1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Covid/Vaccine

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Bulldogs, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Good stuff June! Quite a relief isn't it!

Feb 4! That is quick - must be Pfizer. I am also Pfizer, first shot Jan 9, appointment for 2nd shot on Jan 30 = 21 days.

Fingers crossed!

Golf game still sick o_O

• Like Like x 2
  2. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    The comedian Steve Martin had a good line about it.

I have good news and bad news. The good news is I got the vaccine ...... the bad news is I got it because I am 75.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    since you bring it up, I am a little worked up because they scheduled my second shot 17 days out not 21. The cdc site says do not schedule early. A declarative sentence. Then it says if it is given within 4 days on either side it is acceptable. But they scheduled it 4 days early just like the cdc said not to do, because they are geniuses. If i call to reschedule, will they run out before I get there? Would you have Dr Fauci call me please?

4. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Hmmm, yes, I see your concern. I would call them and discuss it, see if they are holding that second shot for each appointment and if you can reschedule. Can't hurt to call, or if you can't get a knowledgeable answer on the phone, go there.

• Like Like x 1
  5. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    I got my first vaccine Moderna yesterday. I will have second shot on Feb. 18. No issues so far. I was very impressed with the volunteers and how organized the process was. Was in and out within 40 minutes which included the 15 minutes of waiting to see if I would have a reaction. Donamo I am playing 18 today so I have an excuse if I shoot over 100

• Like Like x 3
  6. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    update
    I talked to the health department today and was told that yes, the cdc says 21 days but pfizer info advises 17-21 day interval which is why they are scheduling like that. I will accept that and be happy to claim mine asap.

7. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    June - yep, that sounds good. Now you can relax and look forward to getting that second shot!

Redwing - I think that is a great excuse and should be reusable for at least 3 games. After that, there is the stress and anticipation of the second vaccine. How can anyone focus with that going on in their head?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. eveva

eveva Member

Jul 30, 2020
    Big question! Do we stop AV med while be vaccinated? My concern is interference with the vaccine, not giving the immune system to do the job. Is anyone read on this topic? I can only find on the Internet the interference between Valtrex/Acyclovir with Varicella vaccine. But Varicella is alive virus injection. Looking for common knowledge!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    FWIW, I didn't stop taking AV's and have no intention to. I don't see any conflict.

10. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    The antivirals like valtrex are for viruses in the human herpes family. The vaccines are against spike proteins in the corona virus family. Seems to me to be very far apart, pretty much the only thing in common is the word virus. But i am not a doctor or virologist or have any other special knowledge

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lax12mom

Lax12mom New Member

Oct 5, 2017
    I got the Moderna shot on January 20. I had been off my antivirals for a while. I get a 90 day supply and I’m still on my June bottle. Well 4 days after my shot I get that off balance feeling you get when you feel like your going have a bad day. Sunday night was I was dizzy and nauseated. I did not go to work Monday. So now I’m back on my antivirals hoping to get this under control before my next shot on February 18. I wonder if this means my meniere’s is caused by the same herpes virus that causes cold sores but in the ear. Best of luck to everyone!

12. Rhall

Rhall New Member

Sep 28, 2020
    Hi all,
    New to the boards but thought I'd chime in here. I received the Pfizer vaccine Dec 18th and my second dose on Jan 8th. No issues other than a mildly sore arm. I had a pretty good nap the day after the second, but honestly really hard to tell if that was vaccine related, work related or age related....lol! All good otherwise!

• Like Like x 3
  13. eveva

eveva Member

Jul 30, 2020
    Thank you for detail explanation. I think I understand that should not be interference between AV and vaccine, but I stopped taking Acyclovir for a week before my first shot which is coming in 4 days. Now I am afraid of dizziness and nausea may come after the shot, as it happened to at least one of us - "Lax12mom" (see above). My low weight, age of 75, and sensitivity to small dosages of drugs make me nervous that my symptoms may come back. Not sure what to do !

14. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Cant tell you what to do. Everyone is different. I am 72. I am not low weight or frail.

After my first shot I just got a sore arm. I did have what I think is a little bppv in the weeks between the shots but I do not think it is related and it resolved itself. My husband had it at the same age years ago.

I got my second shot yesterday. I was prepared to have a fever and be pretty sick for a day or two based on the experience of someone I know. I had the shot at 9:30 am. Felt nothing by the time I went to bed last night. Today I feel washed out. I think I will just watch tv all day. I have heard that the younger you are the more likely you are to have a big reaction although I do know people my age who have. I thought about it like when I debated whether to have the shingles vaccine since I was known to have responded well to antivirals implicating a herpes virus in my cochlear hydrops. The ear doctor said, yeah, but if you actually get shingles it will be a lot worse. That is what I thought about the covid vaccine. Getting covid might kill me. The vaccine doesn’t kill you and the reaction just lasts a day or two. I have a couple of relatives in their fifties who have Covid now Nd it is pretty rough.

15. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Hey June,
    You will be fine in the next 24 hours.

my second shot threw me around a little bit with a slight fever, took some extra strength Tylenol and was feeling great the next morning except for a sore arm.

Get some Gatorade or Powerade and stay hydrated, very important!!!

congrats !!!! It is one less thing you have to worry about. Go give those grandkids a big hug.

Joe/BD

16. eveva

eveva Member

Jul 30, 2020
    Hi Joe and June,

When I said "don't know what to do" I meant to stop AV during the vaccination or not.
    Joe, when you was at the trial did you continue AV?
    June, are you on AV currently and did you stop for vaccination?

It is my believe that three things are essential to control my episodes: L-Lysine, AV and B5/B6. I don't know
    which blood test to use to see if several months on AV had effect on my very old herpes virus.

Hope we all be free to be more out to see friends very soon!
    It feels good to hear from the forum friends! Thanks

17. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I am not currently on antivirals. I dont know of any reason to stop but you probably should ask your prescribing doctor.

18. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    right you are. I feel light years better today. I am curious. Werent you in the JNJ trial. Was your second shot JNJ or did you also get another vaccine? Maybe I missed this in one of the posts.

19. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    I had a minor Meniere's episode a couple of days after my second shot. I woke up at night to go to the bathroom and found I was all sweaty all over - not the type from being too hot but more of a "I'm sick" type. I also was off balance. But that was it. I was fine in the morning and have been ever since.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mary Santiago

Mary Santiago New Member

Feb 14, 2021
    Hello Joe,
    This is my very first post to this site. I see you say you are a very healthy 50 year old male. Do you suffer with MD? Is that why you were posting, because you successfully received the Covid vaccination and with your MD, your body handled it well?
    I just had the second dose of Shingrix vaccination and had a vertigo attack the same night. This had made me question what would happen to me with the covid vaccination.
    Thanks!
    Mary