1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Does Your Tinnitus Change When You Move Your Jaw Or Face?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by BT1, Dec 26, 2020.

1. BT1

BT1 New Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Hi Everyone! Fairly new to the forums, told my story of Meniere's last week, so thank you for the responses!
    My question is, does your Tinnitus change when you move your jaw or face? I can change the tone of mine when moving my jaw. I notice when I move my jaw/ cheek closer to the ear affected the Tinnitus gets louder.
    I know many of you do have this, but what does this mean? Very curious as to why this changes the tone. Thanks in advance!

2. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    It could be that your MD is TMJ related
    Have a good read:
    TMJ

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  3. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Yes mine does - it's gets a real "twangy"sound when I move my jaw. I am going to look into this TMJ-MD relationship further. I not only have TMJ (and have been wearing a night guard for 10 years) but I also have a C5-C7 cervical fusion.
    I am seeing an oral surgeon in 2 weeks to get a tooth pulled so I'll ask him to point me in the right direction.

4. BT1

BT1 New Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Yes, mine seems to be TMJ / teeth related as well. After my first vertigo attack within a few weeks I began to notice clicking of the jaw so one assumes they must be related. I also have a few crowded teeth and have also had issues with grinding the last few years. I do wear a basic mouth guard on the nights I feel any jaw tension. I have also began jaw and ear exercises, which seems to be beneficial if I do them regularly. Dr. Adam Fields has some great euthacian drainage and TMJ videos online to help me with my exercises which really help! Within 5-10 minutes of exercise I can feel a huge difference. Best of luck!

5. SurferGirl

SurferGirl Member

Nov 7, 2020
    Ear exercises? Please elaborate...

6. SurferGirl

SurferGirl Member

Nov 7, 2020
    I am hoping my NEW recommended (by my primary care physician) TMJ dentist will be able to relate the Meniere's vertigo with TMJ. So far, all I have received is denial from both ENT's and dentists. I am absolutely positive there is a connection. Yes, my tinnitus changes with head position and when the TMJ is bad. I have spent over $8,000 in dental appliances this last year alone for the TMJ with so-so relief. I have been using custom night guards for 30 years. I saw an oral surgeon who, after taking an panoramic x-ray, declared he didn't treat TMJ!!! So how DO you find someone who can connect the two and fix them!! I also have an appointment with a Meniere's ENT, expecting to get the Gentamicin injection after having had 4 steriod injections. So frustrating.

7. BT1

BT1 New Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Yes ear exercises! Go onto YouTube and check them out. Dr Adam Fields is great. Dr. Mandell as well. Not sure if this would help you, but definitely worth it. Just by massaging different parts of the ears, jaw and head you would be surprised.

My journey with ENTs and Dentists haven't given me much of an answer.

The TMJ dentist I saw last year suggested a night guard at a total cost of $1500+ including follow-ups/ adjustments, x-rays etc. Decided to hold off on the expensive guard as many aren't much better than a $30 option at the store.

I've noticed my Tinnitus seems to always feel like there is a blockage somewhere within the inner ear, when swallowing or yawning I hear a crackling sound to it from time to time as well.
    The TMJ on that same side (left) makes a clicking noise when opening and closing the jaw. Both my ear and jaw have been doing this on and off for 10+ yrs. I've been grinding my teeth at night for at least a few years now too.

I find the exercises make a HUGE difference, my problem is that I haven't done them consistently.
    This past week I started doing them daily/2x daily if possible and notice a big difference, always great to feel relaxed! Good Luck! Hope this might help.

8. SurferGirl

SurferGirl Member

Nov 7, 2020
    THANK YOU!!! I'll definitely look into it. ANYTHING that may help is worth the effort.

9. BT1

BT1 New Member

Dec 17, 2020

These two are great for the ears and TMJ

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. SurferGirl

SurferGirl Member

Nov 7, 2020
    I tried both. Thank you! I felt some relief immediately with the TMJ video. I'll need to work on the ear exercises but I can see where this may be beneficial. Very helpful!