the regimen and the vitamins, together.

--John of Ohio

6. April55

April55 Member

Aug 10, 2017
    Thank you so much John for all the information and help you provide to sufferers of this syndrome. I plan to add those right away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Could you please add the source to validate this info?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  8. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Also please add the source of this info too

9. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Also please add the source of this info

10. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    JonBubo, I think these two claims conflict with each other and according to logic, minimum one of these should be incorrect:

"The success rate of 90% was ONLY based on a one-off, very specific antiherpal drug acyclovir"

"I have seen too many who have had limited relief from Acyclovir get MUCH better relief from adding broad based antiviral and pathogenics."

11. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
  12. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    Fisherman - the Mylan version didn't work for me at all. I was started on Northstar with great results; a pharmacy refilled with the Mylan and I immediately had return of fullness etc. So for me...I will ONLY get mine filled with Northstar. (Just read that Mylan was purchased or merged with another big company that could be the reason for your Mylan issue) I truly think you will be good with Northstar.

13. Justme77

Justme77 New Member

Feb 8, 2020
    John, I went to my ENT in Norfolk/VA Beach, VA (Dr. Strasnick)and told him about your regimen. He told me he had never heard of it but would look it up and told me I taught him something. This was back in September before he referred me to PT. I am due to hear from him soon.

Late spring and summer I was put through VNG tests, you name it. I was diagnosed with Meniere's.

I've been following your regimen since March or April of this year and haven't had any major attacks since starting it. I am still having balance issues, some days better than others but no severe spinning/vomiting. (My last severe spinning episode that landed me in the ER was in February of this year.) So I think it's helping. I am in the time of year where the attacks get really bad so I have to be extra religious about it now. So far so good.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. John of Ohio

May 17, 2014
    Good to learn that you've had some symptomatic relief with the regimen. Continue with it.

But, now, consider adding vitamin D-3 to it. Very likely, if you have your doctor check your vitamin D levels, they will be low, insufficient, which means less than 20ng/ml. Vitamin D strongly supports the immune system, which, among other things, combats viral infections (including those by herpes viruses). Of course, check with your doctor, but I recommend that you take 5000IU of vitamin D-3 each day. After a month or so, that will get your vitamin D level above the effective minimum, which is 30ng/ml.

But to function fully, vitamin D also requires adequate magnesium. Most Americans are magnesium deficient. Here are the vitamin D and magnesium supplements I take each day. Frankly, I no longer take my own Meniere's treatment regimen, as the vitamin D and magnesium now sufficiently support my immune system:

Vitamin D-3:
    Vitacost Vitamin D3 Mini Gels -- 5000 IU - 200 Softgels - Vitacost

Magnesium:
    Kal Magnesium Glycinate -- 400 mg - 180 Tablets - Vitacost

For full support of the immune system by vitamin D, also at vitamin K:
    Vitacost Vitamin K2 (MK-7) with Nattokinase -- 100 mcg - 90 Softgels - Vitacost

Lastly, the immune system is also supported by adequate B vitamins. A good multivitamin is this:
    Vitacost Synergy Basic® Multivitamin -- 60 Capsules - Vitacost

This multivitamin provides 2000IU of vitamin D. With vitamin D above, this would 7000IU per day, very favorable. Or, the 5000IU of vitamin D could be taken every other day, providing with this multivitamin an average of 4500IU/day.

I've taken 7000IU of vitamin D for a decade (have never had a cold or flu in that period).

--John of Ohio

• Like Like x 1
  15. Pa Cowboy

Pa Cowboy Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Just started the D3, K2 and magnesium today. Even though I've been vertigo free for over a year now this combo of vitamins got my attention. Still taking the all the rest of the JOH regimen as well, along with valacyclovir.
    Soon gonna feel like Superman! LOL

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Pa Cowboy

Pa Cowboy Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Gotta hand it to JOH, you're ahead of the curve on this one.

HEALTH
    Published 10 hours ago
    Vitamin D, other everyday vitamins could counter coronavirus effects: report
    Studies reveal nine out of 10 COVID-19 deaths could have been prevented if people had adequate Vitamin D levels
    Using simple, everyday medicines available in your medicine cabinet or in your kitchen could counter the effects of coronavirus, a report said Thursday.

For instance, dozens of recent studies have shown taking Vitamin D is an easy way to fight COVID-19 and your doctor can request a blood test to check your overall vitamin levels, Dr. Peter Osborne with Origins Nutrition Center in Sugar Land, Texas, told FOX 26 of Houston.

"I think that's probably one of the smartest things that a person could do right now, with an unpredictable role of a relatively unknown illness," Osborne told the TV station. "What we do know at this point about vitamin therapy, particularly about vitamin D, a new study has come out and a new analysis has come out on what we know about vitamin D and COVID."

So far, here's what medical experts say: People with low vitamin D who get COVID have a greater tendency toward dying, have a greater tendency toward hyper-inflammation in the cytokine storm that comes with COVID, and have a greater tendency toward getting on ventilators, which is very bad because ventilators don't work very well for COVID, Osborne said.

"When a person's on a ventilator with COVID it's not a good thing. So, the outcomes aren't great, so if we can keep people off of ventilators and we can keep their immune system supported really well with nutrition, that ideally that makes the most sense," he explained.

Additional studies also revealed nine out of 10 COVID-19 deaths could have been prevented if people had adequate Vitamin D levels, the FOX 26 report said.

[​IMG]
    Vitamin D3 supplements (cholecalciferol). (Getty Images)

In the winter, Vitamin D levels are reduced because fewer people are outside and not soaking it up from the sun, the report noted. People need at least 20 minutes of sunlight every day to get an adequate amount, which is why a supplement is often needed to get to a healthy level.

In fact, some hospitals nationwide are even using vitamins as a treatment for COVID-19, not just prevention.

"A lot of doctors are now learning this and suggesting this as a form of treatment. At the East Virginia School of Medicine there’s a COVID protocol that includes Vitamin D, Osborne said.

So if you're hospitalized for COVID, they're automatically putting you on between 20,000 and 60,000 units of Vitamin D. This is part of their standard of care protocol in that hospital system, he said.

Vitamin D is one of the most simple and affordable ways to help you stay healthy, Osborne told FOX 26.

"Vitamin D is very inexpensive. You can buy it at the local nutrition store, and it might just save your life, should you get sick.

— Dr. Peter Osborne, Origins Nutrition Center
    "Vitamin D is very inexpensive," he said. "You can buy it at the local nutrition store, and it might just save your life, should you get sick.

"With vitamin D, there's a therapy that can be done that I recommend, and it's 1,000 international units (IU) of vitamin D per pound. So if you're 100 pounds, you would take 100,000 international units of vitamin D for three days. After that, you don't have to keep taking those higher doses, but three days of high dose vitamin D will elevate your serum vitamin D levels to adequate levels," Osborne explained.

He stressed everyone should think of boosting their immune systems using four different supplements – Vitamin D, Vitamin C, Zinc and Quercetin, a natural bioflavonoid that opens up the cells in your body so zinc can get inside, the FOX 26 report said.

While some hospitals are already treating COVID patients with all four of the supplements, Osborne suggested a few dietary sources of vitamin D like cod liver oil, fatty fish and mushrooms could assist people in their goal to reach the recommended daily allowance, but warned you would have to eat a lot of it.

Vitamin D, other everyday vitamins could counter coronavirus effects: report

17. EmilyP

EmilyP Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Florida
    Hi, I am thankful for this response and appreciative of your information. I am 2 1/2 years in, after suffering from mild, compared to others, symptoms. Tinnitus being the worst, I've had off-balance issues no vertigo at all. My balance is normal now. I have been on JOH regime and Acylavor 2800 mg a day for 2 years. My doctor has been great when I approached him about doing this type of regime instead of the diuretics and Elavil which made me very sick. I am Teladocing him Jan.5th to get my yearly refill of AV. My question: is being on an AV a lifetime thing? I've taken the Acylavor with pretty good results, is there a better AV? My tinnitus is low most of the time and a whining sound. I have much to be optimistic and grateful for and I agree with you we need that alot. This is a maddening disease. Thank you for your input and information.

18. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
  19. EmilyP

EmilyP Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Florida
    Thank you for your treatment regime, it has helped me greatly. I've been on it 2 1/2 years with Acylavor and am anywhere for 85 to 90% good, tinnitus is my remaining symptom. Thank you so much!

20. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Very recently, researchers at the University of Alabama at Birmingham have found a connection between gray hairs and viral infections. In mice, they noted that when a stressor such as an infection triggered the immune system, it responded by attacking a gene called MITF, which helps melanocytes function properly. A shortage of MITF triggered the immune system to further attack the melanocytes, which led to gray hair. Until we can turn that gene on or off, your best bet is to maintain a healthy immune system to fight off viruses and do everything you can to avoid autoimmunity. Some of the more advanced anti-aging experts believe viruses are causing far more problems than we believe and take an antiviral drug like acyclovir every year. It has side effects, though, and the jury is still out on whether the risk-reward ratio is a good one.

A direct link between MITF, innate immunity, and hair graying