1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Vitamin d3

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Kevin Lewis, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Kevin Lewis

Kevin Lewis New Member

Sep 1, 2020
    Hello everyone....Question about adding D3 to my JOH regime. I recently had my annual blood work done and my vitamin D level were spot on. I have noticed in some posts that a level of 5000 iu is a good starting point. Does this seem like an excess if my D blood levels are fine.

2. Jenski

Jenski New Member

Apr 5, 2020
    Hi Kevin,
    According to most standards, sufficient values for vitamin d are between 20-80 ng/ml. If your test results are on the lower end of that scale I would supplement with a quality brand of d3. For people with chronic conditions like cancer, diabetes and autoimmune disease, its common for doctors to target a level on the higher end of the typical sufficient range. Studies show that some Meniere's cases can be of autoimmune origin, so I believe that's why some people on this forum may be taking 5000 iu of d3. Everyone processes supplemental d3 differently so it's difficult to guess how much you'll need to take to achieve a goal on the higher end of the scale to possibly help with your Meniere's symptoms. It may be best to start with a daily smaller dose and get tested after a month to see if there is much change and you could adjust from there. I brought my levels to 50-60 ng/ml and it's made a huge difference on helping to keep my immune system healthy. Your body will store excess supplemental d3 so over time your levels could continue rise, if you decide to take supplemental d3 it's probably wise to get tested after a month or so and then annually to make sure there's not too much build up in your body. Getting d from the sun is the best way but sometimes it's not enough for people with chronic conditions. It's hard to overdose on d3 but always best to discuss taking new supplements with your dr too.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Autumninthefall

Autumninthefall Active Member

Aug 10, 2019
    Yes,you can take too much. Here’s a good reference for you:
    Too much vitamin D may harm bones, not help - Harvard Health

4. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    Read the Harvard article. It claims that doses above 4000IU "may" reduce calcium in the bones. If this is so, it is because magnesium was also insufficient, along with vitamin K-2. Both are vitamin D cofactors, never mentioned in the article.

Of course, hundreds of thousands are now taking 5OOOIU of vitamin D, many now for five to ten years. Ever read about the problems those dosages caused? Nope; because there are none. Please, someone post an article telling of the specifics, in real people, who have been harmed by 5000IU of vitamin D-3. Look hard. There are no such stories.

--John of Ohio

5. Autumninthefall

Autumninthefall Active Member

Aug 10, 2019
    Please excuse the brevity, John. Perhaps it would have been better had I phrased the sentence in my last post, “Yes, you can take too much for your individual needs.” *To me, this is helpful in the sense that I’m not someone who needs 5,000iu of vitamin d/day, so I don’t have to spend money on more than I need. Quality supplements are expensive(this is subjective, of course) but I have to be thrifty.

~The article also specifically points out the need, for those with conditions like Crohn’s/Ulcerative colitis, to increase their intake
    ~I found it particularly useful to know that many studies/results of studies are now available showing how useful vitamin d is or is not for certain conditions.

Stay well:)

6. Kevin Lewis

Kevin Lewis New Member

Sep 1, 2020
    Thank you all ....I think I will start with 2000iu and continue to monitor. I have another blood test coming up in 3 months and we will look at my D results.

7. John of Ohio

May 17, 2014
    2000IU of vitamin D, generally, yields a serum level of about 20ng/ml. That's insufficient. 30 to 60 ng/ml is the better, useful range. Many physicians, however, still think 20ng/ml is adequate. It's not (according to Hicks and many other vitamin D experts).

--John of Ohio

8. Kevin Lewis

Kevin Lewis New Member

Sep 1, 2020
    Thank you John...If my D level as already at 48 ng/ml is there not but a couple of options here. Take the 2000im and get that number even higher,in this case approx. 68, or find that 48 is fine.

9. John of Ohio

May 17, 2014
    There is no problem, and perhaps some benefits to elevating the level to 68ng/ml.

--John of Ohio